Crossover frequency and filter order advice sought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you System7 for the tables. I note 4 component alterations and I’m almost certain that I have 2 of them in my loft (somewhere). Examined the response chart and with my limited experience I believe it looks ok. So now to sourcing the parts. Very frustrating not to get inductors off the shelf in the UK. Have bought from Soundimports NL off the shelf but currently due to brexit paperwork issues with DPD I think I’ll be avoiding them. US looks favourite. Everything here makes sense to me. Onwards and upwards.
I understand the time that has been spent (by several people) to help me, while unlike me are probably working a day job and also have the time demands of family. Sharing you experience with others on this forum is truly wonderful.
Old man of Troon.

Can't imagine any problems sourcing parts in the UK. Blue Aran, Impact Audio, Falcon Acoustics have them. Wilmslow Audio are occasionally slow on delivery IME.

You can also unwind coils for smaller values. Broadly speaking, inductance is the square of the number of turns, so to reduce a coil of 2mH to 1mH you take root 2, which is 1.414. Thus take off about a third of the turns and scrape the enamel off the end wire with a stanley knife. Not hard. Do it myself. I prefer to measure inductance, but that is because I have a good multimeter capable of this.

456915d1420233771-inductive-interactions-among-crossover-components-coil-interaction-1mh-0.2mh-3.3uf.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t know of Blue Aran. Probably because it didn’t come out high on google search results. Wilmslow and Falcon were where my previous builds now spanning 26 years were sourced but Falcon said they were made to order and they had commercial orders to deal with first and mine would take 10-15 days. Also had problems with them purchasing the tweeters when they showed stock but didn’t have and didn’t inform me until I contacted them after a week so I’m done with them I’m afraid. Anyway I possess a few good multimeters and since the 2mH inductors will be redundant I think I’ll give it a go. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it. Being an engineer it should have been obvious.

Be sure to buy 3 of any component so that you can select the two with the best match. Or buy 4.

When you think about it, the fuss people go to about all kinds of audio design issues and then just solder-in two capacitors that might be 10% or worse different from each other or from the design value and twice that error between left and right.

Not easy to get accurate measurements. I'd say wiring up the XO and measuring FR at the driver terminals and then trying another component might give best results. You'll never know if the selected components are the design value, but you'll know that L and R speakers are matched.

If anybody takes this suggestion, please post the REW traces for all the trials (OK to use an overlay format).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.