Cigars vs. Vapers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed. And it's not ignorance. All of these people (well, most of them) know that they die prematurely from smoking. They know that large sugar intake shortens their life with several years, statistically. They know that obesity increases chance of heart and vascular diseases and shortens life.

But for millions of years our genes have evolved to crave sugar because that's energy that normally is always in short supply, so get it whenever you can. Except for the last century or so.

That's what I meant saying that in some circumstances, free will is an illusion, unless you are prepared and have the stamina to battle your own body/mind complex again and again, every day. Ask anyone who tried to stop smoking again and again how incredibly hard it is to assert that 'free will'.

And that knowledge also puts responsibility on those that misuse this knowledge to sell us all that sugary stuff, do whatever they can to addict us to tobacco, etc.

Jan

I'm not disagreeing with you, Jan.

The point being that even if they do know, which granted they probably do, they still do it and believe that they're in full control of the situation even though it has been shown many times over that human behaviour is relatively easy to nudge in the "right" direction with enough persuasion. Emotional appeal is probably the most effective tool.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Of course, I agree everybody has responsibility to his own behaviour. But if I fully well know that someone is in a vulnerable position and 'can't help it' so to say, and I keep on ruthlessly pushing poison on him/her, it certainly makes me also responsible. Definitely shared.

Jan
Those who exploit others' vulnerability to their vices for profit or otherwise are just evil. Switching from the sales of tobacco to vaping products under the guise of helping your fellow man is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The problem with self gratification is it's easy to get used to. Programs to moderate drinking have proven far more successful than abstinence.

The devolved Scottish Government led the way in banning smoking in enclosed public places in 2006. England, Wales and Northern Ireland followed in 2007.

According to Wikipedia, the United States Congress has not attempted to enact a nationwide federal smoking ban, leaving it up to individual states or local jurisdictions to decide on their course of action.

List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia

In terms of e-cigarettes, there is currently no UK legislation that bans vaping in public spaces. However, many spaces have levied their own sanctions for vapers, and visitors are expected to abide with the prohibitions in place.

Vaping Laws and Regulations in the UK [2019]

Just a summery comment of some key points - IMHO:

1. Nobody ever said smoking anything at all was good for you or completely safe.

2. Likely vaping (without combustion byproducts) is safer than smoking with the hundreds of chemicals burning produces and the carbon monoxide inhaled as well.

3. Anyone who smokes like a chimney should not be surprised that they have major problems at some point. Moderation is the key to much of life's
pleasures and being able to stay healthy, yet enjoy.

Regards,
Greg

The main difference I see is that, if you want to consume cannabis, you don't disturb to anybody, and you assume your own consequences in your health, implicitly or not.

In the other hand, smokers cigars or "vapers", expels smoke that may (and sometimes MUST) be supported by third persons that surely don't want to so it voluntarily. Then, smokers violate the surrounding people wrights.

Vaping in the uk is well regulated, not like the USA. There's no oil in uk eliquid just glycerin and propylene glycol. My 2k rowing time has come down 7 seconds since I switched to vaping and I'm 47, so not expecting to make gains. So it's better than smoking by my experience.
Disco smoke machine smoke fluid is propylene glycol or dipropylene glycol, just sayin'.

Dan.

The main difference I see is that, if you want to consume cannabis, you don't disturb to anybody, and you assume your own consequences in your health, implicitly or not.

Not really, THC affects the sperm through DNA methylation and the ovum in the second generation.

A small study at Duke University Medical Center also found a link between autism and cannabis use.

Also, the effects of THC on sensory-motor skills persists much longer than previously thought -- longer than 24 hours.

But is the same for vapers and cigar(etes). But the smoke quantity is much bigger for the vapers.
Smoking cigarettes produces smoke which is a visible suspension of tiny specks of carbon and other substances in air. These tiny specks tend to hang in the air to be breathed into the lungs of innocent bystanders.

On the other hand, vaping e-cigarettes produces a vapour, or more accurately, an aerosol comprising of a fine suspension of tiny liquid droplets in air. The droplets fall to the ground relatively quickly compared to the tiny specks of smoke which remain suspended in the air for longer.

