Classic Aleph Amplifier for Modern UMS Chassis

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Mike - Nice job! I really like the custom machining on those faceplates! Sharp!

Mike - Tony has reminded us... Have you performed the final test? Unfortunately, it is not yet mentioned in the latest iteration of the build documents.

The final test, and benchmark for quality, is the Bilateral Hoff Test. This test ensures the unit is operating to specification in both channels (bilateral) using a test disc from world-renowned musician David Hasselhoff.

1683737934454.png

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mike - Nice job! I really like the custom machining on those faceplates! Sharp!

Mike - Tony has reminded us... Have you performed the final test? Unfortunately, it is not yet mentioned in the latest iteration of the build documents.

The final test, and benchmark for quality, is the Bilateral Hoff Test. This test ensures the unit is operating to specification in both channels (bilateral) using a test disc from world-renowned musician David Hasselhoff.
Ha ha, yes, the Hoff test. I can't do that with my wife in the house otherwise she may move to germany. I didn't write the figures down. I just checked things as I went along but followed the parameters of your checklist.

I set the AC gain to 50% (I like the jumper)

DC offset floats between 0-10mv. Didn't check the polarity. Initial bump as to be expected but that settles quickly.
All Current gain and output mosfets are within around 10mv of each other.
Going from cold to hot, the bias is pretty stable.

So all in all a pretty darn stable and reliable amp. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Mike,

You may consider this classic with your wife in the house. The Aleph brings out the richness and nuances of this track, and your wife may appreciate the romanic gesture from you.

Tony may have a few recommendations, too. I know for a fact he has an LP and a greatest hits CD courtesy of yours truly.

1683738825071.png

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mike,

You may consider this classic with your wife in the house. The Aleph brings out the richness and nuances of this track, and your wife may appreciate the romanic gesture from you.

Tony may have a few recommendations, too. I know for a fact he has an LP and a greatest hits CD courtesy of yours truly.
I will consider it. Only because it is you Randy. I will let you know if she considers it a romantic gesure from me or the Hoffman.

PS, I have a feeling that Tony secretly has a Hoffman tattoo.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tattoo?

That's it, I'm gonna power up the Premium Qualitat A2s today and I will play some Gregorian Chants recorded by High Andes Monks in an all tube Revox half track.

After a couple of years, I still hear the reverberation of Hoff between the notes....

Those A2s do sound really good.

Wait 'till you hear the SissySIT. I have not Hoff'd that one. At least, I didn't...

Randy... you didn't? Did you?

Tattoo... hmrph.... yes, very, VERY nice amps.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000097/mediaviewer/rm2155792384?ref_=nmmi_mi_all_sf_57

Joined 2018
Paid Member
So many great ideas on here today! Do we know anyone who writes firmware who can reprogram an oscilloscope to show the Hoff's face after 60 seconds of that high quality Hoff test track is played? I'm looking at you Tony...

For the record - you know the SissySIT passed the test. The sticker was confirmation.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, I guess the SIT is more resistant to Hoff than the Alephs...

BTW, I just made A BIG MISTAKE. Today.

While the A2s are warming up.... (*)

I hooked up the SissySIT to the Maggies. (**)

And played some music...

ohnononononono......

It does lack the authority of the A2s, it's more like going back to the A5s with the subtlety of the SIT. Dynamics and volume suffers but, but, but....

What we need is a SissySIT Turbo V3 and then we can all stop making this nonsense and just listen.

I'll bet it will make Hoff sound good even!

PS: I would not rewrite the firmware of a fine scope like that... Yikes. ;-) Hmm... but we might do it using a PC, downloading real time data from the scope...

(*) God knows what my electric bill will be.... I think this is costing me 40 cents per KwH.
(**) The speakers are running full range, but I got the Entecs on, sort of like a loudness control.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm talking 200 watts here...

Yes, XA252 SIT.... in the roadmap, I hope.

I used to think I needed the XA252 MOSFET... but no... if I go that route I can always get a used PL XA25 as their prices are reasonable, the PL customers are rich with big speakers to feed (*) so the little 25 gets little love.

I do want the XA252 SIT. (**)

Still... maybe a HUGE transformer behind the SIT with an F4 from hell behind it. Take that sound quality and drive Maggies.

Anyhow, do enjoy the A2s... they sound awesome. Not to rain on your parade... sorry. I love mine too. IMHO, they sound better on the Maggies than the SissySIT because they support the power needs better and they have a very sweet sound with great soundstaging, detail and dynamics.

The SITs sound excellent, but soft, on the Maggies. They need a more efficient speaker, I got a pair of nicely used Audio Note AN-K LX speakers to drive the F4 and SIT. In this respect the lower powered amps are limiting.

