Cigars vs. Vapers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Black Russian.jpg
    Black Russian.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 82
WalMart phasing out vapes starting today.
In the UK, there doesn't appear to be an outbreak of vaping-related sickness. Neither has vaping's popularity soared among young people who never smoked. Rather, e-cigarettes have been embraced mostly as a way for adults to quit combustible cigarettes.

By contrast, in the United States, more than a quarter of high school students are said to be current e-cigarette users in 2019.

Vaping: The US and UK see e-cigarettes very differently. Here's why - CNN

Hahaha hilarious!

My local shop sold these for some time, and Bessie mate's father smoked them - perhaps they satisfied the men folk too?

The menthol were just vile!

I was always surprised with an oddball pack of random cigs when my mate went on his summer hols away. Spanish Cigarillos are another memory of being 16 (or warning not to smoke)

On my first (and only) long holiday abroad (Montreal for 3 wks over xmas), being a young teen, and before my mum had worked out i was smoking, I had numerous trips to tobacconists, trying to find a fag that I could bear to smoke. B& H were totally different to back home, and the Players were about twice the strength of anything I'd seen.

Last edited:
I tried a Black Russian once.

They were weird and smelly, though I did smoke a few. My first exposure to them was at an art premiere at a very small gallery which used to be a former powder store in the old fort of Halifax Citadel, the room was like a half cylinder and poorly ventilated. There were about two hundred or more people crowded in there (to view a world premiere of Inuit Cape Dorset prints), including the Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia. Another guest was Bob Wickstrom, an American ex-pat artist and hippie, who was chain smoking Sobranie Black Russians. Back then people smoked everywhere, but that was pushing the limits of decency. Of course I was a teen ager and thought it was very cool!

If it helps you, welcome. But as my father and some guys below said, it is not the only way to forget smoking. An abrupt stop usually give best results.

Again, if it helps you stop smoking, very good.
The key thing is to replace the smoking ritual IG the times you habitually light up. the nicotine is physically addictive, the smoking is mentally addictive. it's two challenges, I find it easier to tackle one at a time.

I tried that for a time in my early twenties, but it was quickly abandoned - too much faffing about!

Do you realise how long it takes to break in a new pipe? And that's essential break in/burn in time - we're not talking speaker cables here! :)
Oh, it's a learning curve to properly load and light, and then avoid the chemical burns to the tongue caused by puffing to hard and making the fire to hot. this creates some nasty compounds, perhaps familiar to cigarette smokers who have shared a cigarette that gets burned rapidly.

The charring of the pipe itself can be done with a torch.

Captain black is my preferred OTC brand , but way too expensive, I buy suttliff blends in bulk ($32 a pound) , I like a good cavandash and Virginia, can't stand English blends, taste like they have been in a house fire.

ALL THINGS IN MODERATION

As I said above I consume a fraction of what I did with cigarettes, I work for a pulmonologist who condones the moderation and says that nicotine while very addictive can be a useful drug in limited quantities. it is mostly the delivery that causes issues in people who are more susceptible while others may smoke all ther lives without complications. The additives to cigarettes are particularly harmful and moving to a natural product is risk reducing.

My view is that of all the things that we might have enter our lungs, humans have been exposed to smoke since the first fire was lit and we may have evolved to deal with it, whereas other vapors our biology have not have evolved a mechanism to cope.

I Sought to quit when I was experiencing a regular smokers cough every morning and the price started climbing. I don't regret relapsing because I no longer have a cough and can run a block without shortness of breath. and furthermore the ritual and smoking of a pipe has significantly reduced my need for nicotine, I can take a 5 hour flight without any anxiety from nicotine withdrawal, but don't get my way out of the airport to have a puff :eek:.

...the ritual and smoking of a pipe has significantly reduced my need for nicotine.
Yes, it takes much longer than simply reaching for a cigarette!

Pipe smokers don't tend to inhale smoke as much as cigarette smokers, but some nicotine still enters the bloodstream after being absorbed through the lining of the mouth.

The average 3g bowl of tobacco can yield 90-150mg of nicotine compared to the 12mg of the average cigarette, so it is advisable not to inhale when smoking a pipe!

Last edited:
I quit cigarette smoking for almost 5years now, currently using vape but will stop soon after the multiple death news that I read online.

buenavides1,

It will be the best thing imaginable for your health if you do.

Tip:- wear gloves and decontaminate your home of traces of nicotine by washing down all objects and surfaces. If needs be, deep clean all carpets and curtains, all your clothes and towels too.

This may sound excessively drastic, but remember this - nicotine as a narcotic poison is so toxic that a single drop the size of a pinhead will kill a horse. It is stray molecules of nicotine found within the home and everyday surroundings that trigger the body’s cellular craving for a substance every bit as addictive as crack cocaine.

To be finally free of nicotine, regardless of its delivery system, is just wonderful.

Good luck!

ToS

Tip:- wear gloves and decontaminate your home of traces of nicotine by washing down all objects and surfaces. If needs be, deep clean all carpets and curtains, all your clothes and towels too.
To emhasise ToS's advice, I provide a link to an article which quantifies the extent to which the house dust of smokers’ homes has been found to be contaminated with nicotine. Similar findings are reported for cars.

Does the Smoke Ever Really Clear? Thirdhand Smoke Exposure Raises New Concerns

Children, particularly toddlers, are at greater risk from contaminated dust because they spend more time close to the ground and are more likely to put materials in their mouths.

When I was a young TV tech doing Curtis Mathis warranty work for leMac TV I had a call for no color, those warranty's were 7 years and we got a lot of minor petty service calls But we made sure those Sets had a picture as good as it was brand new. I screened every call for non warranty because it wasn't fun to have to charge 39.95 to plug a set back in after they had unplugged it due to a storm. so after guiding the customer through the basic adjustments on the phone she continued to say it was not producing color and she wanted me to come out as the warranty was near its end. So I put her on my service schedule and went out the next day walked into a familiar scene like my grandparents [old fellow sitting in his easy chair with a 2 inch long ash dangling from his lips and an Edith Bunker like little old lady scrambling around making a fuss over housework and how cluttered it was. It was exemplary tidy and neat . So I look at the TV and sure enough the damn thing was OD green I flipped the channel ran the controls back and forth and saw there was definitely a change , when color is out it don't do that, and it wasn't the right shade to be the CRT. I turned and looked around and up to the ceiling and the realized what the problem was. I went my finger and rubber a little spot that confirmed. I asked her if she could bring me some windex, then upped it to Fantastic. she scurried away and returned wringing her hands with a look of deep concern as I sprayed the entire screen with a good dousing of degreaser she expressed her grave concern I was going to be electrocuted. about that time the fantastic broke through the 7 years of nicotine and looked something like that wizard of oz scene as it sheeted off the screen. she exclaimed OMG I Didn't know I was supposed to clean it. I WAS AFRAID IT WOULD SHOCK ME. . I did a complete cleaning and review of all the settings, cleaned the manual tuner and even adjusted their Ariel and connections before I handed them the bill. she was incredibly embarrassed and I never heard from them again. so yeah indoors smoking is like using spray paint in the kitchen it pollutes everything it touches ( or hairspray with some members of the family)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.