Death of Zen 15 watt Power Amplifier

I'm going to jump on the old thread chain. I have a troubleshooting question. Fyi, using the schematic from rods site. I am able to get bias set at 1.7a off a 24v power supply. However at the output it says to set v1 to half of input. But mine seems to max out at 3.1vdc. What am I missing?

I dont have the 2200/4700uf capacitor and 1k resistor in place at the output. Would that make the difference?

DOZ - Death Of Zen 15 Watt Power Amplifier

Hi all.

The existing threads on DOZ seem to be about complains targeted to people who are not related to this amplifier and/or hollow debates on the supiriority of one amp over another.

So here is a thread where we can concentrate solely on DOZ as a standalone amplifier which produces music comparable to the sound of the best DIY Class-A amplifiers available.

I built both Capacitor coupled and Direct coupled versions; both with their advantages and disadvantages. The cap coupled version has less demand on the PS filtering and is less complex, while the direct coupled version has more stable bias and subjectively cleaner sound with no capacitor in the output and the feedback path.

Cheers...

PS. No Flaming Please, Comment only if you are interested in DOZ in a positive way.
Hi sir am from India which Driver trasistors you used in ur project plz mention. Thankyou

G
For the interested.

This is the exact schematic I used in the direct coupled version, everything except the power transistors are on-board. The diode-bridge+zener+bjt regulator for the opamp was a first time for me and it works well with no bad effect on the turn on/turn off event; i.e. no thump/click/pop etc..
Hi sir which use tlo72 this circuit plz rply

Hi Shaan,

Many thanks for the explanation. Recently I too came across a similar issue while I was building a Philips 40 W amp. I replaced the power supply filter caps (12000 microF, 100 V, one for each channel) with another brand, and the sonics improved right away. Funny thing is, the swapping was only for aesthetic reasons and I was not in the quest for any sonic changes. However the audio got "cleaned up": my subjective assessment is that the original caps were introducing TIM distortion in the amplifier.

Keltron is a Kerala Govt company based in Trivandrum. At one time time they were reporting losses; anyway good to know they continue to make good capacitors as before. Actually with the proliferation East Asian caps, I hardly see them in Bangalore these days !

cheers,

Reji
Hi bro am from Trivandrum kerala

Philip,
I prefer the DOZ of course. But, I absolutely do not recommend it to anybody. I say, build it if you are curious, listen your favorite music through it and then keep it if you liked the output or discard it if it's not upto your expectations. What "I" like or hate is totally a personal preference and I think you should not take my likings into your consideration for a possible candidate for your own amplifiers, whatever music you like to hear. I like all kind of music, from Indian classical to dubstep. And I love listening them through DOZ, more than any other amps I built. I don't have those expensive systems like Marantz etc., but have listened to many of the expensive instruments at many places, mostly at my friends' and relatives' homes and recording studios; they sound very appealing. I wanted to build something which could give me the same pleasure. I built that something, love its sound. But you may well hate it. I may well run into making remarks like how "warm" "sweet" "firm" or "fat" the DOZ may sound but if I do so then this thread has gone down the drain.

I simply can not/should not convince you about the sound of DOZ. But Rod Eliott can teach you what you need to know before starting to evaluate the sound of a particular amplifier. Read through his site and you will have 50% clear idea of that "Class-A" sound, the rest you will underestand when you build your own class-A. I, however can tell you these, SE class-a sounds different from PP class-a, pure SE sounds different from phase-splitting SE(like DOZ), symmetrical class-a sounds different from assymetrical class-a, VFB class-a sounds different from CFB class-A.

DOZ's high amount of low order distortion makes its sound pleasureable to my ears, so I listen to it.
Hi shan sir i came start your desian circuit. Pls think use +27 0 -27 volt is ok?

IMG_20220926_223751_816.jpg