• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Some additional information - I know when I connect the Cronus to the Buffalo II, the Buffalo II is not locking. I know this by measuring the voltage across the Lock and Mute pins (I don't have neither LED installed).

When I revert back to the SPDIF input for the Buffalo II, it locks and plays music fine.

My Buffalo II uses the Volumite control and no Trident regulators.

Last edited:
Thanks Russ.

I am getting about 5.4VDC on the Cronus's power connector. It's drawing power - I have to increase the current on the Placid HD - it's set at about 500mA and shunting 60mA while I have them connected and playing music. I tried another Buffalo II DAC (which I plan to use for dual-mono setup and has previously tested to be working with SPDIF input) and I have the same result - no locking.

By the way, I am pretty sure I heard the Buffalo clicking a couple of times just now but still no locking. It clicks again when I power off. I don't think I heard any clicking at all last night when I was testing.

Apologize for the ignorant question. By testing Amanero - do you mean using the Amanero's I2S output directly into the Buffalo II? Or do you mean measuring voltage on some of the headers?

I will post some pictures at the TPA Support Forum.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Regarding the basics: When it is silent does the USB bus see the Amanero? Click on the upper-left apple -> about this mac -> system report -> USB hardware. Of course you want it on a bus without other hardware. In system preferences -> sound, the USB output is chosen and not muted? Output volume via the keyboard is all the way up? Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI setup is 2 channel & nothing wrong with other settings?

At first my Mac would not detect the Amanero. I had to go into the Settings to switch the output to it. !

Hi, this might be a sign that your Amanero may not be appropriately configured. Is your Amanero from TPA with pre-installed configuration? If not, did you check you selected appropriate firmware to be used for Hermes board? Also, did you check the instruction given by Russ? You might want to continue your discussion in the thread introduced above.

BTW, Hermes-Amanero/Cronus boards are well working on my 13" MacBook Pro connected to BIII SE, enabling PCM to DSD128 conversion on A+.

Thanks Russ. No disrespect intended. Just thought I get some fundamental out of the way to try isolate the issue(s).

I'll respond to francolargo and twluke here for due respect and confine my questions to the TPA support forum moving forward.

@francolargo: yes, I checked my Mac and it recognizes the "Combo 384 Amanero" and shows it's version 1.97 among other things. USB output is chosen and Audio MIDI shows Combo 384 Amanero is 2CH 32 bits and the clock source is Combo 384 Amanero.

@twluke: I ordered my entire Cronus/Hermes/Amanero/Rhea package about 2 weeks ago from TPA. Brian got them shipped out to me real fast :) Very good to know that your setup works well with the MacBook Pro.

Thanks both for your help. I need to figure out how to check the firmware version on my Amanero next.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.31.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.31.47 PM.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 415
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.32.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.32.42 PM.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Russ/Brian, my first build. Buffalo IIIse, Placid HD, Toslink. These three I built and got it running. I also got an Amanero-Hermes-Cronus. Here is where my problem starts. I build it based on all the post here so far. Installed the Crystal and the resistors. Set the jumper to 1:2. Voltage at Cronos is 5.25v, connect DCK, D1, D2 to BIIIse, power connected, jumpered Ip_s. Connect USB cable to windows computer. Turn it on and I could not get a lock, NO LOCK. Tried everything, No Luck....I need some expert advice.

Thanks,
Alex