DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

don't let that opamp discussions be your *religion*. Use any of the newer/better opamps recommended everywhere here:

-for low impedance sources (>6kOhm)
NE5532(-4)/NJM5532(-4)/NJM2068//OPA161xx/OPA162x/Ad8022

-for high impedance sources (>6kOhm)
(OP275), OPA164x, OPA1656, OPA627, AD86x0, AD8066, ADA4627-x

-for higher output current (headphone drive) - Voltage feedback
AD8397, OPA1656, OPA161x, OPA162x, newer TI Audio opamps

There are other, more specific applications - these opamps are more difficult to implement:
- extreme low source impedance (AD797/LT1028/ADA4898-x)
- high current drive (AD8397, TPA6120, AD815, ...)

This is just my personal list, but take it as a starting point.
Try reading the datasheets for the differences between each part falling into one of my classifications (e.g. OPA1642 vs. OPA1656)
There are other parts of a DAC-system that should be considered, apart from the listed opamps to increase the performance of a DAC.

Last edited:
... I will also test with Burson Audio V6 classic/vivid but fitting them along with the side caps will be tricky. Lets see how it goes. Also by the way is there any initial setup steps like using the trimmer to set the offset etc.,

take an inspiration from @Vunce, his posts: #141, #339, #525
he installed the capacitors from bottom for a wider range of opamp packages

there is no setup for dc offset, normally there is not a problem with this, these opamps have negligible dc offset

Last edited:
take an inspiration from @Vunce, his posts: #141, #339, #525
he installed the capacitors from bottom for a wider range of opamp packages

there is no setup for dc offset, normally there is not a problem with this, these opamps have negligible dc offset

Thanks Miro, yes I have gone through Vunce posts. Need to desolder the caps nearby and place them underneath but that is for another day. As I am going to try the regular NE5534 and LM6171 which are through hole 8 leg opamps for now.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
With the tegular cost nothing 5534 oap, one can also use the old NJR 4580DD...very well suitedfor headphones...neutral. needs no less than 0.1 uf decoupling...cheapand dip 8 casing but good. Though for the cost the oap 1656 should be hard to beat..as the oap861...

I am not a golden ears type, not a tweaker or opamp/tube/capacitor roller, and am cheap so I really wanted to like the 5532s I put in to smoke-test the finished DAC. They were fine, but not nearly as fine as the 627, which sounded much richer and had a deeper LF response. Dammit.

Last edited:
I would suggest to test it's 'siblings' - - ADA4627, OPA827, OPA828, too. All of them are aimed to 'better' the OPA627, and would say that they do something worthwile, indeed.
I did not try in this position, I/V, but did try thoroughly in the MyRef designs. And preferred the more modern versions.

Ciao. (all this if one can not get an OPA1656..;):D )