DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Got my board powered up. 12v rails by Salas Ubibs and the 5v rails by 'studer900' type psu. All powers up ok and I get 2.8mv dc on the outputs so all seems ok to my limited experience.
Next to connect in my spdif to 12s.
I'm building the same setup as you. I have 2 Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB boards (one for +12vdc and another for -12vdc). I also have a Miro1360 v1.3 DAC board, two LM6171 op amps and a Studer900 PSU for the +-5vdc needed for the two AD1862 DAC chips. I will be using 47uF caps for the +-5vdc on miro1360's DAC board. My question is what brand and size capacitors did you end up using for C7, C8, C17, C18, C27, C28, C32 and C33 on miro1360's version 1.3 AD1862 DAC board for the +-12vdc analog power? I know the BOM shows 8x100uF for these capacitors, but I read from one of Salas's post that the electrolytic capacitors for the +-12vdc rails on miro1360's DAC board should be kept very low in order for the shunt regulators to work properly. Big electrolytic caps will only deteriorate the sound of the shunt regulators. Another question is what brand and size capacitors did you use for C2 and C3 on the Salas +-12v v1.3 ultraBiB shunt regulator boards? One last question, are there any other changes that you made to any of the components on the boards that made significant improvements to the quality of the audio sound. I see in your posts that you changed the NOVER gold capacitors on the +-5vdc Studer PSU. I know you have probably been trying many changes to your setup over the years to make it the best it can be. I need a good starting point so that I can try some changes in the future as well.

Thanks,

dkalendra

Alright guys i need a hand here ...
i intend to start with PCM1702P chip that i can find .. since AD1862 is more difficult for me to source .
i aim at a pleasant clean and natural non-fatigue redbook oldschool sound .. i am fed up with the modern dac's artificial lifeless sound .
Am i in the right direction ?
Any opinions would be much appreciated ..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Allright guys i need a hand here ...
i intend to start with pcm1702p chip that i can find .. since AD1862 is more difficult for me to source .
i aim at a pleasant clean and natural non-fatigue redbook oldschool sound .. i am fed up with the modern dac's artificial lifeless sound .
Am i in the right direction ?
Any opinions would be much appreciated ..
Well, maybe you are, but you’re going to have to provide us more details about the DAC which you plan to build.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
There is a guy in US (not Paddy Garcia) iirc that sell Rochester sourced AD1862 in the swap mt and in this thread lately. If people took the time to read the thread and not take the running train in order to know if their baskett are good enough to run while asking for a hand !

Well, maybe you are, but you’re going to have to provide us more details about the DAC which you plan to build.
It was some years ago when i built an Aikido preamp and a Nelson Pass F4 with help from the forum .. i was always lacking a standalone DAC so i decided that my audio chain suffers and among all other DIY projects i stumbled on this thread that i find more interesting .. i just want to build a decent NOS R2R DAC .. that's all .

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
we should not have read the same thread lately. Maybe look at the swap met as well, there is a guy as far I remember that adverted here an the swap met he had to buy the moq from Rochester and has some (hopefully) avialable ad1862 chips. Not Paddy, though. Avoid buying chineese vendors, it is a little dices based, a pair I bought had a one of the chip with a broken leg till inside the casing , no way to fix it !

we should not have read the same thread lately. Maybe look at the swap met as well, there is a guy as far I remember that adverted here an the swap met he had to buy the moq from Rochester and has some (hopefully) avialable ad1862 chips. Not Paddy, though. Avoid buying chineese vendors, it is a little dices based, a pair I bought had a one of the chip with a broken leg till inside the casing , no way to fix it !
Yes i know who you talk about .. i sent him pm but he wouldn't ship to Greece where i live ..yes i avoid Chinese vendors.. i have found original PCM1702P in Europe that's why i want to try with this chip ... anyway thanks for your input ..