Could I turn my small Harbeth into a big 3 way with passive crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
getting rather circular here?

Andy, while once again it would be OT to this thread - perhaps you could describe an ideal audio system that would be completely absent blasphemy.

And isn't "digital amp" actually a misnomer, at least in reference to the class at which, offerings by numerous high end manufactures aside, I think you're apparently thumbing your nose?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And isn't "digital amp" actually a misnomer,

Indeed the D in Class D does not stand for digital. Some are indeed idgital but the Class D descriptor only refers to the nature of th eoutput devices. When Infinity brought out the 1st Coass D amp (at least in my experience) a small computer was still in the future. It was very much an analog device.

dave

getting rather circular here?

Andy, while once again it would be OT to this thread - perhaps you could describe an ideal audio system that would be completely absent blasphemy.

And isn't "digital amp" actually a misnomer, at least in reference to the class at which, offerings by numerous high end manufactures aside, I think you're apparently thumbing your nose?

I can see there are some high end digital amps, but a plate amp is far cry from high-end. Either way, I wouldn't listen to a digital amp unless somebody putting a gun on my head.

There are no ideal system but only those which makes you happy. I like the musical experience of a 1st or xover vs. sterile sounding of higher order xover. Any decent amp and cd player would be fine.

Indeed the D in Class D does not stand for digital. Some are indeed idgital but the Class D descriptor only refers to the nature of th eoutput devices. When Infinity brought out the 1st Coass D amp (at least in my experience) a small computer was still in the future. It was very much an analog device.

dave

Class D or digital or whatever is basically passing a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal then to a low pass filter without any analog signal.
Theoretically you can take a purely digital signal without ever having to convert it to analog, do dsp process on it, convert it to PWM, put it through a transistor amplifier stage, then put it through a low pass, then put it through a pair of speakers or where ever makes you happy the most.

When pontificating, I think words matter - so just be prepared to be called on it - I certainly am.

I'm pretty sure you could engage in some interesting dialog with members who've built more than a few audio systems and speakers regarding the relative merits of "orders" of XOs - let's presume you're referring to high level passives (after the amplifiers). I was for quite some time a die-hard FR only, then 1st order only advocate, but after building 3 quite different 'FAST' / 'WAW' systems over the past couple of years, I'm now have a different perspective. It's all about the implementation of the total system - synergy, if you like - although that suggests a result greater than the sum of its constituent parts.

edit - as for who is he - just "search for other posts by" to get a taste for his point of view and contributions to the fora dialogs

Last edited:
It's all about the implementation of the total system - synergy, if you like - although that suggests a result greater than the sum of its constituent parts.
I agree.

edit - as for who is he - just "search for other posts by" to get a taste for his point of view and contributions to the fora dialogs
I only have short term memory.

That's what the search functions are for - although the time to thoroughly research relevant posts on the subject, or those by any given forum member can certainly create speed bumps in the badinage which, speaking for myself is as much an attraction as anything.

Why should I trouble myself with this "scottjoplin"? Is he a like an audiophile superhero? Even then, I really got better things to do.

How would I play vinyl? I know you're going to say "put the vinyl through the ADC of the DSP" but then that sort of defeats the purpose the vinyl doesn't it?
Are there new vinyls ( still sounds weird. Records I call them) that are all analog other than repressings? If not, you would hope that whatever conversions are done are of higher quality than usually be done at home so still may be an argument for an all analog chain?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I supposed you could put lip stick on a pig but not something I would want, but as the saying goes, your speakers your money your choice.
Ah, OK - now I understand. No rational argument, no look at the crossover I proposed, no analysis of how well - or not - the woofer would work with the Harbeth, no proposal of a circuit. Just pigs and lipstick. I'm cool with that. :up:

hey, Michael there are guys who pay extra for that lipstick - just saying

andy - your professions of better things to do with your time, and the frequency of your posts in this thread alone seem to me to be, what's the word - inconsistent"

yky - all this sandbox squabbling aside, have you settled on a plan of attack?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.