Delsol- inexpensive full range bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
eah, thanks for the tips!!!

I have an old junky table saw in my kitchen that I use from time to time. It could probably use a tuneup. it would make my projects look better too no doubt.

course, I am usually just aiming for an end sonic result. I have eventually found that selling my experiments to friends at modest prices allows me more feedback, a little cash to cover parts expenses, and keeps the clutter down in my apartment.

so getting a table saw right is important for me right now...

Clark

I've done a little research at Home Depot.
They sell PL premium construction adhesive, my favorite glue. It is $3.89 in the glue section. It comes in a caulk gun tube.

They also sell removable weatherstripping called "Seal and Peel" made by DOW it's $4.29 and is in the same section. I use this both for speaker gasket, and to temporarily put a face on a cabinet for testing that I'd like to disassemble later.

2" PVC is available in 2' lengths for only $2.69

Spasticteapot said:
Does anyone know how well this speaker would work if built out of, say, acrylic?

Acrylic sheet as is "plexiglass", or the acrylic based mineral filler laden solid surface materials ( i.e. Corian, Avonite, etc.) ?

Due to the cost and fabrication intricacies, I've yet to hear any DIY speaker made from the latter, My only audition of a commerical (Full range) product was quite underwhelming .

planet10 said:

I don't know about that... IMHO MDF is not a great speaker building material (unless you are a speaker manufaturer trying to keep costs down)

dave

I don't know about that. Some of the most expensive speakers in the world use MDF. I believe the Wilson Watt Puppys are partialy MDF. I agree with you that MDF is generally hard to design with and I have not gotten good results with MDF but many extremely high end speaker designers are using it. In the end, these guys are not worried about an extra hundred bux for wood in a 40,000 dollar speaker.

Tom

Hi, great looking project. I am about to do something similar with Fostex126e drivers. I like the front treatment of the boxes. Along with a K-12, I use Sonic Impact Super T amps for driving my subs and when the K-12 is out of service on my main speakers. I have both regular T amps and the Supers. The difference is huge. Better bass, cleaner mid and top bout doesn't lose that detail and almost tube like sound. I understand that Sonic Impact is bust, but places like Parts Express still list the amps. $US139 isn't real cheap, but they are hard to beat at the price.

Good listening
gofar99

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.