Current Feedback Amplifiers, not only a semantic problem?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Question to Guru Wurcer. In his paper linked to earlier, Ramus says this:

"Comparing Voltage and Current Feedback Op Amps: Two parts on the same process, at the same quiescent power, will have pretty similar open loop gain curves for VFB and CFB devices – Compare the OPA690 (VFB) and the OPA691 (CFB) below"

Why would he say that? Does a given process and power budget ultimately limit the attainable bandwidth/gain from a device?

Jan

More bad info.

anyway ---
What specs are important to audio? Do we really care about many of the DC precision/specs that much? The VFA excels more easily in some areas.... but those areas have no benefit to audio.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
So we don't distinguish by name between these two?

For one thing lots missing on the second one like the current in Q7 and Q8 is undefined as shown, the complete circuit is much more complicated. That said to the customer the basic functionality with respect to what the feedback network does is the same.

The second circuit probably has far superior distortion performance at higher frequencies due to the added gain stage, but probably does not drive as much Cload. The R/C circuit in the first schematic transfers the load to the gain node at high frequencies and can be a distortion maker. There are designers that think all op-amps should drive 1000pF hanging directly on the output.

For one thing lots missing on the second one like the current in Q7 and Q8 is undefined as shown, the complete circuit is much more complicated. That said to the customer the basic functionality with respect to what the feedback network does is the same.

The second circuit probably has far superior distortion performance at higher frequencies due to the added gain stage, but probably does not drive as much Cload. The R/C circuit in the first schematic transfers the load to the gain node at high frequencies and can be a distortion maker. There are designers that think all op-amps should drive 1000pF hanging directly on the output.

Agreed. But we give the same names to each?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think some of the objection to "cfa" is that the name doesn't fit the existing formal classification schemes - as a Voltage output device it is the Voltage Output that is sampled by the feedback

a more abstract, formal op amp classification: http://web.archive.org/web/20070128220917/http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~hps/publications/2000cas.pdf

but I don't think there is any real dissagreement on how the circuit works

but a lot about whether it is advantageous in audio poewer amplifiers

Current output and current feedback are two different things in my mind

as is

Voltage output and voltage feedback

mix 'n match as required:-

Current output amplifier using voltage feedback

Voltage output amplifier using current feedback

This whole semantic thing is being put up like a windmill so the Don Quixotes' can have a run at something.

What's the point? How's that old saying go 'if it smells like a skunk, it probably is a skunk'

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Please humor me Scott, I am intrigued:

"A very large customer asked me to convert one of our CFA DSL drivers to VFA and with the same internal degeneration as Rf and tweak of the compensation"

You mean some customers spec their requirements to that tech detail? Or do I miss something?

Jan

I have been to many large customers where I got a lecture in solid state physics and the customer wanted x and y. I always had a PhD in tow. They could explain to the customer what was and was not possible. Most of the customer product designers never understood the workings in a fab and why we would not do certain things. But they were often pretty good at digging into the product spec detail and were ok on the device theory side.

I thinking specifically of customers in Germany and in the USA - Auto, telecoms and computing - all power stuff.

If it made business sense, I would go and get the funding for it. If it didn't work out business wise, I got hammered for it. :D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
Hello Jan,

This article shows pretty well that as two oil stains the so called VFA and CFA worlds are flowing into each other.
VFA’s designs are more and more making use of CFA know how and vice versa.
At the end we have just all kind of Fantastic Feedback Amps (FFA) and the whole semantic issue will be a thing of the past. :D

Hans