DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

according AD, their LT3042 appears less noisy than electrochemical sources, but that might be discussible perhaps. what is pretty obvious, that connecting a low noise reg with long unshielded wires is rather senseless. keep the distance reg-load less than 3cm if possible.
you would be surprised to see how much RF noise have picked up these wires for analog supply, routed over USB board.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi Miro,

So subjectivly no difference at listening playback... that's great, so better to go to the cheapest solution, here the JLSound - at least for ones using usb or spidf.

What was the streaming source please during your check ? laptop or Rpi, I don't remember what you use, sorry?

I asking myself as I have some choice : old fifo from IanCanada but used for my ref dac which is tda1541 based from Audial. A fifoPi -used with ad1862 discrete i/v board- with a IS2toPCM from IanCanada ?
I surmise the main difference should come from the powersupplies and local decoupling caps as often and also the Xtals... Mine are at this moment Chrystek,the NDKs being smoother as testimonied some...waiting for the more sophisticated clock from Andrea Mori's team... but which will finish certainly in the AYA tda1541 based ....

If you fast clock generating the LRCK is jitered I surmise the LRCK will be also... even if we care les than sigma-delta as you wrote in the first post :)

Only different laptops and computer is my source. I compared jlsounds with diyinhk xmos, with PCM2706/7 and Tenor TE7022L - no difference in R-2R. But there is a significant difference in many delta-sigma dacs :D .... this has been observed by many people, not only me so you can take it seriously :D
The sound in R-2R may damaged by a wrong LRCK manipulation (a direct stop-clock operation without MCLK synch, like AN-207 document).

edit: the jitter in MCLK is negligible in comparison with the LRCK (MCLK is significant for Delta-sigma)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It adds distorsion.

//

But a pleasant one imo after some tests with ears -no scope- ; for illustration Dale RN55 so many praise is a grosse katastrophe fur mich both in preamps or dacs : always ! And 150 R is small !

Also carbon and carbon comp while noisy are also good to deliver current to ground behavior, at least Pedja Rogic known for very good sounding dacs use both AB here. I prefer the Rhopoint at I/V while low wattage and wirewound is not theorically wanted as I/V, but many noticed good subjective results with I/V behavior (Thorsten Losch and diyers)... maybe due to the double wound wire material or casing damping ??? Who knows !

For an excellent low cost and very good low noise the metal 1% Yageo are great for me as well ! I have nothing against carbon in some area of power supply in a DAC... scope viewing should not waste ears listening at the end... tubes distorss and it's ok for many (not for me : too much expensive and too much hassle and too much OT dependancy imo... )

More distorssion to people is ok if pleasant at listening. :) :umbrella: :)

The AB if dried and in good condition are OK in small quantity in a design and cheap. YMMV.

We have to remember many designs are measuring ok while being terrible when playing ! Often measurment are way lower than what ears can hear and the clinical sounding of some is not really always coralated to the specs given by measurments!

At the opposit at the end of the truck doors : all the great dac devices are measuring fine... which is not always saying if all the local measurment inside are good or ok. I find interresting JosephK words elswhere about opa1612 as I/V and AK4499 dac chip and relative distorsion wanted by the designers like Gustard or else... certainly in the dac chip manufacterer application notes here I assume ! Compare it to a TotalDac spec passive parts and measurment and you can find that what matter is the final subjective result more that the said best number measured ! What a NOS almost DAC sounding better than a maxi oversampled DAC : it's impossible fro an ingeenering theory point of view ;) ... lol ! Ears can be biased by eyes and brain (even theory when called psychological rigidity).

Be confident to your ears if not too old and good health enough... recordings choices are way more important :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Only different laptops and computer is my source. I compared jlsounds with diyinhk xmos, with PCM2706/7 and Tenor TE7022L - no difference in R-2R. But there is a significant difference in many delta-sigma dacs :D .... this has been observed by many people, not only me so you can take it seriously :D
The sound in R-2R may damaged by a wrong LRCK manipulation (a direct stop-clock operation without MCLK synch, like AN-207 document).

edit: the jitter in MCLK is negligible in comparison with the LRCK (MCLK is significant for Delta-sigma)

Seriously :yikes: :D :fight: .... I don't know the last good delta sigma I listened was from Philips :D (the ESS was a disapointment)

: a big square with many leads and all integrated till the filter & upsampling : as good subjectivly than oldest pcm in my setups for their Phiips cd players with soe tweakings : not at the level of a tda1541a though or a very carrefully layouted tda1545A dip8 (good trebles btw).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
...Well as I told you it's perhaps a shortcut to culpritt the opa861 and not the layout around...devil is in the details...

