• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Absolutely, I am right doing so right now.

I know Miero and a few others have as well.

Just curious as to your configuration compared to mine. Does Cronus board revision have anything to do with it? I have v1.2 board, the first pics were of a v1.1 board. It looks like MCK has a different path between the two boards?

Thanks,

474208d1427481593-cronus-its-about-time-img_20150327_081247.jpg

Last edited:
So I powered first cronus combo and after that b3 with your controller running on it.

I still can`t stream no 384khz sample rate files with oversampling filter on neither off.

I noticed again what I was saying to you 6 months ago when I had started the first topic about this neverending problem and that is : b3 goes mono when I turn off sw2:4.

The dac was connected sync.

Finally it works :cheers:

Yes it does :) this time is streaming flawlessly 384khz files in sinc. This is with my controller unit, maybe I will test it with yours too one of these days and report back.

Cronus mck is connected through the 33r resistor directly to b3 mck input.
There was no buffer in the middle.
B3 100mhz vcxo was also disoldered.

And not in the end A BIG THANKS ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 159
I don't think it was the 100mhz vcxo. It didn`t worked with the vcxo disoldered until I have inserted that impedance matching resistor.

Until now I have streamed only 384khz sample rate files. Today for curiosity I have downloaded few 352.8khz files.

When streaming the late ones the dac is acting exactly like in the past. It won`t lock.

It`s strange that it locks to 384khz files.

To be clear I mean the clock gate of the DAC is also likely damaged. Unfortunately not that uncommon - ESD is evil.

It could also simply be that your firmware is trying to do things when the DAC is not ready. Your firmware has to deal with things like the DAC resetting itself when the master clock goes away or is switched.

This is why I say - unless you really know what you are getting into - go async.

The only systematic reason (outside of a hardware/setup failure) I know of that could cause that is a firmware problem.

Keep in mind technically at ~50mhz we are operating outside the normal OSF limits for PCM.

In order to make that work the DPLL has to be wide open.

To run the DPLL at any other setting would mean need double the clock frequencies. Other wise you would lose lock just as you are seeing. This is why we run a 100Mhz clock on the B3.

I had always the dpll set up to freewheel as you say. This with my controller and yours too.

If I don`t connect no controller to the dac he should get the default configuration automatically.
Even so the dac will play 384khz files but not 352.8khz

I really don`t want to go back async because to me it sounds better sync and for this I bought the reclocker combo.

When I go async I don`t feel much of a difference with the reclocker in or out