Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you bothered to read my post you would understand that my neighbours didn't even realise they were listening to recorded music. They thought it was live music.

One of them is a music teacher, who presumably has heard live instruments. Have you?

You might make judgements when you are inebriated. That doesn't mean everyone else does.

I was wondering why it took you so long to get back on the attack.

Friend, I couldn't contain myself any longer when I read this post. Yes, I am very experienced in the audio field as I worked for a sound consultant for over 25 years, am experienced in live sound and still don't drink.

Last edited:
This is a toxic thread full of BS and need s to be moved the the "Vendor's Bazzar", it serves no purpose to the diy'er because all has not been revealed so the diy'er can make it for themselves, it just a platform to sell kit's from.

Cheers George
I agree also please move the thread.
It would seem the sole purpose of this thread is to try to sell the kitchen assembled mediocre kits.

You don't provide any details about yourself. You have never contributed to this forum. You have set out to destroy Chris without having ever dealt with him. You have no knowledge or interest in DIY LDR products.

If asking for measurements is an attempt at destruction, then perhaps destruction is warranted?

All I want are unbiased measurements.

Can you provide evidence of marketing claims on components that allow DIY enthusiasts enjoy audio that would stand up in a law court?

That doesn’t make complete sense to me and seems OT. I already reviewed that information in previous posts which you can reread.

Opinions on the importance of data to me:

Too much perefect specs can be a bad thing, trust your ears and the specs.

Ok. So..... Where are the specs?

As for all your negative comments, it's bizzare that someone thinks they can give ANY constructive input when they have not even listened to or built one, and who admits they listen to oxidized pots that are over 20 years old.

I’m not sure where you get that from. That’s not the case.

Moreover, all I’m asking for is measurements to be able to make an informed decision as a consumer, along with whatever reviews and personal experiences are out there.

I’m not sure what’s wrong with that.

Maybe upon seeing them I’ll get one for myself. Stranger things have happened.

Didn’t XRK agree to measure one?
Why is Chris now absent? Has he sent one?
Then this thread may have useful information worth keeping where it is.
We should wait to see the status on that.

Hi Space,
Something tells me that it might be a long wait for X's measurements.

Just curious, but what are you looking for in this thread, beyond your prediction in your first post, #7 in this thread. You have not posted in the Arduino thread with the zeal with which you post here, and you built ZDR's Arduino controlled LDR unit, though you seem to be the only one to not like it.

Last edited:
Thank you #df96, #spaceistheplace, #burnedfingers for your contibutions.

You have generously left a permanent public trail of proof that you will ostracise anyone who comments positively about Chris or StereoCoffee with unrelenting, co-ordinated bombardments of untruths, contradictions and extreme bias for the audio world to see.

For example, #spaceistheplace bangs on about Chris using this forum as a sales tool and is so self righteous that his aim is to stop it. Mmmm. Didn’t you post a link to the ZDR Vincent Arduino based LDR attenuator website which has posts telling members that he only has a limited number of completed boards left for sale and they around Cost AU$385?
Sounds like full on retailing to me. You have been told so it's your duty to stop that too.

#DF96 is well known on other forums for his academic knowledge about every subject except sexism it appears if your read his "wife in the kitchen" quote. And similar follow up posts.

None of you seem to have an identity except for #burnedfingers and none of you admit to comparing or even want to compare a StereoCoffee with LightSpeed for your own assessment. So your how can you own criticism be verified?

#burnedfingers is the only one who had the courage to divulge his hands-on audio experience and everyone should applaud him for that.

#spaceistheplace says he lives out in space on 'Proxima Centauri b' on his forum profile. That doesn't give your contradictory posts much credibility.

I started in DIY building mono UL valve (tube) amps in the 1960’s and have experienced the enormous changes to audio equipment. Change is still happening and I'm still learning and I appreciate Chris’s contribution to audio because it has led me on a path to quality sound I didn’t think possible at any price, for the outrageous price of AU$150, 18 months ago.

Now, I’m off to listen to some great music from my $1500 system and sharing it through the window with my young, educated, non-intoxicated neighbours who appreciate live music.

#DF96 your claims that “Perhaps we should test all sound systems in that way? It would be a development of the 'wife in the kitchen' test.” is an another excellent example of your highly developed sarcasm. What would a psychologist make of that?

FYI StereoCoffee users don’t frequent this forum. They share their opinions rationally from personal experience on another properly moderated forum.

It's like trying to have a discussion with a bunch of teens here, so I won’t waste mine or your time here any more. I'm off and won't even bother viewing your normal predictable replies.

Hi Space,
Something tells me that it might be a long wait for X's measurements.

