D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
MODERATORS:
Can't we please keep this thread focused on the ORIGINAL subject? That is, a noise canceller for LM317/337 regulators. If people want to discuss the 1431 and other regulator mods, please start another thread and stop polluting this one!

I am absolutely against hijacking and polluting any thread with posts that are not on topic.

I think you get it wrong. This thread is not only about LM317/337 + denoiser. Elvee posted various designs with LT regulators as well. I believe this thread is about denoiser, used with any voltage regulator as enhancing ingredient. If you didn’t notice, all discussed designs contain denoiser circuit.
So, I think it would be improper to discuss them outside this thread. Complete designs, as Mark’s VRDN should have separate threads.

dotneck335 is asking for a moderator, and I think it's necessary.

Of course I know what other options Elvee used, but things got very out of the original tasks, IMHO.

I don't think I'm being selfish: just want to stay on the original purpose, which on the title specifically mentioned the LM317.

And I haven't seen any simulations improving on what the original denoiser and dienoiser did.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This might be a good time to remind members about a Forum software feature called Ignore List. Here is how you access it from the User Control Panel -- that's a link marked "User CP" at the center top of this page and every Forum page.

_

Attachments

• screen_grab.png
    screen_grab.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 323
This might be a good time to remind members about a Forum software feature called Ignore List. Here is how you access it from the User Control Panel -- that's a link marked "User CP" at the center top of this page and every Forum page.

_

+1
Just ignore carlmart and dotneck335
Everything about Dnoiser with lm317/337 is already contained in more than hundred of page of this thread, many question is asked and answer over and over again. Even Elvee is supportive at develope dnoiser circuit with other regulator, i think what tombo56 is experiment is very helpful.

I have read previous messages, and repeat my question.

No goals were achieved that seemed important to me.

Also agree with moderators: go elsewhere discuss 1431 or TL431 applications. Can't see the advantages of them.

This guy doesn't see benefit of a circuit (for him) so he just turn other people down :confused:

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
The only thing I say is that what you are doing or trying seems not to show any improvements in simulations or measurements. That's the benefit I do not see.

I could understand that if you haven’t read previous posts at all.

This design brings improvement in PSRR, operating voltage range, load range, dropout voltage and denoiser circuit efficiency, according to the simulation results.

• PSRR is 175 dB. Probably you have the same with LM317 + denoiser?
  • Operating voltage range is 10 to 60V or even to 100V
  • It operates at dropout voltage from 0,25 V or less, and works at full PSRR @ 0,5 V
  • It can supply at least 5 A
  • Single Bjt denoiser circuit here brings >50 dB of improvement, compared to usual 30 dB
  • Even without denoiser, this design provides 110 dB PSRR
Do you spot any difference to the LM 317 with denoiser?

I think you get it wrong. This thread is not only about LM317/337 + denoiser.
You, obviously, got it wrong. Look at the thread title.

As someone who actually built this thing, the Denoizer, this thread is a nightmare. Hundreds of pages of disjointed information; multiple variants with similar names, again spread over hundreds of pages posted by a hundred different people.

Has anyone else actually built the Denoizer? Mine doesn't work too well. I posted about it like a week ago, in the middle of a hundred posts about zeners.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
hi tombo56, have you tried simulate the startup behaviour of this circuit?

Not till now, as it was taking eternity. With some value changes it is working fast. It helps to add some internal resistance to the voltage source. C1 was too big and was shorting voltage divider, consequently preventing proper startup. It is a “relict” and can be as small as 1 uF. With values from 1 to 3,3 uF we can even adjust how soft is startup. PSSR in low frequency range is still good.
Anyway, I’m filling Mouser cart with parts for prototype.

Attachments

• Nice_Startup.PNG
    Nice_Startup.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 369
  • Small_C_PSRR.PNG
    Small_C_PSRR.PNG
    69.3 KB · Views: 371
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Minimal input voltage is 10V as that is min. opamp supply voltage, but min. output is < 5V. If LTSpice is to be believed, it works almost equally good at 5V as at 25V or 50V. I like fact that, even without denoiser circuit, it delivers very good PSRR, output impedance and transient response.

Attachments

• Denoised.PNG
    Denoised.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Bare_reg.PNG
    Bare_reg.PNG
    63.1 KB · Views: 290