The vaping clouds may be denser, but contain no solid particles which may become lodged in the lung tissues of innocent bystanders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of vaping in enclosed spaces and have never vaped myself. Furthermore, as an ex-smoker, I get really cross with people who nip out of the pub for a cigarette then come back in and breath their ash tray breath all over you! :yuck:

Account Closed
Joined 2018
All this chatter about smoking cigarettes, etc., out in the open..... just another whine from overly sensitive people, brainwashed to the max.

One afternoon, while waiting for the red light on a corner, I stood there, puffing my cig, minding my own business....
A woman came along with a baby coach, also waiting to cross the street....
She immediately decided to harrass me about my cigarette smoke, claiming her child was with her and "it's bad for my child" - the usual BS.

I replied - mentioning the heavy traffic and busses, trucks going by, spewing a lot more vile fumes than I was, and why she just doesn't jump out into the street to chastize the drivers.
I also told her that it would immediately end her fears. :eek:

The bottom line - consider the facts before laying on the pressure.
Otherwise, just shut the hell up.

Nobody ever said smoking anything at all was good for you or completely safe.
Hi Greg!

The tobacco companies tried their best to safeguard their industry when people began to express uncertainty about the health effects of smoking in the early 20th century.

A campaign that claimed smoking Camels assisted digestion by increasing the movement of alkaline digestive fluids started in 1937. It wasn't till 1951 that the advertisments were banned!

It was also suggested that smoking could lead to noticeable weight loss. A 1930 Lucky Strike advertisement said, "When tempted to over-indulge, reach for a Lucky instead".

Attachments

• For Digestion's Sake.jpg
    For Digestion's Sake.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Reach for a Lucky.jpg
    Reach for a Lucky.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 80
As I understand, you could abandon smoking.
Yes Osvaldo. I never regarded myself as a heavy smoker, but I did start way back in my teens. Then, you could buy single cigarettes ('singles') from the ice cream van which came up our street. I must have had more pocket money than most though, because I could afford to buy a packet of five (yes 5!) Bristol Tipped cigarettes with the magic charcoal filter that made them 'safer' to smoke. Some of my chums simply broke that filter off in order to get the maximum 'hit'!

I finally stopped smoking when the Scottish Government introduced the smoking ban in March 2006. This is why legislation is so important - it is sometimes required to protect people from harming themselves and others!

Since I could no longer smoke in the pub - I was a cigarette and a pint man - I simply decided to stop smoking all together. I just stopped abruptly and required no help from nicotine patches or gum. These days you have the option to start vaping, using the excuse that it weans you off smoking!

Attachments

• Bristol Tipped.jpg
    Bristol Tipped.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 77
I had a feeling, and I was obviously right.

Except, obviously not... All the recent case of death where due to inhaling oil aerosol from liquid that contained oil. Regular e-liquid never contains oil and that inhalation of oil aerosol can be lethal is no new fact.

To all: Please remain rational when adopting a position regarding these devices. It should be obvious to anybody with a remotely scientific background that actually made an unbiased evaluation of the proper use of theses devices that they are orders of magnitude safer than the inhalation of combustion products (smoking). Claims to the contrary have been bordering pseudo-science up to now.

Regards,
Geoffroy

According to some (in my opinion rather extreme) world views it is essential that we omit the responsibilities of corporations and state and rely solely on individual discretion. As absurd as this idea is, some people really believe they're in full control of themselves while stuffing their faces with junk food, smoking cigarettes and drinking litres of liquid sugar every day. One can only show sympathy and understanding to such ignorance.

It's not a question of being in full control or not. It is simply not recognizing the enforcement of life choices and ideologies by states as legitimate. I probably share some of those (extreme to you) worldviews as I prefer retaining individual discretion on my choices over having those choices made for me. This is a form of freedom I prefer to retain. I disagree with the view that people should be protected from themselves and, to be frank, I don't really understand the point of living under that ideology.

Specifically, while I don't approve of pernicious and manipulative marketing, the manufacturer/re-seller of an unhealthy product should not necessarily be held liable of the damage caused by its product, provided the unhealthy nature of the product is not hidden. Doing otherwise seems to be a modern trend in public legislation that have the side effect of normalizing lifestyles, bordering on a form of ideological imperialism backed by the state.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.