DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

On the subject of the output filter cap (C37, C38), post #684 talks about changing R10/R11 and C37/C38 to enhance bass. I built my boards with a 4n7 WIMA PP cap and 100 ohm resistor, per the schematic, and removed the cap this weekend per recommendations. I was surprised to hear much reduced bass.

In retrospect there was a bit more bass than seemed balanced, but I'd actually like to enhance the very bottom of the range to act in the same fashion as KEF's Kube equalizer. Is there a formula or source of information for how to compute the effect of the RC filter on the output EQ?

I agree, the depth and detail of the bass are truly wonderful. So much so that it's a key part of what I've been listening for as I swap around opamps. As of yet, nothing has bettered the 627, although the 6171 and 4898 have proven to be quite nice for a fraction of the price. I will take your point about power supply, and after that may get sucked into a Burson purchase...

Removing the 4n7 C37/C38 was illuminating. In retrospect the bass was a little over-emphasized with the caps in place, but it also allowed the speakers that I'm using (KEF 104/2) to extend lower. KEF actually offered an outboard EQ to boost around 40-55Hz, so if I have time I'd like to play with the output filtering to duplicate that.

Until then, still pretty wonderful :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Those 3 are the oaps you have tested since?

The kef 104 Ref bass are special and not easy to test bass...55 hz f3 but subjectivly big and free...the two 16 cm are punching till 125 hz where the mid section beginns. I think the room gain is working for something correct and the f3 is not giving a lack... at the opposit I find it too much boomy : thought: ir is maybe the tweeter that is wasting thetranscient snappy behavior perhaps. I will not go for a kef Cube at the risk to enhance that boomy behavior...I will more play a little with the 50% stuffing of the two bass cabinets...the donuts are mandatory for a correct bbass if the foam is falling in dust....

I've also tried 5534 (dry/thin sounding), 4672 (lacking bottom), and 828 (not bad, not great).

There could well be room effects, my only tuning has been to use REW and a Umik to check response against pink noise - which looked OK. It did also show that the Kube worked, although it's noisy and not very precise. An interesting trick but not worth the effect, it sits on my desk.

The speakers were serviced ~4 years ago: new surrounds and donuts, Falcon matched caps in the crossover, and new ferrofluid. They stand away from the wall.

On the subject of opamp testing, if you're in the US and would like to try 5534, 6171, 4672, 828, and 4898 drop me a line and you can borrow this set by mail.

Attachments

• opamps.jpg
    opamps.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 440
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It is LT3045/3094 LDO DC-DC regulator.

From China, but you know, there is no guarantee if they are fake or real.

by the way, if possible, please kindly advise which power supply shown below may be better for AD1862-:
1. Power supply (+-4.75DCV and +- 11.8DCV) after LDO or
2. Power supply (+-5.05DCV and +-12.1DCV) after LM7812/7912 for AC to DC

Thank You

Last edited: