Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF96 - your statement is theoretical, surprising from one who makes pronouncements that are supposed to be scientifically based. Get yourself tested, in fact why hav'nt you been already - remember what the fat man said - all theory should come from practice.

If you do and the test shows you have crap hearing - will you come back to this thread and tell everyone.

In fact anyone posting on a thread like this should let the forum know the state of their hearing.

I had a hearing test performed just 2 days ago at the Centre de Sante in Albi - part of series of tests performed for all new residents of the Tarn in France. it was as expected - a slight loss in the left ear - due to a moron student given a Lee-Enfield Mk 3 rifle loaded with blanks on a film shoot. The test clearly showed that I have above normal hearing for my age.

Black Stuart said:
DF96 - your statement is theoretical, surprising from one who makes pronouncements that are supposed to be scientifically based. Get yourself tested, in fact why hav'nt you been already - remember what the fat man said - all theory should come from practice.

If you do and the test shows you have crap hearing - will you come back to this thread and tell everyone.

In fact anyone posting on a thread like this should let the forum know the state of their hearing.
Nonsense. Only those who make personal hearing claims need to back it up. I make no such claims. I can only assume you have never actually done any real science.

Perhaps I should insist that all who make circuit claims have an appropriate degree from an accredited university? That would be equally daft, as truth does not depend on who says it.

Well, I just got thru reading 9 pages of this. I will admit it has me wondering. I'm no expert by far but have listened to many many pieces of equipment. In reading this thread I will admit it has me wondering. Years ago I made a passive unit using two rather expensive pots that tracked extremely close to each other. After listening to them I felt that the sound was superior to a line stage of either tube or SS design or any preamp I'd ever heard. Probably because of the absence of parts.

If my memory is correct I have listened to a number of switched resistive controls and they sounded very good in my opinion. However, I couldn't honestly tell any diference with different resistor types/manufacturers. Maybe that is 65 years that is causing my hearing to be less than perfect.

In reading these fun fact filled pages I find myself wanting to try one of these units to audition and see if they are the absolute. Upon reading the explanation of the operation of the LDR I find myself wondering how one is able to get units that will track 100% with each other to maintain the best balance possible.

Then again one compares the "Perfect" audio control to an amplifier that when subject to a sine wave doesn't end up producing the same output on each channel.

If you are assembling an LDR for curiosity's sake, you will or could find that if you provide exceptional circuitry to the anode and cathode, and do not directly ground the cathode, that the findings of post #1 will start to become apparent.

Not being an expert I find myself being curious about the LED's circuitry and the effect its going to make on the overall sound. Upon looking at the makeup of the LDR I find the signal going thru the resistance portion so how in the heck is anything in the LED's circuit going to change anything? In my warped thought process anything associated with the LED will only affect the ability to track the volume level and maintain a consistant level associated with the control being moved or left alone.

I have some questions if I may....

How do you test several LDR's to obtain a "Matched Pair?" Do you run voltage thru them and check the outgoing voltage? Do you use a regulated supply to the LED's and also for the voltage being fed thru them? Can the LDR's simply be matched by varying the LED's voltage thru a precision resistance pot? Is sheilded cable used in the construction of these units?

Sorry for all the questions but before I try to purchase or DIY this concept I need to make sense of the operation and possible benefits of this LDR precision audio control and there seem to be some conflicting ideas or possibly just sales hype?

Burnedfingers said:
Upon looking at the makeup of the LDR I find the signal going thru the resistance portion so how in the heck is anything in the LED's circuit going to change anything?
Exactly. Provided the LED supply has low noise then it cannot matter (for sound quality) exactly how you wire the LED.

In my warped thought process anything associated with the LED will only affect the ability to track the volume level and maintain a consistant level associated with the control being moved or left alone.
No warping in your thoughts.

This fellow also claims that the time resolution of human hearing is 5 microseconds or better—which would correspond to a frequency of 200 kHz, requiring audio equipment ideally to have a flat response to that frequency.

Is the superior LDR you are suggesting / your preamp flat to that?
You raised this point on the Blowtorch thread. It appears to relate to Interaural Time Difference not frequency response.

I'm going to dive into this in the attempt to try to understand.

There are no components so I will make the assumption there is no real time difference between entrance and exit unless you can compute the time it takes to move thru the LDR and a few inches of wire. It certainly has to be a little quicker that going thru a SS or tube line stage. Wouldn't the frequency being sent the same as what is exiting the control unit and of course the quality of the signal goes back to the quality of the source.

Burnedfingers said:
Post #34 shows a link a opamp pass transistor .jpg. Isn't that just a diode? Base emitter junction as a diode? Why not use a diode?
A few years ago Chris had a habit of scattering diodes around his circuits. Some were forward biased but did nothing useful. Some were reverse biased and did nothing useful. Sometimes he would use a transistor (or opamp) with an unusual connection, which again would do nothing useful. Hopefully he now understands electronics a little better.

Exactly. Provided the LED supply has low noise then it cannot matter (for sound quality) exactly how you wire the LED.

Quite wrong, it matters greatly for sound quality how the anode and the cathode are positioned ( worded above as how you wire the LED ? ) in a circuit, that is relative to the outer DC supply and DC ground.

Anode of the NSL32SR3 being typically 4.5 volts from incoming DC and cathode of the same device 9 volts above DC ground.

A few years ago Chris had a habit of scattering diodes around his circuits. Some were forward biased but did nothing useful. Some were reverse biased and did nothing useful. Sometimes he would use a transistor (or opamp) with an unusual connection, which again would do nothing useful. Hopefully he now understands electronics a little better.

Oh dear,sadly regarding what is a fascinating topic, comments degenerate regularly into condescending types of reply.

I'm going to dive into this in the attempt to try to understand.

There are no components so I will make the assumption there is no real time difference between entrance and exit unless you can compute the time it takes to move thru the LDR and a few inches of wire. It certainly has to be a little quicker that going thru a SS or tube line stage. Wouldn't the frequency being sent the same as what is exiting the control unit and of course the quality of the signal goes back to the quality of the source.
You can assume there is no appreciable time or frequency difference caused by the circuity.

Quite wrong, it matters greatly for sound quality how the anode and the cathode are positioned ( worded above as how you wire the LED ? ) in a circuit, that is relative to the outer DC supply and DC ground.

Anode of the NSL32SR3 being typically 4.5 volts from incoming DC and cathode of the same device 9 volts above DC ground.

The LED is separated from the resistor/resistance inside the LDR thus they are not in ANY contact. Two different entities. They cannot have any baring on the quality of the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.