Cigars vs. Vapers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cigarettes or vapes?

If in doubt, ask a doctor! :mischiev:

Attachments

• Then.jpg
    Then.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Now.jpg
    Now.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 147
Young people below the age of about 22 are far more likely to become addicted to nicotine as the brain develops around the presence of it. People that start smoking in adolescent years are more likely to become addicted to nicotine for life, already one of the most addictive substances. The industry knows this, yet marketing still goes on. Mmmm tastes good, all kinds of juicy flavors. :whazzat: I think it should be restricted to just a pure tobacco flavor:yuck: and stink like it too. It was Pall Mall menthols that drove my father to an early grave, at 76. My grandfather even earier when I was only 4. They began smoking at an early age.

THC on a young mind results in much more deleterious effects.

Like most plants there are some useful compounds. THC is not the only useful canibanoid in marijuana. Tobacco also has some uses, while certainly a big fat burning stogie will drive away insects and mosquitos, but squeezing tobacco juice on to a bee sting or mosquito bite will immediately relieve symptoms, reduce hystamine response, pain and itching.;)

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I suspect that a substantial part of deaths by smoking/lung cancer are due to individual DNA structure, as well as overall health.
Some people are just more prone than others to having ill effects.
Of course, the anti-smoking advertising that started in the 1970's helped to create another market, including chewing gums for withdrawl, pills, various products to rid odors, (anyone remember the "smokeless ashtray"? or the Ronco air cleaner?) and many other revenue-producing miracle products.
The masses are puppets, rope around their necks, led easily by marketing and hype.
You may think you're free and independent, but you're not.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cigarette companies target young people in developing countries as replacement smokers for those who die or stop. It is a well reasoned strategy.

In the developed world, the smokers that are not able to stop will die off (prematurely, statistically speaking), so the smoking cohort where they can make money off is shrinking there.

Those companies are very, very smart. If you look at a cigarette, you see that most have small pinholes in the part that you normally hold. When the mandatory tests in those 'smoking machines' are done, extra air is drawn in through the holes and the fraction of poison and carcinogens in the smoke is lowered, helping pass the test.
But if you smoke, your fingers largely block those holes so you get more poison and carcinogens which makes for more 'taste'.

Those companies are laughing all the way to the bank about those poor sods that are unable to resist.

Jan

Inhaling glycerin and propylene glycol still doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. I've also heard that quitting vaping with nicotine is even harder than quitting cigarettes. BTW, the LD50 of nicotine is probably about 0.8 mg/kg, which is not that different than cyanide, though some people have survived pretty high doses. Everybody's different but why test your luck?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Cigarette companies target young people in developing countries as replacement smokers for those who die or stop. It is a well reasoned strategy.

In the developed world, the smokers that are not able to stop will die off (prematurely, statistically speaking), so the smoking cohort where they can make money off is shrinking there.

Those companies are very, very smart. If you look at a cigarette, you see that most have small pinholes in the part that you normally hold. When the mandatory tests in those 'smoking machines' are done, extra air is drawn in through the holes and the fraction of poison and carcinogens in the smoke is lowered, helping pass the test.
But if you smoke, your fingers largely block those holes so you get more poison and carcinogens which makes for more 'taste'.

Those companies are laughing all the way to the bank about those poor sods that are unable to resist.

Jan
You're the captain of your own ship. What do you think the strategy was in 1971 when all the major tobacco execs stood up one by one in court, raised their right hands and declared "smoking is not addictive"? By the time they were finally corralled into a court room after a multiple years long battle, consensus was that whatever comes out of their mouths is a lie. They knew they were banging the last few nails into the proverbial coffin with that declaration.

Nothing in this Universe has the power to control your will without your consent, not even God. So if He can't, how can anything else? Anyone who ever made a decision ever had a problem.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think the consensus is, that there are many things in life where your 'free will' is mostly an illusion. The fact that we are self-conscious and can think does not mean we have absolute control over the mind-body system. I'm sure anybody here can come up with examples.

Knowing that, and knowing that what you yourself do, like manufacturing health-dangerous and addictive substances and market them to the population does make for a large share in the responsibility.

Jan

anyone remember the "smokeless ashtray"?
I remember it well!

The vintage version had a plunger which you pushed down, spinning a platform and allowing the cigarette butt to descend into the interior of the ashtray.

When the spring-loaded plunger popped back up, the trapped, smoking butt was deprived of oxygen and extinguished.

