• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Why?

Clocks have sockets!!!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the connectors on the Amanero and the Hermes. I'm not 100% sure that it's all connected properly. I'm not keen on these stacking connectors, as they're not very flexible in terms of mounting options and I find it difficult to make sure the right pins on one board are going to the correct ones on the other. They're also really difficult to desolder if you need to move them!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Duffy please post pics. Your combo isn't stacked Amanero-Hermes-Chronus?

Wgj9L5zGEWc85Dv2H--W8qZE2LZa7MbUGc3fS32FQZ0a45nNyuvblXGuag8z7gviNohTnOXS8HZ1pSRUIXh-VMC5NrscknMYC5ju1cm9wthd_jNa895W2DJrZS7bsxmOQN_e6Hu-

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The pool of helpers with Amanero experience seems smaller than for the BBB (and does not include me)...

True, a 15 MHz scope won’t help diagnose problems at ~25 MHz. But I question the clock diagnosis based simply on the fact that your Cronus has worked in the past. Have you removed the XO 3.3v trident? Does the system play with the XO trident in place? Have you ‘audited’ the DAC configuration switch settings? Does a SPDIF input to the DAC play?

I can’t help with Amanero firmware...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not keen on these stacking connectors, as they're not very flexible in terms of mounting options and I find it difficult to make sure the right pins on one board are going to the correct ones on the other. They're also really difficult to desolder if you need to move them!

Remember that wires through the air resemble antennas that can receive interference in the surroundings, whereas board traces with ground plane protection are more isolated. (It’s rather an art to modularize and interconnect circuit boards while maintaining optimal performance.) ...not that this explains your immediate difficulties...

OK, so after taking the connector off the Cronus (without lifting the pads!), remounting everything, checking all voltages and re-flashing Amanero firmware, I seem to finally have a lock on both DAC boards!

I can't test to see if I actually have music at the moment though, as my active speakers (Linkwitz Pluto 2) currently have SE input and I've misplaced my balanced headphone cables, but hopefully it'll be OK. Next step - to see if my replacement Volumite actually controls the volume...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone. Also thanks to Domenico of Amanero fame, who has given me great support.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Could you connect directly the phones to Chronus output D1 & gnd (one channel) output D2 & gnd (the other channel). Amanero has to be configured as slave and MCLK input Amanero connected to MCK out of Chronus.

If music the problem is the BII configuration I read somewhere that's necessary to take off regs or the clocks I'm not sure.

Attachments

• cronus_output_large.png
    cronus_output_large.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited: