Denafrips Terminator II WIMA Caps

Looking for opinions. I'm a new owner of a Denafrips T2 DAC. Interesting piece, what is also interesting is their choice of WIMA caps. MKS from what I can tell are used in the filtering section, and I think FKP on the output. I've had mixed to poor results with WIMA polyester in the past, maybe in the filter section they might be ok, augment/bypass the electrolytic bank, but on the output and/or coupling the DAC resistor ladder, I would have chosen different if I were designing maybe.

Interested in opinions. I was looking at some Charcroft Audio Silver Mica as a possible FKP replacement, fitting MKP will be tough and wouldn't want to make a mess of it visually. Some polys in the filter section would have been nice, what are the thoughts on this? It's as good as it gets with WIMA MKS/FKP?

Attachments

• IMG_8640.JPG
    IMG_8640.JPG
    863.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8642.JPG
    IMG_8642.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    483.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 98
I played with MKS & MKP long time ago. Mks as I recalled had a heavier tone with not good highs but looking at the multitude
of parallel capacitors, my guess is that the mks are used not only as bypass but also to balance out the sound. Regardless of what others
may think, in my humble tweaking & moddding experience PS is a very important part in achieving good SQ. Btw contrary to what many
might think, low esr is not the be it all in PS, a balance has to be achieve at different supply locations to achieve good sound

Reactions: 1 user
From my work 100% agree. Where it's clear, at least to me, the difference in film caps in PS towards SQ. Interested in the output FKP - at least I think they are. Wondering what a high grade mica might do there - like Charcroft w/ silver leads, etc. Fitting MKP will be tough and not sure 100pF.

Well I’m interested in opinions, subjective or otherwise. I myself don’t have an analyser, although from many projects have developed preferences and ideas on components. The Charcroft Silver Mica seem like an interesting offering and suspect a better SQ experience than Wima FKP, particularly right on the signal. Interested in other experiences, for or against this idea. Increasingly I’m of the opinion WIMA are not the last word in SQ despite how many manufacturers use them - FKP, MKS, MKP etc. and may even prefer Epcos MKP, but have had excellent results with Mica in general from past projects, although mostly CDE micas.

CDE good stuff. Im not one who looks or measures components. I listen for changes but I always tweak 1 spot at a time.
Audio tweaking/mods to me is like cooking, add to much of 1 seasoning you offset the taste, hence my suggestion is to parallel
onto the Fkp to have a listen first.