DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Agreed, PCM63 is very, very good. It’s like splitting hairs for me - they’re all very good. I’d be happy with 1862, PCM63, or tda1541a as my only Dac. That said, I’ve been listening to the tda1541a more lately. Of course, that could be because it’s the newest of the three :)

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, PCM63 is very, very good. It’s like splitting hairs for me - they’re all very good. I’d be happy with 1862, PCM63, or tda1541a as my only Dac. That said, I’ve been listening to the tda1541a more lately. Of course, that could be because it’s the newest of the three :)
I do not have pcm63, but I have Miro''s AD1862 and Tda1541. I cannot resist the TDA1541 midrange magic. Argghh ... I have been resisting the PCM63...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just kidding. As for me, I'm slowly building a universal power supply (+-5V digital part, +-5V analog part, +-12V analog part) and two DAC PCBs, one with an AD1865 and one with a PCM63 so I'll try both with that power supply. I have JLS I2S over USB board and AK4113 receiver board (SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S inputs, I2S output) and power supply for all that already done and tested. I'm also planning a slightly different I/V stage to add externally to try. I collected almost all the parts, just to find the time.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have had a Miro AD1862 for quite a while now and really enjoy it. I need to try some different PSU and digital front end options. But in the meantime I won an old Philips CD Player with 1541A inside. Assuming I can desolder the thing successfully I will like to build. Miro DAC with it!

Today I played with TDA1540 setup, but mine input logic on this schematic is not "perfect" because I still hear a few very silent digital glitches in the background (the full stop-clock is not included here). If this worked, the number of chips would be only 7 pcs, which is nice. If I include the full stop-clock with CPLD, glitches are gone. I will probably not continue with the improvement of this schematic, and TDA1540 will most likely end up with the cheapest CPLD board and programmer you can buy from aliexpress, together maybe 10€ :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• I2S_to_TDA1540_still-not-enough.jpg
    I2S_to_TDA1540_still-not-enough.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 121
Today I played with TDA1540 setup, but mine input logic on this schematic is not "perfect" because I still hear a few very silent digital glitches in the background (the full stop-clock is not included here). If this worked, the number of chips would be only 7 pcs, which is nice. If I include the full stop-clock with CPLD, glitches are gone. I will probably not continue with the improvement of this schematic, and TDA1540 will most likely end up with the cheapest CPLD board and programmer you can buy from aliexpress, together maybe 10€ :ROFLMAO:
ok, i can have a breather and take a break........ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Guys, two days ago I finally turn on the I/V stage with AD811 in my DAC with six PCM1702.
There is no buffer in the output because the AD811 can give 100mA at its output, which means directly to the amplifier without any capacitors.
The regulator is an improved version of Walt Jung's shunt, the voltage on output is +/-10V just enough that the AD811 does not need heat sinks.
The sound is excellent and it seems to me that it is still better than the tubes, so it remains in my DAC for now. There is no need to compare it with classic op-amps, although I will try them too;)
When the New Year's madness is over, I will open a separate topic about the AD811 I/V stage.

And Happy New Year 🎆

Attachments

• ad811-1.jpg
    ad811-1.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 161
  • AD811-7.jpg
    AD811-7.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 154
  • AD811-5.jpg
    AD811-5.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: 3 users
It has orange skin surface, so that is a good sign it is original :) Fakes are most of the time smoothed out to remove previous writings and imprint new. You can also measure it's feedback resistor, but i don't see the value in datasheet so someone that has that chip here, can tell you.