Cyrus 1 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ritchie,
I have just opened a new thread for this.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=96323

I did try MSPaint but as soon as I pasted it, the diagram was all blocky with no detail.
I have previously used MSpaint to try to generate ".png" but my version does not allow it.
Is my software faulty? The "blocky" part and the "no .png" part?

Answer in the new thread please.

AndrewT said:
Hi Geoff,
if you could see the SOAR I posted you would see why one cannot take a pair of 3519 to ClassA. Two pair, well maybe, but not on +-35Vdc rails.

I still hope someone can tell me how to compress my Excel diagram to within the 100k limit.

Andrew, my comment wasn't intended as a serious suggestion in this particular case. However, with lower supply rails, larger heatsinks and more rugged output transitors it is an option (the JLH would probably still sound better though!).

jmateus said:
It is also unfair that I didn't thank Line up for his "little push" on Geoff
for the layout design. Thanks...

no problems, jmateus
I have long since, stopped expecting anything
for any info / knowledge / design / schematic I post in our forum.
Actually, I do not post to get any due credits.

I do it out my own interest in audio matters.

It is always such a nice surprise, when somebody sometimes
show a little appreciation.
This is just a bonus. A very pleasant little bonus.

It can happen once every 2nd month.
This is every 300-400 post by me, I think :D

I said earlier, that you might get followers, using the Geoff PCB.
I think I will be more than right .... in time

:)

Regards to New Jersey
from lineup ... in another place ... far from in body ... but much closer to NJ in his mind.

Hi,
Jmateus' Cyrus clone using 1pr 2sc3519 SOAR attached (finally using Irfanview).

It works, is legible, extremely small file size.
I can recommend Irfanview+plugins to everyone using Win98 and Office97

BTW,
the graph is the output from Bensen's spreadsheet with a few mods.

Attachments

• cyrusonesoar.png
    cyrusonesoar.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 673
Hello guys

I appreciated all the posts regarding the biasing of this Cyrus amplifier.
I also appreciated the graph Andrew T published. So much information
I have to munch. Good information for a guy like me who doesn't know much about these peculiarities. Anyway it's good to have fellow diyers
who teach us one or two things once in a while.

Now I have to tell you what I found out.
First I installed R83 on the board to begin with as 560 ohms and that's
probably why I couldn't adjust the bias on the high side because as
soon as I replaced the resistor by the original value (680) everything
came into place, I have now a good range from zero to 150 mV.
So it seems that I shouldn't have installed the lower value resistor to
begin with. Now everything is fine and I have the amplifier working
as it should.

The sound is the same,...gorgeous, and I am very happy with it.
Thanks guys for your precious assistance.
Long live Cyrus!

BTW I also use Irfanview as my main player!

Put this one in a comparison with mine and publish John

I will be happy to know....if i loose, i will be happy to see the distance this unit has related mine.

Win or loose is not so important...the good thing is that we always learn something new, with nice and good amplifiers constructrd by audiophiles, showing their good qualities to the ones that knows how to compare, how to evaluate.

Yes i know...the circuit is very modern, looks superior to the one i did, but this makes me more curious, as i had some blamefest in the past that made me think about those superiorities.

The circuit is fine....very good...... like you said.... a real good amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Yes, Lineup, those are the values for R71 and R65, those are the values installed.
It works really well directly from a CD player, actually as the outputs
come from the headphone spiget, I have to be careful with the level,
as always. The preliminary tests were made this way but later on I
should connect the amplifier to my system. My preamplifier being a tube
type (Cursio, Daniel) it puts out around 5 volts and this more than enough for the Cyrus. I don't see any discrepancy.

Another thing I noticied is the high gain of this amplifier, with 42 v
suply the output peak voltage is almost 25 volts, what gives a peak
power of close to 75 W in 8 ohms before clipping. The clipping is now very symetric... However it drives another pair of 4 ohms speakers
with no effort whatsoever.

This bias business drove me a little insane before because of R83 I had
already installed as 560 ohms without even thinking about it. But
now is OK, after replacing that for 680 I was able to set the bias to
around 75 mA, which means 16.5 mV across R107 A and R107B.

Paifect, as we say here in NJ!
I believe I would'nt have been succeful if it wasn't for the help of you guys. Thanks!

Re: Cyrus 1 and 2

seroxatmad said:
Any ideas?

My personal experience:

The Cyrus one is very fast and shines with complex material. Lacks a little bass in comparison to the Cyrus Two. Very transparent.

The Cyrus Two is a very competent perfomer. Bass is authoratitive with excellent transient response. The upper mid/treble has difficulty with fast/ complex material.

Cyrus Two with PSX: A little extra bass punch, especially at higher levels. Also has the same difficulty with the fast stuff at mid/treble frequencies.

As a temporary compromise: I am running the C2 + PSX on the bass/mid and the Cyrus One handles the tweeters. Sounds better than the C2 alone.

My next move: Cyrus one will run my floorstanding speakers. I am building two subs in sealed enclosures to be powered by Cyrus 2 + PSX.

My second move: Buy a second Cyrus One and either convert both to monoblocks or biamp each cabinet.

I have tried bypassing and snubbers etc. to bring the upper frequency performance of the Cyrus Two to the same standard as the One but have so far failed :(

Then again, I lack the experience and tools of many people here.

One thing I haven't worked out yet though: How would the Cyrus One sound with more capacitance and/or a larger transformer. I haven't tried this yet because, to be honest, I would cry if I lost the top end agility of the Cyrus One. I am worried that I would get better bass response but It might end up sounding like a Cyrus Two.

I'm very happy with my present plans.
Regards,
Martin:)

EDIT: I would love a Cyrus One to be my first DIY amp but I can't make my own boards. Is anyone interested in organising a run of these boards as a group buy?

Hi Sonus,
I look forward to your further experiments and reporting of the results.
I still wonder if the single output pair or the small PSU account for the "nice" sound that comes out of the One.
I have only heard the Two, the Two+Psx, the 8 and 8+PSXr.
The 8+PSXr gives me nearer what I want.

Ello all

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/cyrus1pwr.gif

By what geoff and others say the C1 and C2 main circuit is the same other than a higher trans voltage / extra output transistors and a dedicated MC stage.

I now relise why the 3 people I know listened to both bought the cheaper C1.

Regards

John

P.S I was considering a C6 but am not sure if it will be a 600 quid improvement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Newer Cyrus amplifiers have more advanced audio circuitry. They are also surface mount these days. Whether you like the sound or not is another question. There should be enough around for you to listen to. You may prefer the input switching with mechanical switches to the electronic switch IC's that the newer integrated ones use. The newer ones are relay switching (don't know about the integrated, but the high end pre is).

I am waiting for a pair of new Mono X's to arrive. A complete departure from earlier designs and very advanced (I think). We shall see.

-Chris

cyrus amp- slightly left of center question

Hi all, Hope i am not going off track here, but you seem knowlagable dudes.

I have a cyrus 3, blown up (PSU/transformer i think)
However i want to usu the phono stage (as i think its rather good) and one can direct me to a circuit diagram of said item as i cant find one any on the net:confused:

Thanks, sorry for the slight "hi jack" of the thread--but i am desprate!

Johnny555

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.