Compact Bookshelf Build - Options / Recommendations

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The vent on the back would have to be moved (bottom). Variable length means it can be lengthened which might work, but usually in this situation you would be best stuffing the vent to make it aperiodic, make it start rolling of earlier and slower.

It is still a 2-way with XO high enuff that you have to be a certain distance for the driver’s to blend, a metre probably won’t do the trick.

Going thru sims i have for FRs, here are some possibilities. All are 0.58 sealed, no damping, givng room to add damping to further slow the roll-off, extention is F10 anechoic which will give you a good idea of how low (at least) you should get placed on the wall.

Mark Audio
Alpair 10.3 10-11 litre low 40s.
Alpair 10p 14 litre high 40s.
MAOP 10.2 15 litre low 40s.
Alpair 12p 14 litre low 50s.
CHN-110 26 litre high 30s (probably too big), but if you have EQ to do a linkwitz transform type filter might be good in a smaller box.
CHR-90 16 litre low 40s
Pluvia 11, MAOP 11 8.5 litre 50

Fostex
FF165wk 15 litre low 50s.

If you can actuallt extend the box down to the floor.
SEAS
FA-22 75 litre low 30s (needs phase plugs)
FEA18 26 litre high 30s (needs EQ)

Many more sims, but these are current.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
I’d think near-field it would be emphasized… and another reason for a 1-way speaker. You ar eclose enuff that you will not be far enuff away for the separation of a typical cone+dome system to have any chance of integrating.

dave
All I can say, Dave, is that these Piccolos seem to integrate the sound from the mid-woofer and tweeter wonderfully.

I listen mostly to classical music and opera, and these deliver a well-integrated full and rich sound. I don't hear any separation of the drivers at all. Quite to the contrary, everything appears to me to be well-integrated and coming from the space between and behind the speakers as though you were in the concert hall yourself.

My only complaint is that the image is confined to the area between the speakers. So, it's like you are sitting farther way in the balcony of the theater rather than closer up in the orchestra on the first floor. I'm still looking for a way to broaden the image out beyond the speakers without compromising anything else and thereby moving downstairs into the orchestra seats.

And with regard to 1-way speakers I don't see how any of them can deliver the high end the same way it comes out of the SBA SB29RDCN-004 ring tweeter. Just not possible.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I listen mostly to classical music and opera, and these deliver a well-integrated full and rich sound. I don't hear any separation of the drivers at all. Quite to the contrary, everything appears to me to be well-integrated and coming from the space between and behind the speakers as though you were in the concert hall yourself.
Kow close are you?

dave

True, one can add damping to lower the Q (not really applicable with a box with a hole in it, but…) as you push the line more & more aperiodic, but it is way easier if you start with a proper design instead of somethign sort of random as a starting point or you result will not be that much different than the same size aperiodic box with no partitions.
I took an incremental, reversible approach modding one speaker & compare etc like climbing ladder. The Onken-like slotted cab is extremely popular in China (taobao.com) and readily extends into TL. Adding a piece of thick cardboard to lengthen the line usually deepened the bass audibly. The Android APP Frequency Sound Generator reveals any unevenness in FR up to the ear's ability to judge which is louder (and of course one's listening experience/reference).

(pictured Three Musketeers: Dave's Fonkensteen design F120A+Monitor Audio 3/4" gold dome as super-tweeter; Orgue P610S after Diatone; Lowther PM2A Fidelio rear-opening horn; 7L 1m rear-slot and 10L 1.3m front-slot TLs)
全频三剑客.jpg
EVE-AMT-TL-7L.jpg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... it sounds like you've never heard a multi way loudspeaker
I have not heard all speakers, but i have listened to many 100.

My “polarized” views have evolved over 40 plus years of experience, much reading and research, some blind luck. More. Most people are coming from (and towards) specific “directions”.

I am happy with mine. But it will continue to evolve i am sure.

dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
They have couple models might suit. Haven't check local availability of drivers though.

If I drop to a 4" setup there are more options, but hoping to get a 5-6", ideally.
Nothing wrong with using a 4" mid plus tweeter and any reasonable 6" woofer to assist with bass duties, but I'd maybe look at a 2.5 also, all that would need is a decent inductor on the woofer rather than a full 3-Way crossover.
SPL of most would be enough for listening purposes using a 4" full range if the correct driver was selected

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing wrong with using a 4" mid plus tweeter and any reasonable 6" woofer to assist with bass duties, but I'd maybe look at a 2.5 also, all that would need is a decent inductor on the woofer rather than a full 3-Way crossover.
SPL of most would be enough for listening purposes using a 4" full range if the correct driver was selected
Happy with any setup to be honest, its just finding plans/kits that suit.

The 2.5 way ones I've found all fairly deep, 300mm ++

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Yep Modern boxes tend to be narrow and deep but go back a few decades and wide and shallow predominated for bookshelf speakers.
If you use a sealed box and some stuffing volume would tend to dominate IME.
I'm not building stuff at the moment and I usually make big speakers, for small speakers I usually just buy cheap ones off the shelf and modify to suit. What box dimensions are you looking at ?

Yep Modern boxes tend to be narrow and deep but go back a few decades and wide and shallow predominated for bookshelf speakers.
If you use a sealed box and some stuffing volume would tend to dominate IME.
I'm not building stuff at the moment and I usually make big speakers, for small speakers I usually just buy cheap ones off the shelf and modify to suit. What box dimensions are you looking at ?
Width and height not too important (maybe like max height 450), but depth im hoping for fairly slim, 250mm or less ideally.