But yes , basicly try some other parts and even oaps : it's a whole that you listen at the end through your speakers... trade offs always :) !

why not trying an old opa2604 for instance : you may like it, coloration can be good someone : all is about the whole system, dac chip is 10 to 20% of a dac, no more... and 1% at the end in your whole setup and 0.01% if e talk of the last chain which is the room and the subjective ears equilibrium of the owner and cultural tastes... Realy, that's why imho we are there : diy can suit our own taste around good enough technical receips (like painting, coocking, senses are not acurate and biased)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise and I will definitely try to shorten the wire later. As previously, the voltage drop-out of LDO, I can only provide 4.7~4.8V to AD1862. And I have several lifepo4 batteries on-hand, which urge me curiously to try if any sound different if battery power supply.

My friend told me the max voltage input for 74HCT164 is +7V, so I luckily got no burn anything.

hello Micro, I got the same experience that R-2R dac is not sensitive to the better clock. I got both experience on your gift and AYA II board. But could you please tell me why a fast clock to generate a slow clock resulted with low jitter??

Hello Diyiggy, I got little experience on playing with AYAII board and using Ian PCM board to 1541 with and without Fifopi, there is not much sound different, but subtle. And other friend told me that the Ian PCM board is not tailor-made for Philips Code. Hope you enjoy to compare the 1541 and 1862 sound too.. it is fun...

Attachments

• AYA1.jpg
    AYA1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 378
Clock jitter is deviation of a clock edge from its ideal location. The faster the clock, the more accurately the last edge of the slower (divided) clock will be aligned. Various techniques are used for ultra low jitter about which I have no experience. The guys like Andrea Mori, or Dohnalik know much more about it :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yes there is a slighty offset with the I2StoPCM bord from Ian and the TDA1541A... :yes: plus + length of cables you need to putt it between the clock board ad the aya, it's even less jitter prouf at the end ! My experience is I liked the aya better without it and a S1 crown (pleasant soundstage and tones) while prefered with it and a late Singapor tda1541a... trade offs ! You have to tweak IanCanada boards a little for them to sound better... few decoupling and experiment from the powersupplies ! Was said to work better on the fifoPi thanks to the use of PPS/plastic/acrylic caps advised by some tweakers before ;)... At the end all these fifo are sensible to the PS whatever it is changed from the dirt or clean side ;) - so front front end still hearable ! hey !

PS please remove that cheap styren from your AYA for LCR foilded type, remove the two FM for the +/- 5 V tda1541a side for something else like the FRs, the FC is very good at the -15V : okay ! FM are more or less ok too for the aop stage here.
Remove the two red wimas by cutting the two Wima from at the head of the TDA1541 : ones in the I/V current source going to the gnd. Don't use the clock option with the chip feeded from the bck : more acurate in the bass without imho.

And remove that darn 100uF at -15V, +/- 5V of the tda1541a and just decouple the -15V smd pin at the bottom for something between 0.1 to 0.33 uF : not ceramic please here ! And tell me :) (and trim the blue pot for that f...g DC coupling : better that any BG N or Elnas at DC blocking purpose...)

Last edited:
Hello, listen to opa861 a little more. The sound is very good, dynamic and clean but overall i feel is i miss some finess, some sofistication on the music. That high end air that some people talk... that s all. Maybe with different parts it will get there..

My friends are using in a 1704 dac the 861 as I/V, but with a simple discreet fet output, with loads of duelund.. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Dear French Cheese Friend..
You do have a morbid humour, don't You?! :D. :D

Keep on going
Ciao, George

My second wife told me "if I have to marry you, well I will poison you"
What I answered : "If I had, I will drink the poison !"

Hey !:p ... Don't you know here because of lack of monney the Camembert smelling test swapped the nose PCR test, seriously ?

Last edited: