D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'm from Europe so I'm tied to Farnell or TME and neither have the lt3042/5 in stock.

No, you are not tied to that limited list. Mouser delivers to Romania and they take all care about customs procedure. Goods are delivered to your address in 5 days from order at displayed price + VAT and that’s all. You have to order 50 € value to get free shipping and that is unbeatable option.

https://ro.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/LT3045IMSE-1PBF?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xDoPDdVL4PHw==

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I already have a bunch of lm3x7/78xx and BJTs

The DIYers syndrome: to use what one has available. A transformer that is 10V too high in voltage, never mind we drop it with resistors. The need for an excellent regulator for a DAC, nah we use LM317 that we have in a box.

That is all fine but it never leads to optimal performance. It took me some time to stop with keeping stock of "standard parts" and now I order exactly what I need. It seems more expensive but those parts that lay around for years were not free either.

The DIYers syndrome: to use what one has available.

I think this might be related to the fact that we are speaking on this website. People tend to do that around here.

The need for an excellent regulator for a DAC, nah we use LM317 that we have in a box.

If the result measures as good as your proposed alternative, why would it matter? Feelings are subjective, you can't measure them. Apparently they do contribute to the perceived sound tho.

tombo56 I'll check on Mouser. Haven't looked at it in some time

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You just know that this is not true. It is a habit that is hard to get rid of (like hoarding). You would not accept it when your car mechanic did the same by fitting whatever he has left from various brands. "Ah that Opel air filter might fit in that Renault of Trileru if I use a hammer"....

It does not measure as good as newer regs, a well known fact. It is burning precious time and will not lead to success in most cases. It also leads to keep using older parts that do not perform as excellent as more recent parts.

Even these may be fit for the goal. I replace the filter cap as I don't trust them (Nover...). For your purpose you can remove the pass transistor and bridge it according datasheet and then it is a LT3042 PSU capable of supplying 200 mA.

Low Noise LT3042 Linear Regulator Power Supply Module For Amanero XMOS DAC Power | eBay

Last edited:
Have no experience with that DAC. But according to datasheet AVDD in this case should be separate from DVDD. If it works similar to AK4490 then the VREF supplies are critical. So you could use LT3042 on VREF and e.g. NCP703 on other supply pins.

I was thinking of using this circuit for Vref:
19746d1073832412-capcitor-type-vref-dac-vref-gen-jpg

Seems to measure very good and Vref total draw is around 1mA, should be no problem. I can take the voltage from +5V reg, the filter cleans it up, and I can put the sense line directly on the Vref pin.

I found the circuit here: Capcitor type for Vref

You just know that this is not true. It is a habit that is hard to get rid of. You would not accept it when your car mechanic did the same by fitting whatever he has left from various brands. "Ah that Opel air filter might fit in that Renault of Trileru if I use a hammer"....

That is not an accurate analogy. I'm not fixing other people's gear by botching some sketchy solution to their problems. I'm trying to build a DAC for myself.

Thing is, they'll pile up. I need +-15V for opamps, +-5V for pga2311 volume control, +5VDC and +3.3VDC for the digital side of things.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Of course they pile up if you keep using mediocre parts you will have to keep building newer stuff again and again :D The shortest way to go from A to B is a straight line in general. Aim for the highest, choose the best available at that moment that you can afford and design your DAC accordingly.

PGA2311?!.. boy oh boy......

The DIYINHK dual boards with 3.3 and 5V are also quite good with 0.8 µV noise. I will be posting a few in Swap Meet as I have built a few too many.

Last edited:
The idea is to take into account what you are building. This is not a es9038pro.

I think one has to make the distinction between people that want to get stuff that works, so they get something better for relatively cheaper (than a commercial counterpart) and don't want to fuss about with things and oscilloscopes, and people that are doing it for fun, are willing to tinker and try nonorthodox things like the denoiser. I've seen people here tend to mix the two categories pretty often around here.

Yes, why this instead of the built-in digital attenautor of AK4458?

Wouldn't later attenuation drop the noise of the DAC output? I usually listen to low levels and it makes sense to have the DAC at full swing and take care of the amplitude later in the chain.

"The heart of the PGA2311 is a resistor network, an analog switch array, and a high-performance operational amplifier stage. The switches select taps in the resistor network that determine the gain of the amplifier stage"

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The idea is to take into account what you are building. This is not a es9038pro.