However, it appears that smokeless ashtray technology has moved on in the modern age!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1535410485...MI-vTol-nQ5AIVS7DtCh0Dpg9VEAQYBCABEgIPzfD_BwE

Attachments

• vintage smokeless ashtrays.jpg
    vintage smokeless ashtrays.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 123
  • modern smokeless ashtray.jpg
    modern smokeless ashtray.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
The amount of smoke that comes out after a person takes a draw on one of those Vape things is crazy. It's almost like 3 peoples worth of lung fulls from a normal tobacco cigarette from one vape inhale. I work with a few smokers and a guy that uses only the Vape thing. Comparatively when the Vaper guy exhales it's like a massive cloud of smoke compared to the regular smokers etc.

So glad I quit back when I was 29.. Pre internet , pre cell phone zombies, pre vape etc etc.. The good old days lol :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The amount of smoke that comes out after a person takes a draw on one of those Vape things is crazy. It's almost like 3 peoples worth of lung fulls from a normal tobacco cigarette from one vape inhale. I work with a few smokers and a guy that uses only the Vape thing. Comparatively when the Vaper guy exhales it's like a massive cloud of smoke compared to the regular smokers etc.

So glad I quit back when I was 29.. Pre internet , pre cell phone zombies, pre vape etc etc.. The good old days lol :)
X 3 is being generous, more like 10

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think the consensus is, that there are many things in life where your 'free will' is mostly an illusion. The fact that we are self-conscious and can think does not mean we have absolute control over the mind-body system. I'm sure anybody here can come up with examples.

Knowing that, and knowing that what you yourself do, like manufacturing health-dangerous and addictive substances and market them to the population does make for a large share in the responsibility.

Jan
You can be forced to act against your will, physically and ultimately physiologically. However the former doesn't change it, the latter will be overcome. It's the latter where our vices live and where our power lies. The recipient is just as accountable as the proponent.

Ben Franklin knew that smoking was harmful. Even back then, logic was sound. The logic that how could inhaling smoke from a fire be not harmful seems, well, logical.:scratch2:

But then Franklin also had a daily exercise routine including jumping jacks and jogging among other activities. The guy lived to 84 in the 18th century, he must have been doing something right.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Ben Franklin knew that smoking was harmful. Even back then, logic was sound. The logic that how could inhaling smoke from a fire be not harmful seems, well, logical.:scratch2:

But then Franklin also had a daily exercise routine including jumping jacks and jogging among other activities. The guy lived to 84 in the 18th century, he must have been doing something right.

And poor (bless her soul) Patsy Cline died in a plane crash in 1963.
Humans were not designed to "fly"though the air, they have feet, legs, and gravity (a natural thing) which keeps them on the ground.
So.. doing anything that wasn't natural to do is potentially dangerous.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can be forced to act against your will, physically and ultimately physiologically. However the former doesn't change it, the latter will be overcome. It's the latter where our vices live and where our power lies. The recipient is just as accountable as the proponent.

Of course, I agree everybody has responsibility to his own behaviour. But if I fully well know that someone is in a vulnerable position and 'can't help it' so to say, and I keep on ruthlessly pushing poison on him/her, it certainly makes me also responsible. Definitely shared.

Jan

Of course, I agree everybody has responsibility to his own behaviour. But if I fully well know that someone is in a vulnerable position and 'can't help it' so to say, and I keep on ruthlessly pushing poison on him/her, it certainly makes me also responsible. Definitely shared.

Jan

According to some (in my opinion rather extreme) world views it is essential that we omit the responsibilities of corporations and state and rely solely on individual discretion. As absurd as this idea is, some people really believe they're in full control of themselves while stuffing their faces with junk food, smoking cigarettes and drinking litres of liquid sugar every day. One can only show sympathy and understanding to such ignorance.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Indeed. And it's not ignorance. All of these people (well, most of them) know that they die prematurely from smoking. They know that large sugar intake shortens their life with several years, statistically. They know that obesity increases chance of heart and vascular diseases and shortens life.

But for millions of years our genes have evolved to crave sugar because that's energy that normally is always in short supply, so get it whenever you can. Except for the last century or so.

That's what I meant saying that in some circumstances, free will is an illusion, unless you are prepared and have the stamina to battle your own body/mind complex again and again, every day. Ask anyone who tried to stop smoking again and again how incredibly hard it is to assert that 'free will'.

And that knowledge also puts responsibility on those that misuse this knowledge to sell us all that sugary stuff, do whatever they can to addict us to tobacco, etc.

Jan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.