And why do you think that is?

I have time.

Just curious, but what are you looking for in this thread, beyond your prediction in your first post, #7 in this thread. You have not posted in the Arduino thread with the zeal with which you post here, and you built ZDR's Arduino controlled LDR unit, though you seem to be the only one to not like it.

I’m looking for measurements.

Specifically in cases where exceptional claims are made in commercial devices.

Even more so in cases where these exceptional claims are based on devices whose schematics make little to no sense to anyone with an engineering degree.

And even more so in cases when there is continued, active avoidance when opportunities are presented to corroborate their claims with data.

And even more so in cases which resort to personal attacks when people raise valid, sensible concerns over transparency.

As I’ve said many times:

An issue of claims and of marketing.

This is not about LDRs specifically.

This is not a comparison of LDR implementations.

I have nothing against LDRs, but think it personally unnecessary given inexpensive, less convoluted alternatives which measure better.

Jackinnj did a comparison of some of the LDRs and found the distortion pretty down in the dirt. So, implemented well it shouldn’t do audible harm unless you have the hearing of an owl.

(You can find this on the second page of Vincent’s thread).

I haven’t had time to fully evaluate Vincent’s design and my build of it.

Vincent offered his device freely to the community, including gerbers. No claims were made and it’s not a commercial device. Anyone is free to build.

I built it to explore the arduino and implementing an OLED display in my primary preamp. The LDR didn’t factor into my reasoning.

So, for that I’m grateful. It met my needs.

I’m not suggesting it’s a bad device, only that it underperformed in my system, my feeling is due to its passive nature.

Personally, I’m pro-buffer and in some instances would like some gain. I’m not someone who is generally looking for a passive device anyhow.

Since I haven’t had the time to fully evaluate it, I will hold off on any claims about it’s “sound” besides a brief comment since I was asked. Our minds are not very trustworthy.... especially in a 20 minute passing evaluation when compared to the resolution of an AP test set.

Thank you #df96, #spaceistheplace, #burnedfingers for your contibutions.

You have generously left a permanent public trail of proof that you will ostracise anyone who comments positively about Chris or StereoCoffee with unrelenting, co-ordinated bombardments of untruths, contradictions and extreme bias for the audio world to see.

This is simply ridiculous.

Nothing is coordinated.

For example, #spaceistheplace bangs on about Chris using this forum as a sales tool and is so self righteous that his aim is to stop it. Mmmm. Didn’t you post a link to the ZDR Vincent Arduino based LDR attenuator website which has posts telling members that he only has a limited number of completed boards left for sale and they around Cost AU$385?

Vincent’s gerbers are 100% FREE to anyone who wants to have boards made and build it.

He asked for $0 for his contribution.

See page one of the thread.

Sounds like full on retailing to me. You have been told so it's your duty to stop that too.

Yes I agree zdr’s sales activity should be moved to the Vendors Bazaar.

Your constant berating has kept me rather busy so feel free to alert the mods.

#DF96 is well known on other forums for his academic knowledge about every subject except sexism it appears if your read his "wife in the kitchen" quote. And similar follow up posts.

Wife in the kitchen is a reference to “my wife heard the change in the sound from the kitchen”.

That’s not sexist. That’s a reference to a popular phrase in audio review-speak.

You are sounding rather unhinged.....

None of you seem to have an identity except for #burnedfingers and none of you admit to comparing or even want to compare a StereoCoffee with LightSpeed for your own assessment. So your how can you own criticism be verified?

I don’t want either, so why would I want to compare them?

I am criticizing an absence of data to support exceptional claims.

#spaceistheplace says he lives out in space on 'Proxima Centauri b' on his forum profile. That doesn't give your contradictory posts much credibility.

I would argue that this increases my credibility.

Why are you so angry?

Let’s get this thing measured and be done with it.

It’s been offered for free.

I agree to purchase one if it is confirmed that the schematic actually makes sense and that it measures better than a sub-$20 Chinese stepped attenuator such as the one linked to above.

What better outcome could you possibly hope for?

Prove your preamp is what you think it is and increase Chris’ sales figures all in one fell swoop.

Last edited:
And why do you think that is?

I have time.

Well, the unit itself needs to be mailed from NZ to US, for starters. Then it's 2-3 weeks in transit. Then it has to get measured, when time allows, etc. It all takes awhile, if it happens at all.

As to the rest of your post, well, this is a thread about LDR's and their implementation.

I might add that you posted about your disappointment back in July and it's now December. And now you post you haven't had time to evaluate. I guess you do have a lot of time.

Oh, and one more thing....why are you so fond of double spaced writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.