I think one has to make the distinction between people that want to get stuff that works, so they get something better for relatively cheaper (than a commercial counterpart) and don't want to fuss about with things and oscilloscopes, and people that are doing it for fun, are willing to tinker and try nonorthodox things like the denoiser. I've seen people here tend to mix the two categories pretty often around here.

This is an outdated view on matters as DIY is more expensive than ready built Chinese stuff that “works”. Chinese built stuff that also may be better performing than throwing a bunch of old parts together.

So if DIYing is more expensive anyway it maybe is a good idea to make it better performing than commercial gear. This of course helped by oscilloscopes and measuring also for fun. Otherwise it is kind of keeping oneself busy.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
and now I order exactly what I need.
In an impulsive move two days ago I ordered two Lt3045 boards and two TPS7A4701 boards. Do I really need them? No, it's only bad ifluence from reading diyaudio.com posts. ;)

A transformer that is 10V too high in voltage, never mind we drop it with resistors.
Extra Volts available? A fine oportunity to add some CRCRCRC past the bridge and then a preregulator.

The DIYers syndrome: to use what one has available. The need for an excellent regulator for a DAC, nah we use LM317 that we have in a box.
Sumptoms persist for 45 years. I consider it incurable

It is burning precious time
In my case this is therapeutic (part of the treatment) :)

George

Attachments

• final PSUs schematic.JPG
    final PSUs schematic.JPG
    607.5 KB · Views: 319
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It IS therapeutic :) For me also to make every device better than the previous and besides excellent performance it should be good looking with good ergonomics. Minimalist and performance instead of features. Gaining experience and improving skills in metalwork etc.

Last edited:
There's people here that have been trained to play LEGO with expensive modules, and I don't really care about that. You can have at it. But then there's projects that start eating into the nice expensive low noise power supply modules that have larger margins than a lm317+bc337 would have.
So then, what are you doing here trying to downplay this project? Most of your responses are downplaying this project and I don't understand what's in it for you?

Also, please expand on "It does not measure as good as newer regs, a well known fact." What do you mean by it? We know it takes a bit to stabilize and for what I need there's no problem. It does overshoot a bit but it's within the intended margins so again, no issue. I judge the circuit in the intended application. Of course its bad if used for anything else that requires what it cannot deliver.

Are you specifically saying that the nonoiser(edit) is not measuring on par with lt3042 for output noise, psrr and output impedance specifically which is what is needed in my application?

So far, this describes best the failures with this design:
iv60LuP.png

Last edited:
So then, what are you doing here trying to downplay this project? Most of your responses are downplaying this project and I don't understand what's in it for you?

Also, please expand on "It does not measure as good as newer regs, a well known fact." What do you mean by it?

In my opinion Elvee's original idea is great. I have simulated, built and tested several versions of the LM317/337 denoisers as originally intended: add-ons to existing LM317/337 power supplies. However I have not really understood the craving to use these to build new LM317/337-based power supplies as better alternatives exist.

I have also found out that denoisers are prone to oscillate depending on e.g. output capacitance and ESR. Due to this building & using these denoisers without proper measuring equipment does not guarantee expected results.

I think it depends on the intended use and part accessibility. If one needs to make an order to Mouser just for the regs, and has to sink 50 euro minimum on the order, the LM317s laying around seem appealing for a one off job. But when you start spending 50 bucks on a single low noise module and you need about 6 or 7 of them for an application where they'd be way overkill, it kinda really doesn't make sense.

I do understand there's a market and the money flow keeps developing the hobby and gets new and better stuff to market. But I have a problem when that collides with nice projects that threaten some area of that market. Then the project tends to get put down, or does not get all the buzzwords attached to it.

Notice the general silence around the buzzwords? Why do you think that is? These trends are set by people with financial interest in projects. If there's money to be made, the whole buzzwords came out of the bag, and get attached to certain projects. Then the crowd follows "ah yes, I think I can hear the improvement guys! yes it's way better!"

We had someone here who didn't like that it performs so good. All of a sudden people realize they actually want effect boxes not reality.

I have also found out that denoisers are prone to oscillate depending on e.g. output capacitance and ESR. Due to this building & using these denoisers without proper measuring equipment does not guarantee expected results.

It has been stated many times, and I also knew this 6 years ago when I built my first lm317/338 power supply. The output cap needs to not be low ESR type. This is typical to lm317 not to Elvee's circuit. Any normal lm317 circuit requires a normal (higher by today's standards) esr output cap.