DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Joined 2018
Paid Member
@zatopek I have a spare board. PPY v1.3. I just got it sent over from Germany! Happy to send it back again.!
5gbp shipped to you.

Sligo....love it. Maybe nearly as sketchy as my trial set up!

I got my VRDN built and am trying it at 12v in place of the Salas Ubib. Just for interest. Shall report on it after some listening. So far sounds very good but maybe has lost a little 'something ' over the Ubib

Last edited:
Got mine fired up last night....could not wait to tidy up so all a bit sketchy but superb sound out of the gates.
Connected it to another SD Player with older A Morei clocks and great soundstage and separation.
Have the new A Morei clocks to test next :note::note:
Thanks Fran for all the help and support!!

Great stuff!! another one lives!

For info - there are a few of us Irish diyers who are making this DAC together so hopefully we will have a few green Miro dacs!

@jimk04 I am using miro's PSU build.
I have ordered some ALD-HPULN PS Dual Rail 2x2,5A units which can be configured to plus/minus i think, to see if they make any improvement.

Miros-PSU-Build.jpg

:) i see more and more C-Core traffos on this thread... that's a good thing... :cool:

+1 and half too for the Guinessssssssss !

That's R-Cores @diyiggy, both rare nonetheless. Audiophonics carries some (OEMs from China I guess) but I've never read a review in comparison with the well-regarded Selectronic ones.
I wonder did anyone did a comparison between traffos used in R2R DACs.
I decided to use a custom one for DIY AYA II and I have a choice of toroids (by Toroidy), C-Cores (by AE Europe, cost an arm and a leg) and EI cores (by local supplier). It's hard to source a custom made R-Core and I wonder if it is worth the effort

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yeah R-Core (double C-core)... after few drinks, my alphabetical is less accurate !

Ah , I have a tons of Selectronic ones, they are very good (they were made in India). No tested the Audiophonics' yet . I have a 14V R-Core from Japan (refurbished from a Sony cd driver).

So my Miro's use two Selectronic R-Core as an other one discrete withethe same chip and my main daily dac with tda1541A. (which is an Aya dac as well )

In my subjectie hearing tests : the Selectronics r-Core I have beated the torrids and classics, these last made by a serbian company that are making good traffo for AUdial (i have their EI isolation/symetrisation EI traffo too but prefered after listenening test a Selectronic R-Core (but I have no Earth in th living room

R-Core is a plus. I found a little good link : Power Transformers for Audio Equipment | audioXpress

Last edited:
PCB for 1862N DAC

@jimk04

... sorry for late reply. Would be terrific if you could leave that board to me. If you give me your account no I will transfer the amount you will tell me to you and you can ship once money arrived. Is that OK with you? I never tried with Pds but have done several times with US-$ so there's no reason it shouldn't work with Pds.

Which version of the board is it? THT or SMD for the opamp? Will sure take either one but THT is simpler to solder.

Got mine fired up last night....could not wait to tidy up so all a bit sketchy but superb sound out of the gates.
Connected it to another SD Player with older A Morei clocks and great soundstage and separation.
Have the new A Morei clocks to test next :note::note:
Thanks Fran for all the help and support!!
(noticed you were talking about a different SD player in TWTMC thread, so moved this to here)
The LRCK on the yellow sd player feeds through an IC (a multiplexer for a DSD signal I believe), For best results with Ad1862 it should probably be bypassed.

(noticed you were talking about a different SD player in TWTMC thread, so moved this to here)
The LRCK on the yellow sd player feeds through an IC (a multiplexer for a DSD signal I believe), For best results with Ad1862 it should probably be bypassed.

Good catch, I have not used that card for over a year and just had a quick look and I see the chip (ZF7K). Maybe that's why the reclocking after this SD Card work well. Worth bypassing this chip alright

I have received the dac and PS boards from pcb maker they look awesome. Nice design with small traces for digital and wider ones for signal/Power.
Question: ground plane is on underside, which solder island does need to be soldered, upper onder, or both? Is see the through holes are all metallised so a solder blob wich is flowing, would maibe solder both sides in one action?

AD1862 dac

Just a quick update on the progress of the AD1862 dac board designed by miro Just finished building it, but without use of the opamp i/v. Instead I utilised 1/2 of the Pass D1 i/v that is, without the source follower. The Pass D1 i/v is built on a veroboard and powered from +/- 30v supply regulated by LM317 and LM337; with the raw rectified and capacitor filtered DC supply from a separate box.

The Pass D1 i/v was adjusted for 1 ma current output from the AD1862 by replacing the drain resistor with a 3K resistor and a 6K6 source resistor.

The Dac board is powered from a pcbs utilising LV's De-Noiser and the i2s is from a RPi zero.

The sound as presently built is excellent, with abundant details and the timing is such that you want to tap your foot to the music played. A very natural and organic sound

Great stuff. Will attempt the PCM56 design next when I have some time.

Attachments

• photo6075777500358749128.jpg
    photo6075777500358749128.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 405