DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
.... Yes we can,

here the communist party censor team version to keep their people inside the country if they viewed the original clip: they had to order the flat pack version of this song for their local youtube to get the things...well slowly before the Hymalayan Mariah Carrey version ... Ariana Grande Ariana Grande - "All I Want For Christmas Is You" [Mariah Carey cover] (Live in L.A. 11-10-12) - YouTube

traffic jam version if you were blocked at the english border between trucks is here 'All I Want for Christmas' Carpool Karaoke - YouTube

Here is the version called MC CM MC (Mariah Carrey ChristMas Mass Cry) directly took at the output of a bad Sigma Delta dac... it distorss : All I Want For Christmas Is You (metal cover by Leo Moracchioli) - YouTube

:D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Ah !

Yes, the Rhopoint are very good resistors, softer (that is welcome with NOS DACs) and clearer than typical metal or most other wirewound resistor. The theory is saying than Bulk resistor should sound better, but the curent and heat dissipation is so low it doesn't really matter.

The famous naked Vishays can go further in transparency while not sounding better in the end than a Rhopoint... all also is what you have aftr the dac device. Subjectivly Rhopoint Ayrton Pery wirewound type is the best trade off I found.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
This is what I use in my main TDA1541 single Crown Vive the Queen DAC which has very complicated front end with multiple powersuply secondaries (R-Core traffo) and 3 regs board just for it :D + 5 power supplies line just for the DAC board :D !

The front end is Very important: 'T. Loesch, P. Rodgic, J. Homo" works on such pcm chips - despite it's true they are less sensitive to jitter than todays chips.

Give me a pair of month about that, I had no time to tweak much the board because of the Covid crisis , because some home refurbishing months and some confinement problems because I'm managing old people of my family (well someone has to do this and this is me that manage every-day those contingencies in the family for the elders to get rid of the Old Lady in Black with its Spyderco knife before the white tunnel). But I give 80% which is enough for many to care.

I have tons of I/V resistor and a pair left of 1000 ohms Rhopoint so I will test and will return about that. I also bought a Ti bulk that is not too much knon as well for the benchmark and have all the Vishays wirewound in between to test ;)

I'm a little suspiscious on the passive parts as I like to adapt to my main Loudspeaker system, so I'm a little always on the Haute couture side, a default of people in my country :rolleyes: ! ( so I have as well a tons of almost all the caps that made today and many that are not sourcable at Digiket and Mouser and so on)

I never give all m work becuse it makes nervous all the engineers with their 10 000 euros DACs and cause I have to manage nervous crisis after people that spend tons of monney on their ESS or AK DACs and that listen mine side to side :D (well many way to skin a cat, mine is on a Tiger base from Rodgic which is already sota stock, better to coock on a good basis, you can not improve what is bad from the beginning, i.e. some passive R2R dac board I will stay silent cause I'm polite thugh my ears are less !).

I'm a liitle slow because all the problem I manage around me but I come, late, but I come :D ! SO I will say if the Rhopoint worths the extra monney here... but if you have the monney already, nothing wrong to buy a pair of Rhopoint and the Naked Vishays to know : it's not monney lost !

Frankly : all is about what is in the front of the DAC : loudspeakers, pre and amp !

Edit : and also at the end, that is subjevtive and dimishing returns, the main were made by the chip designer and Miro that drawed the pcb :)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Gentlemen,
I have assembled the Miro board and was looking for something to use for a Toslink to I2S interface, found one, I'm sure it sucks, but at least I can try to get this thing going. I've attached a picture, do I need to connect to the shift registers or hook it up like the JLSounds board recommended by Miro? BTW, I have no idea what I'm doing on the digital side, you guys all speak a different language, LOL.

20201226_122420.jpg

Hi RickRay,
looks like there is standard I2S output (and different inputs), therefore install the shift registers. These shift registers are working without problems.
On the I2S output socket are pins: LR, BC, DA, G ... connect in with DAC board (LR-LRCK, BC-BCK, DA-DATA, G-GND).
Connect the +5V power supply, connect your toslink and see/hear what happens :D

I never give all m work becuse it makes nervous all the engineers with their 10 000 euros DACs and cause I have to manage nervous crisis after people that spend tons of monney on their ESS or AK DACs and that listen mine side to side :D (well many way to skin a cat, mine is on a Tiger base from Rodgic which is already sota stock, better to coock on a good basis, you can not improve what is bad from the beginning, i.e. some passive R2R dac board I will stay silent cause I'm polite thugh my ears are less !).

They will spend the money despite any shared comparison :rofl:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi RickRay,
looks like there is standard I2S output (and different inputs), therefore install the shift registers. These shift registers are working without problems.
On the I2S output socket are pins: LR, BC, DA, G ... connect in with DAC board (LR-LRCK, BC-BCK, DA-DATA, G-GND).
Connect the +5V power supply, connect your toslink and see/hear what happens :D

Pure magic!!!!! All I had for opamps was a NE5534 and a TL071 and it still sounds like AWESOME. I'm hearing stuff on recordings that I have not heard before, especially low level stuff, little notes here and there. Piano and voices are very clear and you can here the raspiness in Dave Mathews and Bruce Springsteen's voices, the harmonica sounds very nice.