Designing an 8" 2-way using the SB23NRXS45-4 and SB29RDC-C004

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well technically it is stated at 92dB for 2.83V/1m, and as it is a 4ohm driver that's 2 watts, it's a little misleading, the woofer sensitivity is more around 89dB. So the 87dB target sounds pretty good to me.

I've noticed no one has designed a crossover with a BBC dip at the crossover point. Now, I don't know if it is an antiquated philosophy at this point or if people just don't bother with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the concept.

I have another question, this might be a little stupid but oh well. When is was modeling the box for these drivers I noticed that you cannot achieve a smooth roll-off and good power handling, ie. keeping the cone excursion within Xmax. My question is, do manufacturers add a highpass filter bellow the -3dB point of the woofer as low-frequency protection of sorts.

I had a pair of wharfedales with a series 470uF cap on the woofer for that reason. Unloading is especially a problem with ported designs. Others more knowledgeable may be able to offer PXLLO, DSP or other solutions to over-excursion.

I've noticed no one has designed a crossover with a BBC dip at the crossover point. Now, I don't know if it is an antiquated philosophy at this point or if people just don't bother with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the concept.

My current 3 ways have a 2 - 4KHz dip. This isn't to help off axis response as to tame the brightness of the Seas L15 metal driver I'm using as a midrange. It is one of the failed aspects of that design, is that I couldn't get it to sound right at any crossover frequency and slope. I tried from 1.7KHz - 2.7KHz (the lowest being the safest for the tweeter I'm using). The same tweeter was easy to integrate (lower order slopes too) with a paper cone midrange.

My solution was to lower the output at the crossover point (currently 2.3KHz) which provided the best compromise and easiest passive crossover design without going component crazy and getting the phase alignment I wanted.

With all its faults, the 3 way design has a clarity and detail the paper cone speaker lacks. I'm a sucker for a good metal cone and bass.... my next quest is to fine complimentary drivers with lower harmonic distortion. An RSS390HF / SBA17NBAC and SB26ADC combination is on the cards... although I might try a satori as a midrange in the above too.

When doing simulations, I always think validity is improved if more than 1 person arrives at the same result. I just had a chance to sim up my files albeit with slightly different baffle diffraction effects from Dave Bullet's, but I come up with just about the exact same results using his schematic values. Phase alignment is just about perfect with a nice simple and clean topology.

Nicely done.

Attached is with my files and Dave's xo in XSim.

Attachments

• SB FR.jpg
    SB FR.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 334
When doing simulations, I always think validity is improved if more than 1 person arrives at the same result. I just had a chance to sim up my files albeit with slightly different baffle diffraction effects from Dave Bullet's, but I come up with just about the exact same results using his schematic values. Phase alignment is just about perfect with a nice simple and clean topology.

Nicely done.

Attached is with my files and Dave's xo in XSim.

Thanks. To be fair, my design wasn't actually mine. It was Douglas' topology with some adjustment values for increased BSC and a shunt resistor on the woofer capacitor just to help the slope for phase alignment.

I also like when other converge on a similar outcome using different tools and maybe tool setup methods. Provides some confidence.

I attach the RAW SB Acoustics measurements "factory" and data, plus the FRD files I used applying the baffle step and diffraction ripple of the enclosure meeting kristians layout preferences "in box" (woofer above tweeter).

NB: I lack the knowledge on how to apply an enclosure response to a factory impedance curve - so I used the SB acoustics ZMA files for both

(Remove the .TXT on all files)

Attachments

• SB23NRXS45-4 - factory.frd.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SB23NRXS45-4 - factory.zma.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 23
  • SB23NRXS45-4 - in box.frd.txt
    13.5 KB · Views: 30
  • SB29RDNC - factory.frd.txt
    13.5 KB · Views: 21
  • SB29RDNC - in box.frd.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 24
  • SB29RDNC - factory.zma.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 24
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well I haven't made any purchases yet. I am a little confused and overwhelmed with all the crossover designs. There seem to be a lot of opinions on how to design the crossover for this build. I assume the answer for which design is best will be: which one sounds best in the real world when built.

I would appreciate if you could upload your .dxo files so I can take a better look at the designs and try to understand them a little better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.