• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Ahh...

The 22,xxx clock wasn't well soldered.

The little NDKs are a bit challenging. I like to use a strong magnifier, and one has to be very careful not to overheat it if one is hand soldering them. I like to do one pad at a time, letting the clock cool down between soldering each pad, and use a little (but just a very little, or else solder goes everywhere) flux.

Apologies for posting the same question in two forums, but nobody seems to read the Amanero thread any more.

I have an Amerero connected to Hermes/Cronus, but my Buffalo II won't lock. The LEDs dim when music is played, so something must be happening. Domenico has tried to help me, but on my Amenero board, Pin 6 (MCLK) is only reading 0.8V, which he says is too low. What do other people measure? I don't know why mine is low, what this means or what might be malfunctioning.

I'd be very grateful for any help, as I haven't been able to enjoy my Buffalo I for several years now. I have no other DAC and would like to hear it at some time before my time is up!

Apologies for posting the same question in two forums, but nobody seems to read the Amanero thread any more.

I have an Amerero connected to Hermes/Cronus, but my Buffalo II won't lock. The LEDs dim when music is played, so something must be happening. Domenico has tried to help me, but on my Amenero board, Pin 6 (MCLK) is only reading 0.8V, which he says is too low. What do other people measure? I don't know why mine is low, what this means or what might be malfunctioning.

Several others (including myself) had issues with bad solder joints on the Cronus potato flipflop causing MCLK issues. Resoldering the bad joints fixed the issue.

Check the solder joints with a magnifier. Use lots of flux and a tiny dab of solder on the iron to retouch if they don't look the best

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that, but it would be strange if that were the cause, since my Cronus certainly used to work when I had the BBB-Hermes connected. That's why I thought the fault must lie with the Amenero or the new Hermes board.

I have ordered probes for the ancient oscilloscope I was given years ago. Now might be the time to learn how to use it!

OK, I have reflowed the joints on the potatto flipflop, but still only 0.8V on the Amanero MCLK output.

Domenico suggested I verify the presence of MCLK, but I don't know if I am able to do that, as my oscilloscope is a 15MHz model. If I'm wrong, please tell me how I can do that.

I'm on the verge of selling everythng and just buying a commercial DAC, because I just want to listen to some music and my DAC just refuses to work!

set up...

OK, I have reflowed the joints on the potatto flipflop, but still only 0.8V on the Amanero MCLK output.

Domenico suggested I verify the presence of MCLK, but I don't know if I am able to do that, as my oscilloscope is a 15MHz model. If I'm wrong, please tell me how I can do that.

I'm on the verge of selling everythng and just buying a commercial DAC, because I just want to listen to some music and my DAC just refuses to work!

How is the Cronus set up?

1. What frequency clocks are mounted?

2. What is the clock divider set to?

3. what firmware is the Amanero running?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think the Amanero is on CPLD_for_1080
and fimware_1096c3w2

Dom info:

"Slave_1081_DSDSWAPPED e firmware_2006be11
PIN6 MCLK input
per selezionare il CLOCK devi cambiare il PID_071A in PID_0a23 e abilitare il selettore PIN 1 o PIN 11

PIN6 MCLK diventa automaticamente quando usi per CPLD SLAVE_1081
mentre in "Bit Configuration" trovi come selezionare il selettore del clock.

devi aggiornare _071A con _0a23 in alto nel ConfigTool.exe in questo modo scrive nella flash la configurazione dei bit.
"