Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

QQ please.

I have a redundant Dune HD Smart D1 sitting in a box at my summer home. It works fine but I simply don’t need it any more for anything else. When I finally fetch up for my holidays I might tinker with it.

As it is in essence a fanless computer designed to act as a media server, and it runs on a version of Linux, I wondered if it might be a compact and elegant Daphile candidate.

Has anybody here successfully put Daphile on a Dune box before? If so, any tips please? I can’t seem to get into bios by tapping any F keys for example but I think there’s a way of getting in using a usb drive through a developer’s menu.

(Incidentally, I am still wrestling with the Naimnet server but more on that later.)

Thanks

P

Dear all, I have a problem with my installation of Daphile on a Zotac miniPC, reading files from my QNAP NAS.
I'm using it since years, but I have the problem that sometimes it does not recognise the drives and I have to manually push on the "Retry" button, or restart the PC. It's only happening sometimes, not always, and it's driving me crazy!
Any suggestion? Drive is connected as CIFS
I have a similar issue. I found that the very best version for Daphile connecting to my network drive with cifs is 19.01. After that release something happened to make it much more unreliable so I'm stuck on 19.01. I did reach out to the Dev team but no luck.

It's strange that it occurs occasionally. If the mount was issued before the network comes up it would always not work. BTW, I have a wired connection which I find to be much more reliable.

I was looking to upgrade from the iFI nano DSD DAC (bought in 2015)
to iFi NEO iDSD Desktop DAC but I feel with the limitation of Daphile
(PCM resolutions up to 384kHz/24bit) it is pointless?

The NEO supports PCM data to 32-bit/768kHz, DSD up to DSD512
and single and double-speed DXD.
I only use this to connect my Daphile mini PC to the receiver for 2-channel
playback as have been using the iFi Nano DSD. Never for headphones.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Anybody been able to use huge playlists? I've been trying to load a playlist with ~24k songs and it just seems to freeze DAPhile (the webUI screen is stuck showing a "loading media server" message). I currently have DAPhile set for no limit on playlist length (but I have also tried a 30k limit for example), and my install is on a 6th gen i7 machine with 8GB of RAM so the hardware can handle a playlist that big.

quick question...

Why can't I access Daphile UI on an old iPad 2 (Chrome browser) but I can access it on my phone with no issues? same wifi network, same ip address, etc. I just keep getting a black screen on the iPad.
I just noticed that you are using Chrome. I can't get Chrome or Firefox to install on this older iPad, but I've tried Safari, Puffin and Dolphin browsers. Same black screen on all of them, so I don't think the browser matters. With Puffin it shows "Error 102 (net ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) when loading URL (my Daphile IP address)".

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
quintosol:

I haven't. That said, persistent efforts to reset the player pays off.

I really like Daphile and would be very happy to use it over the long haul. That said, I find that the resolution to frequently and/or widely occurring issues seem very slow in coming. I'm not blaming Kipeta, whose support for Daphile is remarkable, but it seems that (unlike most of the threads on diyAudio) few other members are knowledgeable enough to definitively answer persistent problems. Of course, you get what you pay for.

Regards.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
User base is very small, and the application being closed source is not helping. Eventually there will be migration off the platform simply because of its multiple issues. I'll say this, most of the problem is with how hardware requires software to interact with it. Older versions of Daphile on older hardware have essentially zero problems. Most of the issues started with TPM and hardware encryption being baked into device firmware. Since Daphile ships as an operating system rather than an application, it has to deal with a bunch of increased kernel security requirements, which wasn't the case before.

At least, that's my guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Older versions of Daphile on older hardware have essentially zero problems. Most of the issues started with TPM and hardware encryption being baked into device firmware.
Hmmm...wander what the end game is when you run that out to the limit in time? It was fun while it lasted. The pirates have more stake than some single developer wanting to make use of all the boomer hardware lying around, to get it to do something useful again.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
User base is very small, and the application being closed source is not helping. Eventually there will be migration off the platform simply because of its multiple issues. I'll say this, most of the problem is with how hardware requires software to interact with it. Older versions of Daphile on older hardware have essentially zero problems. Most of the issues started with TPM and hardware encryption being baked into device firmware. Since Daphile ships as an operating system rather than an application, it has to deal with a bunch of increased kernel security requirements, which wasn't the case before.

At least, that's my guess.
I'd say that this is a very good guess.

From my piCorePlayer experience, something can work perfectly for 10 years, then, out of the blue, it doesn't. It feels like we spend most of our development time maintaining the status quo. I can see how these projects get to the stage where the resources for development are completely consumed by the maintenance. One would guess that the joy of creating these "free" projects is doing the development, not continual maintenance. Also, one man band projects have a single point of failure.

Reactions: 1 user
doing the development, not continual maintenance.
I have to wonder if the Wintel crowd changes things just to keep people busy. I'm pretty sure it has to do with that part that needs I2C programming on every power up is 0.01 cheaper than the one that just atomically "comes on and works" when power is applied.

I'm also sure fighting off hacker's virus innovations must be a similar level PITA to Wintel, so I'm with some sympathy to what they have to contend with to still make a clean (support-less) sale. As long as those guys keep them busy putting up new hard and soft fences, that's going to spill over into the "I'd like to make this new hardware do something without a WOS"'s camp.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have to wonder if the Wintel crowd changes things just to keep people busy.
It's because the average user is, like it or not, basically illiterate when it comes to using the internet, and end up installing tons of malware that ends up as a security problem for those of us who are careful, and for large organisations and governments. The security movement has been mandated by the need to reduce spyware/malware/cyberware, 99% of which runs on Windows which is far and away the biggest operating system in use in the world.

What definitely does not help are the additional bloat and spyware that Microsoft decides to add with every version of Windows, making it more cumbersome to run, require more powerful hardware, and aloow for your data to be farmed. It also has become less efficient with time in workflow, thing that used to take a single click in Windows 10 now require digging through menus and interfaces. When the TPM movement began, Daphile took about six months to catch up because the Linux kernel update that added compatibility for TPM took four. Thus I was not able to even install Daphile for a long time, as older installers did not even recognise the hardware.

Hi, I'm trying out Daphile and had a quick question. I found this extremely long thread, but let me know if there's a better place to ask!

I run my LMS on kubernetes so I'm not sure what to put for "Media Server: External: Server Address" because it could be on any node. Pi core player seems to automatically find the where LMS is running. I tried to leave this field blank, but it switched to running it's own LMS. Any thoughts?