Comparative VAS+cascode stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Hayk,
Your proposed circuit is not operational
I missed one wire. See the attached circuit... I drew it at 2am hence why I messed up the circuit and your name... sorry about that.

The best output stage I have is 0.016% 60w 10khz. LKA proposed excellent triple cascade emitter followers , may be best state of art ,has 3.5% Dtot

Can you share your 0.016% OPS?

Regarding LKA's circuit, is it the one in the attached picture?

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    776.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 377
Yes, it maybe replaced. The ratio is 1:1 due it's load of VAS stage. Just only take a picture from my amp.
Change it to 10:1 as you want.

Regards,
Cuong Nguyen

// Collector of FZT be connect to GND or V+ rails. In my design, its connected to V+rail because i want design look as op-amp, not ref. with GND.
This thing cause FZT will dissipate more heat.

Last edited:
Main reason i use FZT because its high Hfe single transistor. It reduce offset of current mirror. Some other descriptions use MOSFET due its advantage that Gate current near as zero.
So, the solution i have are:
1. Use high Hfe devices, beta enhanced config etc...
2. Small signal MOSFET

Regards,
Cuong Nguyen

Your circuit is still un operational.

The circuit is quite operational, see below. Give it a go with your setup and models, let's see what it gives. I don't want to do it on my end due to different simulator/models/settings/etc.
Also, it does need some compensation to keep it stable, see the second plot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Looks good... not bad for just 4 transistors.
I am amazed the MOSFET got us 10x distortion reduction.
In the BJT version, T4 corrects base current error due to Early Voltage, and errors due to CJC.
In MOSFET version, T4 only corrects for CJD.
This means that the base current error is quite dominant given we got that 10x reduction.
Here is a test, what happens if we repeat the test with the circuit in #35 using a PNP (T4) with higher Beta (increase the model beta by 10x).
My theory is that distortion should go down substantially... tbd.

I am trying out different types of VAS+cascode stage for lowest distortion. These are the ones I tested. Please ,suggest other ones I try out.
The stage must provide a current gain of 10, to bring the 1M ohm load to +/-30v 10khz.

The first circuit has anomolously high distortion, yet its output swing isn't excessive, so I suspect the cascode device base voltage is too low - the current through R2 is stealing from the available voltage. Try making the voltage bias for the cascode 2V or 2.5V maybe?

Perhaps change R2 to 100 ohms also, it would normally be pretty small if present.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.