The A2s are the better "real life" amplifiers. You have a lot more freedom to choose your speakers and you can throw everything at them... from A Capella, bluegrass, Mahler, The Sex Pistols... whatever....

(*) Hmm... my Maggie 1.7 are different... it's not like I got some Wilson Chronosonics that need a pair of PL XA300 to wake up! Not even Maggie 20 or 30...
(**) Because life is not fully lived unless you have 30 audio amplifiers.... I'm not there yet.... not counting the vintage receivers...

Last edited:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/aleph-choice.3176/

C104 sullo schema Aleph 3 è C6 sui PCB "Classic Aleph".

Da papà stesso:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/aleph-choice.3176/

C104 on the Aleph 3 schematic is C6 on the "Classic Aleph" PCBs.

From Papa himself:

View attachment 1172834
I just don't understand Why in Aleph j this capacitor has been eliminated...do you think there could be a precise reason?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm talking 200 watts here...

Yes, XA252 SIT.... in the roadmap, I hope.

I used to think I needed the XA252 MOSFET... but no... if I go that route I can always get a used PL XA25 as their prices are reasonable, the PL customers are rich with big speakers to feed (*) so the little 25 gets little love.

I do want the XA252 SIT. (**)

Still... maybe a HUGE transformer behind the SIT with an F4 from hell behind it. Take that sound quality and drive Maggies.

Anyhow, do enjoy the A2s... they sound awesome. Not to rain on your parade... sorry. I love mine too. IMHO, they sound better on the Maggies than the SissySIT because they support the power needs better and they have a very sweet sound with great soundstaging, detail and dynamics.

The SITs sound excellent, but soft, on the Maggies. They need a more efficient speaker, I got a pair of nicely used Audio Note AN-K LX speakers to drive the F4 and SIT. In this respect the lower powered amps are limiting.

The A2s are the better "real life" amplifiers. You have a lot more freedom to choose your speakers and you can throw everything at them... from A Capella, bluegrass, Mahler, The Sex Pistols... whatever....

(*) Hmm... my Maggie 1.7 are different... it's not like I got some Wilson Chronosonics that need a pair of PL XA300 to wake up! Not even Maggie 20 or 30...
(**) Because life is not fully lived unless you have 30 audio amplifiers.... I'm not there yet.... not counting the vintage receivers...

The XA252 is nice. I agree that the XA25 is a killer amp for the price. Far different from the Aleph and the SIT. It doesn't impart a lot of personality into the sound. The lack of degeneration in the circuit makes it a very detailed and dynamic amp for it's rating of 25 watts. Not to mention it puts out more than 25 watts.

Alephs are their own breed. My friend wanted a single-ended class A hammer that could move big not so sensitive speakers. These fit the bill. I think through panel speakers they will throw a nice big and pleasing sound. I am enjoying them with my (small by comparison) speakers. I think the only alteration that could be made would be to change the front end to a JFET. But then again, I have always liked the sound of the IRFP610. Especially in this implementation. Classic sound

I am notorious for throwing threads off of topic so no raining on my parade :)

I think the XS300 would be sweet. I was reading about the XS150 the other day and saw SIT mentioned but didn't see the explanation as to how the SIT was implemented.

I generally have around 4 or 5 amplifiers floating around. I used to do the whole vintage thing but started into DIY by building an F6 after which I swiftly sold everything vintage to fund this hobby.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mike,

What kind of speakers are those in your picture? They look like something I'd like to hear.
They are the Bordeaux by Speaker Design Works. Jim Holtz (Jholtz) and Curt Campbell. If you are ever near central Vermont, feel free to get in touch :) Here is a build thread I did on them years ago. Jim and Curt recently came out with the Anology II's which look like very nice speakers. Travelers are another good design. The Bordeaux I believe is an off-the-menu item at Meniscus due to recent inconsistencies in the tweeters.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/missi...r-kit-build?44498-Bordeaux-Speaker-Kit-Build=

Mid Tunnel concept:
https://techtalk.parts-express.com/...n-back-midrange-speaker?p=1431394#post1431394

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was reading about the XS150 the other day and saw SIT mentioned but didn't see the explanation as to how the SIT was implemented.

no SIT in those

either awkward mention of SIT in context, or pure stupidity of journo

though, Papa having way above 10K pcs of Tokin critters, you'll not wait for too long for PL SIT Behemoth

Pa was always devilishly smart; some moves even brutally efficient, having market on mind

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I know there is a SIT 4 floating around somewhere but a PL SIT Behemoth? Do you have the rest of that story?

Outside of the SIT 4, Mr Pass's commerce shark hasn't moved in a while which makes me think that he has a few things up his sleeve. I am sure you know a lot more than I do in regards to that. Lucky :)