Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I have an HP Envy (with NVMe SSD) onto which I tried installing Daphile from the USB ISO. But Daphile can't find the drive for target installation. I have tried formatting the HDD as ext4, ms-dos or without any partition but no luck. I also tried creating partitions manually creating DaphileBoot/DaphileData paritions again not working. Last thing I tried is cloning the USB onto the HDD.... I can see the Daphile boot on startup but Daphile wont start. Laptop is EUFI and Secureboot is off (instllated Windows and Ubuntu previously). USB run and installation onto the USB works fine from the laptop.
Please let me know any other think i can try. Thanks.

You need an un-formatted drive. When you boot the installer USB stick with a connected screen there are a series of options including clearing any drives for use with Daphile.
Note that you may need to make some changes to the HP bios settings to have the drive recognised.
Hit F10 during boot and navigate the bios to find these.

@DRONE7 Thanks for the reply. I have tried those options i.e I got the HDD deleted without any partition leaving it unformatted. I also tried all sorts of BIOS changes but Daphile would still not recognised the drive.
Where do you find the options such as clearing the drive when booting from the USB Installer? When I press F1, i can only select the language , setup Lan/Wifi and the next screen only shows available drive to install (never see my HDD there)

General questions, which I hope are easy to answer...

I'm looking to make a little laptop music player, and Daphile looks like a good fit. My plan:
  • Buy one of those educational/student Dell laptops for <$100
  • Wipe the built in 64GB eMMC to remove Win10 Educational and install Daphile instead.
  • Connect an external HDD for the music.
  • Connect my USB DAC.
  • Send the DAC's analog audio out to my stereo's line inputs.

Simple, right? My questions:

1) The proposed laptop runs a Celeron N3450 (1.1GHz) processor. Supported? Adequate for the task?
2) The proposed laptop has 4GB RAM installed. I don't think it can be expanded, but I assume that will be enough. No?
3) Will Daphile install to an eMMC and will it fit comfortably within 64GB?

Thanks!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
@rongon

Adequate, yes. Support, it's up in the air. Start with a version of the same vintage a the processor, if possible. Work your way up till you find something that recognises the eMMC and installs. Then upgrade in-place.

4GB RAM is more than sufficient. With the slow CPU being your absolute limit in this case. Large playlists will take time to load, and it might take a few minutes for the media server to become available after boot, and you may need to turn off things like database auto-update (which can take 20 or 30 minutes for a large database).

Daphile fits on 8GB SD card, so no issues with space.

@aditya

It should run fine on any x86 SBC with a DSI connector. It will not run on ARM, but I've heard of people using it inside a VM on Linux - maybe you can get it onto a Pi or similar that way, if that's what you're looking for. Touchscreen support is limited to KMS + USB - no DSI support natively.

I got inspired, or at least I'm indulging my obsessive tendencies, and burned a bootable partition to an 8GB USB thumb drive I had rattling around in my drawer. I've booted from it successfully and it's on the network, both through Ethernet and through Wi-Fi. I'm able to use it headless, but how do I control it from the laptop it's booted from? I see the Daphile banner with the msg 'Ready Use the Web Interface' IP address 192.so-on-and-so-forth. I can use my phone or a different computer to load up the UI from a web browser, but can't I load the UI locally on the laptop on which Daphile is running?

A few minutes later, after some reading...
It looks like Daphile, once installed, is meant to be used headless, only.
The only reason a monitor, keyboard and mouse are necessary is for setting it up, correct?

Last edited:
@DRONE7 Thanks for the reply. I have tried those options i.e I got the HDD deleted without any partition leaving it unformatted. I also tried all sorts of BIOS changes but Daphile would still not recognised the drive.
Where do you find the options such as clearing the drive when booting from the USB Installer? When I press F1, i can only select the language , setup Lan/Wifi and the next screen only shows available drive to install (never see my HDD there)
So the drive is not showing in the F1 options or as available for install. I know that Daphile can install to NVME so it suggests a formatting problem.
However, 3 things to check...
-is secure boot disabled in bios on the HP?
-which version of daphile are you using ? beta or release ?
- are you able to install on another device? ie remove another devices drive and install the NVME then install Daphile and finally move the NVME drive to the HP Envy.

@DRONE7
Yes secure boot is off
I have been trying both beta and releases... not sure if i tried release when I wiped all the partitions (i.e unformatted drive)
To get going, I did manage to install on a SD Card from the USB. However, I cannot boot via the SD Card when inserted in my HP Envy laptop....
I wouldn't mind if I could boot via the SD Card as a workaround as its much faster than USB Boot....but again does not work on my laptop

Hello. I'm trying to install Daphile on a Beelink Mini S with N5095 processor. But after installation, the internal server is not accessible. The advanced settings are empty. I also get the message "Invalid backend configuration. Readable volumes not available" . I will be grateful for any help.

I also had mixed feelings about the local UI. My plan was to use a small touch screen LCD panel with a single board PC to allow easy control while sitting at my desk, but the touch screen calibration was off and I couldn't seem to improve it. If not for that, the local UI would have been functional for my purposes, though it's not as nice as a 'modern' use experience.

I don't like it, to be honest. Lots of weirdness to how it reacts to the trackpad.
Same here - just was wondering "if it's me". Wonder why they just couldnt do the same page as you get in a remote browser?

I think I remember actually doing that one time. Set up a linux based music server on a laptop - with the "logitech" web page that just pointed back to itself, rather than a different system on the network. I somehow added in all the support for the graphics and browser on top of a system that didnt have it initially. This was probably 10 years ago so I cant remember anything

"I think I remember...This was probably 10 years ago so I cant remember anything"

I have the same problem ;-)

( I recall there were 3 of us users asking for a local UI back then. You may have been one :) ...why use another device when the laptop could do it all. I've not looked recently but I don't think the UI had any love once added and I succumbed to the LMS way.
For a local UI on a laptop check out

wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system​

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/wtfplay-project-linux-based-pc-playback-system.287712/

Last edited: