DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Next up - try installing the caps and inductors recommended by Traco for EMI control to see if the weird intermod-like sounds heard in specific passages go away.

Following up just to close out the lessons learned: capacitors and inductors arrived today from Mouser, I added them to the DC/DC converters per Traco's application notes and things are quiet, with no strange noises. The real lesson is to RTFM...

Thank you, again, miro and Vunce, for all of the help!

Second round of modding: Singxer F-1 power supply.

I have heard a lot about the notorious 5V inside the USB cable interfering the data lines. I want to try all LPS for F-1 for both dirty side and clean side.

I did the 5V on the clean side first. Simply removed the boxy DC-DC converter and then gave it a low noise Lt3045 reg @ 5V.
The improvement is obvious! I am pleased and listened to it for two days.

Then for the dirty side 5V input, I removed the big inductor beside the USB port to cut off the USB 5V.
Then supplied it with 5V from Lt3045 reg.
This time the improvement is enormous!
Surprised that I never thought the dirty side was important to have a nice clean power.
The bass is back! I don’t need passive bass boost anymore!
Details, details and details for bass mid and treble.
It is unbelievable.
I also replaced the SMD cap with a low esr 10,000uF cap on the clean side.

I am happy with this little modding.

Attachments

• 0CE6A7B9-97BE-4EA4-87D6-4A5FFB903898.jpg
    0CE6A7B9-97BE-4EA4-87D6-4A5FFB903898.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 461
Here is a diagram showing the Singxer F1 solution.
I updated in a relevant thread "Powering Singxer F1".

I just pulled out the Amanero384 board from my Dam1021 Dac and did the similar modding.
The outcome is again surprising good! There was a layer of "noise" before; now it is gone. I also attached a diagram indicating the modding for Amanero384.

By comparison, both are excellent USB-I2s interface boards with SQ being a bit different. I guess the clocks are different and no isolation for Amanero384.

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 495
  • AM384.jpg
    AM384.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 480
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hey, hey... :D

whatever isolation and Fifo... whatever the designers claim : the source still can be heard, I ill not focus to much on isolators, fifo... many things can be done and corrected by working on power supply and decoupling towards the ground -again whatever the fifos, isolators after :rolleyes: !

Here is a diagram showing the Singxer F1 solution.

I updated in a relevant thread "Powering Singxer F1".

I just pulled out the Amanero384 board from my Dam1021 Dac and did the similar modding.

The outcome is again surprising good! There was a layer of "noise" before; now it is gone. I also attached a diagram indicating the modding for Amanero384.

By comparison, both are excellent USB-I2s interface boards with SQ being a bit different. I guess the clocks are different and no isolation for Amanero384.
Hello Nano, many thanks for sharing :)
Have you tested both boards against jlsounds i2soverusb?