• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board - version 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Daniil,

i don't know whether you use windows or linux. I use linux and there it is an issue that the amanero is part of the soundcard and the modules has to be loaded at startup properly. When i power off the DAC and let on the pc then the usb is not online by next poweron of the DAC. I have to reload the mpd client. When i power on all from offmode it is important that the DAC is on first for the hardware is to detect from the operating system.
Perhaps this is an issue in windows too??

greets jogi

I did a substantial upgrade to my HQ-Audio Dac. I replaced both I/V resistors ,the 20R on the DAC PCB, and the 4K7 on the I/V board, with Z-Foil nude Vishay.

It is like a new DAC! The music improves by a large margin. It is an expensive upgrade but worth every cents for me ;)

I bought my resistors from Parts Connexion, parts are:
-22R, VISHAY-73795 15.95U$ ea, QTY: 4 (I know insane price...)
-4K7, VISHAY-73806 15.95U$ ea, QTY: 4

See the main Z-Foil resistors page:
Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z-FOIL RESISTOR

Warning: On the DAC PCB you need to remove the existing small MEFL resistors. That need to be done with proper care and using the correct tools. Doing so can damage the PCB and would certainly void any support for quanghao. Don't do it if you don't know what you're :gasp:

Attachments

• Nude_Vishay.jpg
    Nude_Vishay.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 464
This upgrade makes a lot of sense if we look at the circuit topology. The ES9018 output goes directly to I/V resistors of 20R, that's it. It goes then to the IV PCB. So this 20R resistor is the one making all the music really...
You need to remove the existing pcb small resistor to install the Nude Vishay. There is provision on the dac PCB to install larger resistor than the smd one, nice design again, thanks quanghao.

Then the IV PCB, if you look at it in details and I did ;), is made of the following main sections: Shunt regulators supplies, Discrete V/I amplifier (probably from the dCS dac), one selectable I/V resistor (that's the one we select to get different output voltage), finally a discrete mosfet power amplifier to drive the output. A servo insure there is no DC offset and allow no output coupling capacitor. That's it.

We can see that this I/V resistor is also central to the sound of the IV converter. Here we can simply solder the nude vishay and move the jumper, one set is empty on the board probably for a custom output voltage.

I used the same value than the default one, 4K7. It allows plenty of voltage at the output, and it is very useful to drive the headphone directly.

Finally, since the DAC design is balanced from start to end, you always need to have one IV resistor per side, per channel hence a total of four resistors of each value is needed.

Algar thanks for the information!
I'll try this tweak later this fall.
DAC sounds very good in original too. Especially with Lundahl transformers I/V :)
Very happy with it...
Ps: if using a computer, try HQplayer and convert PCM to DSD "on the fly". Best sounding result so far in my system.

regards Micke

DAC received this morning

Quanghao,

Just wanted to give a quick update that I received my DAC! It looks beautiful!!!! :)

I haven't yet had a chance to test it out, but I'm sure it will be fine.

THANK YOU for all of your hard work on this project.

Kind regards,

Steve

Open to suggestions

I tried re-installing the Amanero driver and fiddling with the settings again, still no DSD joy. The laptop is running Windows 7.

With PC both LED's at the back of the board are on steady. With DSD one of them flashes.

Result is the same whether I startup JRiver first or the DAC first.

This is a complete assembled unit.

I just received my DAC and set it up. I am using USB from a laptop running JRiver. I configured the JRiver options as shown on the AudioDesign site (the screens don't match up exactly), however, I cannot get DSD to play properly after trying a bunch of different settings. It skips/stutters. PCM works fine over USB.

I am able to play DSD from JRiver just fine using my Buffalo II with an Amanero board.

Boudy,

Have you tried swapping to a different cable between the computer and DAC? I've repeatedly read on various websites about folks having cable issues that show up in weird ways. I'm sure it's a known good one. Go buy a new one anyway just to be 100% sure!

Hope this fixes the problem!

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited:
I tried re-installing the Amanero driver and fiddling with the settings again, still no DSD joy. The laptop is running Windows 7.

Result is the same whether I startup JRiver first or the DAC first.

This is how I make it works on my v1 DAC and v18 JRiver:

1) Download and install Amanero Win Driver and ASIO Driver.
Amanero Technologies
Index of /asio

2) JRiver Config.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for the suggestions

I tried a few different cables, no difference, no surprise since my older Amanero board + Buffalo worked reliably (there may be a lesson here...).

Boudy,

Have you tried swapping to a different cable between the computer and DAC? I've repeatedly read on various websites about folks having cable issues that show up in weird ways. I'm sure it's a known good one. Go buy a new one anyway just to be 100% sure!

Hope this fixes the problem!

Good luck,

Steve

I have JR 19.0.146 so the screens are different.

ASIO with the Combo 384 driver is fine with PCM, as soon as I enable DSD (native or DoP) the left LED blinks and the audio has dropouts. Same thing when I try Kernel Streaming - PCM is fine, DSD is not.

The front panel does display the correct format.

This is how I make it works on my v1 DAC and v18 JRiver:

1) Download and install Amanero Win Driver and ASIO Driver.
Amanero Technologies
Index of /asio

2) JRiver Config.

ASIO with the Combo 384 driver is fine with PCM, as soon as I enable DSD (native or DoP) the left LED blinks and the audio has dropouts. Same thing when I try Kernel Streaming - PCM is fine, DSD is not.

The front panel does display the correct format.

So I have an older Amanero, and just got foobar working with DSD.

In the end, for me to get it working I needed to install the Amanero asio drivers and to update the Amanero firmware.
He has good instructions for updating the firmware, its quick and easy. The hardest part is you need a little piece of wire to short out between two holes.

Randy

Hello, group buyers!

Just to share some findings:

1. Should anything go wrong with your shunt reg on the first version of the DAC, changing both NZT transistors helps.

2. Concerning Unlock issue and carousel of all the formats at startup, CAAD was right. Although multimeter shown good continuity something was wrong.
First soldered jumpers on the downside of the board, but it did not help.
Then I removed all the PS jumpers and soldered pieces of wire instead.
Now everything locks perfectly.

For me it seems that there is a room for improvement in quality control procedure, but again this is DIY and I had a lot of fun fixing these small issues.

Thanks Andrea and Hao, this DAC really shines.
I'm running Lundahl output with Amplifier End project of Andrea and I do state that my system has never been so close to real music performance.

Kind regards!
Daniil

Hi Caad, Daniil

could you please tell me the exact jumpers you soldered. I cannot find jumper 7 or 9. In the manual there are J1 - J6, J+, J-, but no J7...

My DAC doesn't have jumpers on the downside. What are PS jumpers?

I want to check these jumpers too.

Thanks, jogi

Last edited:
Firmware update?

Which firmware file did you select in the application?

There are instructions on both the Amanero site and the AudioDesign site, but neither indicate which file to load.

So I have an older Amanero, and just got foobar working with DSD.

In the end, for me to get it working I needed to install the Amanero asio drivers and to update the Amanero firmware.
He has good instructions for updating the firmware, its quick and easy. The hardest part is you need a little piece of wire to short out between two holes.

Randy

Andrea,

I prevoiusly had a problem with unlock and strange dac behaviour. Caad suggested to solder power supply jumpers and it seemed to work.
But today I connected my TV via optical cable and the issue came back. You can see the video in the attached file.

Could you suggest what to do?

Attachments

• Unlock.zip
    859.1 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.