DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

The DAC plays all possible musical genres like nothing. It works like a crisp Swiss watch. I don't know how PCM63P-K plays but this Y version is top-notch. No bugs - chopping or anything weird. This PCB is perfect. I have never heard such a vivid sound coming out of headphones.The smile does not leave my face. :love: :worship:
even i play some 56k~128k online radio, sound beautiful, amazing, :devilish::devilish:

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to ask the difference on sound signature among AD1862, AD1865 and PCM63.

I think all of them sound beautiful.
all of them sound beautiful, all sound signature are nature, comfort, instrument full of shape, i cant describe that feeling, because its a feeling, like mikorist said, "The smile does not leave my face", mouth cape raises i dont know why........ :devilish::devilish:

Reactions: 4 users
How long can the i2s cables be? I was thinking of a 2 box solution, with the Toslink i2s in one box and the dac in another box, using with an xlr.

It is known that shorter is better for I2S. I had the opportunity to change the wiring in one DDDAC a couple of years ago. And there was a little more than 30cm of flat ribbon cable for the I2S connection. I could not change that because such a PCB layout was already done. And it worked well. I was comparing it with my DDDAC where that link is shorter than 10cm. And there was no big difference, nor did it cause problems in work. The USB/I2S board is WaveIO in both cases.

Attachments

• DDDAC1.jpg
    DDDAC1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 133
It is known that shorter is better for I2S. I had the opportunity to change the wiring in one DDDAC a couple of years ago. And there was a little more than 30cm of flat ribbon cable for the I2S connection. I could not change that because such a PCB layout was already done. And it worked well. I was comparing it with my DDDAC where that link is shorter than 10cm. And there was no big difference, nor did it cause problems in work. The USB/I2S board is WaveIO in both cases.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

this was what I was looking for!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I2S was invented to be short, i.e. inside cd players. The two box thing was a marketing trick to make you spend more monney then the I2S signal was multiplexed on a wire for that purpose. They didn't think at Philips Sony than people would change of dac chip and later diy with re splitting in three the I2S signals as the pro world did sometimes.
properly shielded 3 AES cable is certainly the best idea to swap I2S the frontend and the conversion if really needed for whatever bad reasons and will need here extra diy efforts. Longer length as said is jittery while some argue it doesn't matter too much with pcm chips. But jitter isn't the only problem. Better also not to cross and sandwich such signals between a jumper of a higher current and a ground plane.
Best bet : short less than 4 inch, uf-l or like properly grounded cable, in the same box. It was said before with layout example from member pictures in that thread so I am a fool to repeat.

Last edited:
If do so, can it directly skip the shift registers and result to sound more beautiful?
I am not sure that JLsound I2Sover usb has shifters in of that speed and quality. It's too damn small.
And the sound of the PCM63 depends entirely on the shifters.
I have resistors of 0.1% on the shifters - Kemet capacitors - a separate PSU2 and transformer for it - the separation goes to the atoms of sound. The stereo effect goes into an infinite number of dimensions. It is unbelievably good..... :love: :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user