Daniel Hertz Levinson M1 wow

For that money I would at least expect the screw heads to be lined up precisely but the man behind these is Mark Levinson who has a long track record of charging ridiculous prices.

totally agree
I would not pay that much of money for a speaker that looks like a coffin. going active will make the whole thing much easier to tune than passive speakers. Designing fullrange passive loudspeaker that sounds good is a challenge that ML probably would not get himself involved in

I don`t want to dilute the thread but two months ago I saw the Burmeister B25 which was priced at around EUR9, 000 and the build quality was ridicilous. They were behind a glass display so couldn`t take a pic but joints were worse than on no-brand EUR150-200 loudspeakers and their grey front panel was even not centered properly.

BTW, did you notice the PVC pipe in a $100K speakers?! Oh! Mr. sound (ML) would better to erase the printing of the pipe with some white spirit

attachment.php

4004-080.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    915.4 KB · Views: 1,807
Last edited:
I don`t want to dilute the thread but two months ago I saw the Burmeister B25 which was priced at around EUR9, 000 and the build quality was ridicilous. They were behind a glass display so couldn`t take a pic but joints were worse than on no-brand EUR150-200 loudspeakers and their grey front panel was even not centered properly.

Many, many years ago not long after the Berlin wall fell Sony moved their european HQ to Berlin and also opened a service center.
A kid I knew indirectly applied for a jobs with Sony and Burmester.
Sony declined because his soldering skills were not up to scratch, Burmester said 'When can you start?'.
He really wanted the Sony job because they were paying better...

The only way we could prove to be smarter than Mark Levinson (Daniel Hertz) is if we could sell the result for $100k or more. I think we'd fail miserably on that measure. ;-)

Here's how the hifi business works in 2018:

step 1) Make an incredibly pretty box and put some drivers in it

step 2) Slap a $100K price tag on it

step 3) If you're lucky, there will be one or two idiots who'll pay you full price for the thing. If not, you can cut the price as low as $5000 and still make a profit.

Basically it's easier to find three dumb millionaires who'll pay a $95,000 markup on a $5000 speaker than it is to find fifty seven people who'll pay $10,000 for a $5000 speaker. The profit is the same, but the former is way less work.

Reactions: 1 user
a footage of M1 speaker. The cabinetry of this speaker IMO is no way in the $100K-ish league. just look at those self-tapping screws

attachment.php

652190d1513804704-daniel-hertz-levinson-m1-wow-eminence-lt250-jpg

The horn is installed wrong. The diffraction slot is supposed to be vertical.

I made the same mistake, back when I was learning about horns. When you look at the thing, it doesn't make sense, you think "the wide part of the horn should be horizontal." It just seems intuitive.

But that's not how it works.

The diffraction slot 'squeezes' the wavefront into a ribbon shape, which allows for wide horizontal directivity.

Installing it the way that Levinson has is no good; it means that the *vertical* directivity will be wide, which means more sound bounced off the floor and the ceiling, while narrowing the sweet spot.

Plus, that's just a terrible horn. It's like a clone of a bad design from the 70s.

High frequency horn flare

It's not the TLC or the Beyma.
I searched quite some time for all kinds of horn flares. Attached a picture of the Italian workshop with the horn flare in front on the work desk. It seems a very, very short horn with an unusual horn throat, not square and not round. Any one has an idea of the brand?

Attachments

• DH-workshop.jpg
    DH-workshop.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
in this picture there are two horn and the one in the left side of the picture definitely seems to be made of wood.
and ML is undoubtedly using Hypex UcD400 OEM in his products. UcD400 OEM definitely lean toward a clinical and lifeless sound contrary to Ncore series and the flagship of Hypex Nc1200 that sound musical, lush, vibrant. this tells me something. that Daniel Hertz speakers are not that much complicated in choosing drivers and also in design and implementation. with a DSP the tweaking is much more easier. that 12" driver in a sealed bot seems not to be able to produce anything around 90hz without an active bass transform that could be done using DSP.

m11_amplifier_daniel_hertz_05.jpg

"The M1 employs a high frequency horn only 7.5 cm deep (3”) with a bandwidth of 1.8 kHz to beyond 20kHz. The actual efficiency of this driver is 115dB/1W/1M. A 12” driver reproduces sound from 80Hz to 1.8 kHz. An 18” woofer reproduces sound below 80 Hz, generally limited by the capabilities of the room itself. The drivers are capable of generating over 130 dB SPL if powered by 4,000 Watts."

the speakers should also suffer from beaming. that 12" driver won't be happy going all the way up to 1.8khz. all in all I think there is nothing to remarkable and special about this active loudspeaker but selling 4-5k worth of drivers and Hypex modules as a 100K$ product is definitely a highly special skill.

There is also a M4 model that is similar to M1 but uses a 15" woofer instead of 18". that seems better considering WAF.
If I was about to build a speaker in this concept I would use a woofer like Faital Pro 18FH500 or even smaller 15FH520 or 15PR400 and cross it just below 100hz. Beyma 12P80ND-V2 (smooth diaphragm version, not ribbed) or Faital Pro 10PR410 would be my choice with an active bass transform. and Beyma TPL-200H crossed @ ~1300hz LR4 with a passive filter. I would also use Hypex DSP and one NC500 to driver the woofer and one Nc1200 do driver the satellite. a multibit R-2R DAC will complete the chain. maybe something like Denafrips Aries or Audio-GD R28. I don't see a reason why would such a system sounds not better than Daniel Hertz.

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 239
Dave123

The only reason will be the Beyma crossed at 1300hz,,it does not sound good so low

and yes . i have tried it

Daniel Hertz crossed the 12" at 1.8khz which I think would pose some beaming problems. I've crossed TPL-150H at 1.35-1.4Khz LR4 without any problem and impact on trebles.
not mentioning the speaker itself, Hypex UcD400 OEM sounds so dry and mechanical. probably the worst-sounding Hypex I've ever heard for a stereo system intended for listening pleasure (not studio monitoring, etc...). Even LP (low profile) version of UcD180 OEM sounds much more musical than UcD400OEM. Once you switch from UcD400 OEM to Nc1200 you'll notice a huge difference and you can't go back in anyway.