Desktop TL / BLH with 3Fe25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First try!
No damping yet but everything fits as it should!
JPEG_20200303_123143_6998434399075690837.jpg

How does it sound?

With very little damping, this is a fiew result around the livingroom from REW with variable smoothing, the peak around 600k is noticable but it does sound decent. The driver have only seen about 15 min of music before the test as well.

Will probably serve well as a satellite in a 2.1 system.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-03 174103.png
    Annotation 2020-03-03 174103.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 252
Looks like you are getting 85Hz - very nice. That 600Hz peak is strange and might be a TL resonance as it corresponds to a 11in long 1/2-wave distance from one surface to another. Damping/stuffing might help.
Yeah I will look in to where that might come from. I must say that after the eq adjustment they sound surprisingly large! And 85hz sure is unexpected for the size.

The total volume of the outer dimension of the speaker is 2,8 liters... Cant really understand how it goes to 85hz! after some listening time the sound starts to grow on me and it sounds pretty impressive, with the eq enabled...
I have -15db on 650Hz. I have been measuring in the model and it seems to be the resonance frequency of the housing itself rather than a TL resonance, and some tapping on the "back panel" seems to confirm that. Hopefully some damping should solve that, if not, i can actually play with the behavior since the panels are 20% filled at the moment, meaning that i can make them 80%more dense just by changing the printer preferences.

The speaker have to be put in the housing before i put the two halves together and after that i screw it in place in pre threaded holes. There is just enough room to fit a small bit between the screw and the front baffle, but it is just enough to actually make it if you put it backwards in this mini ratchet. So if you glue it together there is no (sane) way of getting the driver out of there!

Edit: added some pictures of the fluffy damping from an old pillow, and a size comparison to a xbox controller.

View attachment 822069 View attachment 822070 View attachment 822071 View attachment 822072 View attachment 822073 View attachment 822074

Last edited:
@ elleman
Where can I find a STL file ?

Philippe

It is too large to upload here (14 megabyte) but i have attached the STEP file if you have the ability to convert. One of the halves was printed with a radius of 15mm (like in the renders) that ended up pretty ugly due to the high speed printer settings, 0,8mm nozzle and 0,2mm layer height. The other half was printed with a 45 degree chamfer instead as you can see in the actual pictures. If you have fine settings and a lower layer height you should be fine though.

Attached is the radius version just like in the renders, but let me know if you would like it differently.

Attachments

• 0,25_heavy_Mod_mk2.zip
    291.7 KB · Views: 63
So to separate what printing is good at and what its not, i changed the side panels to be able to be made out of wood. that would drastically reduce printing time as well as making it over all easier to mount the driver add damping, and make it "serviceable".

getting the complex milling in the side can easily be done by printing a guide. The majority of my prints have actually been router jigs for other speaker builds.

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• Wood_version.jpg
    Wood_version.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Wood_version_2.jpg
    Wood_version_2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 251
Printed, a set of the miniOnkens with similar wall-size would be of similar size and go a bit lower so i don’t find tha surprising.

A nice job. What kind of printer?

dave

Ultimaker 3 with very rough settings at the moment to quickly get the Prototype. 0,8mm nozzle and 0,2mm layer height. Still a print time of 10h per side.

When i have settled on a design it will have a much nicer surface finish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.