Delsol- inexpensive full range bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

Probably fairly well. Th K-12 I use has been rewired to ultralinear and probably only delivers that and I find it quite adequate for the much less efficient speakers I use (87 dbw). My sense is that for most listening we only actually need about a watt and the rest is for headroom (peaks). IMO as long as the amp can handle the peaks Ok the sound will be fine. That is part of the reason a K-12 is my main amp.

Have a great day
gofar99

new development

The latest Delsol evolution.
amp6 , custom NIMH pack, 10 lbs. Loud, efficient, small, more to come.
I'll have a tutorial up within a month, I hope.

Attachments

• delsol.jpg
    delsol.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,138
Ignore the fs, it does far better than the numbers indicate.

Hi,
I just looked at this implementation with the Aura 3 inch driver and came to the conclusion that with the information given, no one but the designer of this speaker can be sure if it’s a good design regardless of what is said here above.

I’ve designed with more than 100 of those drivers in many different enclosures but I never came up with a dimensioning that is even close the suggested one.

There is a spread in sample data that should make difference if used, but I believe not as severe to be a coincidence and fitting this Delsol-box.

This box suffers from a huge peak close to 90-100 Hz with my T/S data and is under dampened with no control from the port back to the driver, thus the driver is as in IB condition.

I’ve tried both port lengths it makes no difference.

When tested in a ported box simulator, MJK: s ‘of course’ and only the box volume, driver position and the inner port were simulated, I immediately saw that the box must ’?’ be defined in a sort of very simple reflex box simulator because now the port was controlled as should be, but still severely peaking at about 110 Hz.

By the way, there is no way to use programs like WinISD or similar to predict the Delsol speaker other than what I just commented in my reflex box simulation test.

As no simulations or measured performance is shown anywhere ‘?’ for this speaker project other than hearsay.

One more thing before I finally build these things...Does the front have to be curved like that or is it just for aesthetics? Can it be like your boom box is?

This question, I think is quite superfluous and I recommend; don’t build this box until measured FR data or a simulation with all simulation data is available.

Is there any possible rescue to implement?

Yes, by either use driver acoustic dampening or by the use of derived closed or reflex box methods like: closed box leakage dampening or dampened box/dampened vent and even the use of a BBC method, the double cavity vented box where if an acoustic resistance is the box divider, no notch will occur on the FR curve.

b

Attachments

• delsol-innerport.gif
    delsol-innerport.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,511
I wouldn't jump to conclusions with the T/s parameters alone. After all, the manufacture states that there is a tolerance of +/- 25 percent...or atleast that is what has been discussed in this thread. I dont like using graphs for all my conclusions. I rather go off someone who has actually built the enclosure and go off of his opinions....A simulation can only go as far as the accuracy of the parameters...

Im still going to ahead and build them, pending the question is answered by the original designer. It seems like a fun project to have at the office...

Fast1one-
The front is curved for aesthetics. Use 1/2" BB ply for the front baffle, planet10 is right MDF is inferior here.

Bjorno, thanks for your input.
From the first post in this thread -"I present this as an experimental starting point, and welcome suggestions."

I don't design by simulation. I build and test.
In designing this driver, I reduced box size as much as possible, while maintaining a good sound. Using larger boxes can give better results with this driver.

While far from a severe problem, You are correct this box may benefit from more damping. I'll let everyone know when I find an improvement that doesn't kill the life that the sound in this box currently has.

This projects' cost is extremely low. My hope is that it will give potential enthusiasts something simple to start and learn with, possibly sparking in interest in more advanced projects.

I think this project fills a need that isn't addressed. Namely a simple bookshelf size fullrange speaker that isn't compromised by crossovers and filters, and is a good match for t-amp, and low watt enthusiasts.

Audio systems are getting smaller. The high end hasn't really recognized this yet.

Pekar

Oak should work fine.
I did extensive testing and comparison with the TangBand W3-871S, and found that they never worked in the same cabinets. I generally preferred this Aura to the W3-871S.
I did really like Cyburg's needles with the W3-871S. That's the most impressive 3" I've built to date.

shallbehealed said:
Finished mine this afternoon. The speakers are wicked bright, but I left them on when I went out to dinner and I can already hear them chilling out a little bit.

I'll post a full review when I feel that the drivers are broken in.

decent sound, but not nearly as good as i was hoping for. maybe for use as a desktop speaker, but certainly not useful as a small room bookshelf.

Hi Shallbehealed,
Can you be more specific?
Posting pictures of your speakers and setup might help us to suggest things that will improve the sound.
Of course, there's only so much you can expect from a 3" driver!

Hi okmrbh,
I'm glad you like this design.
We'd love to see pictures of your build, and details on how you're using this speaker as well.

Pekar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.