Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of added variables, are we to believe upstream or downstream components, and implementation, now change the sound of resistors ?.

Can we concentrate on the resistor itself and all perhaps agree, that resistors chemical properties can indeed cause difference in sound. Measured resistance is the end result, no doubt about that, but the chemistry of the make up of the physical object causing that resistance value, causes differences in sound.

It suggests we hear this difference, but measurements presently fail to adequately discern.

Can resistance audio quality vs just resistance be measured, to assist qualification of one resistor vs another.

Last edited:
That's a lot of added variables, are we to believe upstream or downstream components,
and implementation, now change the sound of resistors ?

Let’s make something clear off the bat:
*****I am not saying resistors have sound.****

I’m saying that likely this person is not understanding what is creating the change in sound either actual or perceived.

You don’t know if their system is configured sensibly. Or perhaps they went from a misconfigured system to a better configured one.

Maybe he went from a tube line stage with 3x gain to a lone attenuator, both connected to a solid state amplifier.

Perhaps they now have more range of use of their volume control; whereas before they were stuck between 9 and 11 o’clock.

Are you suggesting that impedance matching, level matching, cable capacitance and so on shouldn’t be considered?

I’m suggesting there’s much more likelihood that there was something more quantifiable that isn’t being touched upon. They are likely ignoring the factor which had the greatest impact. These are basic cognitive bias.

The changes I mentioned above have real measurable differences, which offer a much more plausible explanation than the one you are asking us to take on faith.

Again the measurable distortion in an LDR attenuator is far greater than that of any resistor I’m aware of.

Resistors don’t have sounds- just parameters, which may offer improvements in sound or may not depending on where and why they are used.

Last edited:
Chris Daly said:
and over in the Parts a thread entitled Resistor opinion, an opinion on resistors 11 days later apparently now having difference in sound, yet both presenting resistance ?
Thank you for illustrating the point I made: some people worry about which (very linear) resistor to use in their circuits, while others (or sometimes the same people) are happy to use a non-linear volumne control.

Chris Daly said:
Can we concentrate on the resistor itself and all perhaps agree, that resistors chemical properties can indeed cause difference in sound. Measured resistance is the end result, no doubt about that, but the chemistry of the make
up of the physical object causing that resistance value, causes differences in sound.
No. It is a resistor's electrical properties which could result in a difference in sound. In reality almost all ordinary resistors and volume controls are so linear that no difference can be heard. LDRs are less linear than an ordinary resistor so it is more likely that a difference can be heard; some people seem to like this difference and then deny that it is distortion.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My experience with passive preamps is mostly negative. I know, its just switches and pots, being with wiper or more switches with resistors...i made quite a few passive preamps, they work, but they always sound better when they are followed by good buffer.
Recently i made few jlh buffers, b1 buffers, experimented with different jfets, made matching jig, obtained original toshibas, and so on, so each passive preamp now follows with buffer, so technically its no preamp, as it has no gain.
Sounds way better with buffer for me. Passive can not drive next stage properly, unless that input is of very high impedance.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No. It is a resistor's electrical properties which could result in a difference in sound. In reality almost all ordinary resistors and volume controls are so linear that no difference can be heard. LDRs are less linear than an ordinary resistor so it is more likely that a difference can be heard; some people seem to like this difference and then deny that it is distortion.

This should be easily measurable...
Remembe thread by X about preamp with 40 volt output no cliping...he optimized circuit to minimum distortion by changing feedback resistor type.

Other than the LDR's which are NSL32SR3's ,trims, and potentiometer which is a 50k Bourns in the cathode side, there are no resistors in my circuit, or capacitors following initial supply.

My earlier criticism of a 7805 is quite justified , it is a part made by the industry to make power supplies easy for mass production. Measuring its internal resistance on a ST7805 we see 4k78 between output and gnd.

My earlier criticism of a 7805 is quite justified , it is a part made by the industry to make power supplies easy for mass production.
Since when are components made as a one-off? Aren't these (NSL32SR3) mass produced?
Measuring its internal resistance on a ST7805 we see 4k78 between output and gnd.
What is your point? It can't be zero ohms.

Since when are components made as a one-off? Aren't these (NSL32SR3) mass produced? What is your point? It can't be zero ohms.

NSL32SR3 are certainly produced but not mass produced ( yet )

You need to go the other way, if we create a very high impedance and more the better, the anode and cathode start behaving with their own characteristics. A 7805 is a 4k78 resistor in parallel with the anode and cathode compounded by a capacitor in some circuits. You can see straight away - or you should that the internal resistor and capacitor are being driven and the anode and cathode of the LDR are largely being ignored for what they are capable of.

Last edited:
Could you provide a translation of this into technical English? As it stands it makes no sense at all.

I understand from a while back on a different thread someone said Chris has a techo babble program he uses, just to do this to you with, it could have been in his bizarre highly questionable opamp transistor pass through circuit thread.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Chris Daly's opamp pass transistors.jpg
    Chris Daly's opamp pass transistors.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
I have written to moderators to remove post 34 as it contains link to a commercial product being promoted by the writer, as do all the posts by this writer .

If we all had this freedom to have self authored links to our own products on every post we write, the forum would collapse, into an unpaid advertising space and nothing more.

I have written to moderators to remove post 34 as it contains link to a commercial product being promoted by the writer, as do all the posts by this writer .

If we all had this freedom to have self authored links to our own products on every post we write, the forum would collapse, into an unpaid advertising space and nothing more.

I asked admin many moons ago and was given permission to do this Chris as my signature, as did Joe Rasmussen and many many others who contribute sound diy ideas to diyaudio.

The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Cheers George

Last edited:
We have been adversaries for as long as I can remember, that's fine, but what is disappointing is the unnecessary derision, that creeps in.

So readers are aware and its not hard to find this with a google search What you offer and what i offer have been compared already: "The Stereo Coffee listening experience seems to be up quite a few notches on the renowned Lightspeed" Comparison Lightspeed DIY LDR Pre VS Stereo Coffee DIY - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET

I wonder why ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.