Compact, low cost, active 3-way speaker

Here is my first draft of a design and construction document for this project. My goal is that this document would enable someone to replicate this speaker, without having to study all 680+ posts in this whole thread.

Attachments

• LCCAM-10.3-Design-Construction.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 204
  • Thank You
Reactions: 11 users
I have updated the documentation for this project. As I mentioned above, my goal is that this document would enable someone to replicate this speaker, without having to study all 680+ posts in this whole thread.

Attachments

• LCCAM-10.3-Design-Construction-rev1.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 238
Reactions: 11 users
This is one of the best documentation for a DIY speaker I have read. No head scratching, everything explained, excelent pictures.

Only thing that may be an option, is to do it active 3-way. Leaving out all passive x-over parts may be an advantage.
This could be done without or very little extra cost, if you replace the mini DSP by the DSPB-K DSP Kernel Board and DSPB-KE Kernel DSP Expansion 2-In 3-Out.
Which will mean a little more thinkering how to make the whole thing look neat and use the less comfortable programing in SIGMA Studio.

A nice alternative to the amp you use is the AIYIMA A07 or 07max. It is around 50$ a piece.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
IMG_0785.png

If this suffices, it may be a workable solution.
DSP and Bluetooth onboard.

Full review here:
https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/comment/48302/#Comment_48302

Reactions: 1 user
In general there are two types of DSP. The ones with a GUI like the MiniDSP and the ones that need SIGMA Studio to do the programing of the DSP.
As the first is usualy self explaining, you just load an app and connect with an USB cable, the Sigma Studio dependent are another breed. They are much more complicated to manage. Not everyone will like this.
This is a very huge difference!

Reactions: 2 users
I have updated the documentation... Hopefully this is the final update (but is documentation ever really complete?)

Changes:
Rearranged the order of pages for better cohesive flow.
Added an explanation of the active/passive filter philosophy.
Corrected the passive crossover schematic.
Improved some wording and grammar for better clarity
Fixed a few typos and spelling errors.

Attachments

• LCCAM-10.3-Design-Construction-rev2.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 105
Reactions: 14 users