Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry George,

While I applaud you for at least providing product measurements, and a more sensible offering from the LDR camp, the IP thing is getting tired.

Property that is not legally indefensible is not property.

I invite you to attempt suit with Tortuga audio, Chris or whomever and see for yourself.

It’s a little ridiculous at this point to beat that dead horse.

Last edited:
Sorry George, the IP thing is getting tired.

I invite you to attempt suit with Tortuga audio, Chris or whomever and see for yourself.

I don't care how tired you are about my IP, but I do arc up to anyone claiming it, as he done many times not just here.
Also I do think Morten (CaptainWatt) of Tortuga would be "very pissed" at being bundled into the same electronic knowledge ability as Chris Daly, Morten has more EE knowledge on the sole of his foot.

Cheers George

Last edited:
That’s not my concern.

What I mean is that if your unable to successfully litigate your “IP”, well, then it’s not IP.

This is regardless of the caliber of EE behind it.

Anyhow, off topic.

If DF is unwilling to offer up a design for technical comparison, I think the DACT ripoff along with any other LDR topology would suffice.

How much is one of Chris’ preamps anyhow and where does one purchase it?

Edit:

Wait, they start at 3k and he can’t afford a proper measurement battery?

Last edited:
I can't believe how much anger is being generated on this supposed DIY Audio forum by people who have never even listened to the equipment they are criticising. Surely it doesn't fit into the spirit of DIY Audio forum and it's time people grew up.
Everyone wants to have the last say and I also can't believe how many words have been wasted ...on destructive criticism.
I'm out of here forever and going to enjoy some beautiful music on my LDR preamp.
Cheers,
Rob

Stereo Coffee Passive LDR Preamplifier

Stereo Coffee LDR Passive Preamp Kits

Eerily similar, no?

More to your affiliation than just a satisfied customer?

That’s not my concern.

What I mean is that if your unable to successfully litigate your “IP”, well, then it’s not IP.

Anyhow, off topic.

If DF is unwilling to offer up a design for technical comparison, I think the DACT ripoff along with any other LDR topology would suffice.

Edit:

I would refer you to post 61 where moderators cautioned George
for the same style of comments he is once again submitting.

At post 118 you can see my 3 input kit, bears no resemblance, to any that you mention above.

Was George the first to use LDRs as volume controls or had someone else done so before him?
I understand he may have been the first to offer a finalised design to the DIY community.
tim

I started them in the mid 1970's it's well documented in pages all over the net how it was done using Nikon camera light-meter parts, as I was a qualified Nikon camera technician and very interested in audio, and thought there must be a better way of controlling the volume in a preamp than these shity pots. You can search and find it in numerous sites as well as with Sam Tellig of Stereophile did an early review, and owns 2 Lightspeeds MkII's one for himself and one for his piano teaching son.

Then I shelved it in the 80's till the ldr reliability factor and lower impedance was improved, with newer and more advanced LDR's.

In between that time in the 90's Melos copied it and used it in their Melos Sha Gold Reference Pre-Amplifier and called it the Porzilli Pho-tentiometer after Mark Porzilli who designed the SHA-Gold Reference.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/MrSneis/DSC_0320-1.jpg
These were a disaster and nearly sent Melos broke because of the Porzilli Pho-tentiometer, I think everyone came back to haunt him under warranty.

Then once the ldr's became what I wanted them to be in around 2000 , I started the Lightspeed Attenuator MkII and in 2005 made it public, as a DIY project for all to build themselves, with a just little electronic knowledge.
Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Cheers George

Awesome, really? My 23 step resistive attenuator was about 10% of that, no pixie dust though.

Must’ve used a Shallco or something?

I think I came out comparably with a full compliment of RN55E and high quality relays in the ladder I use.

The δ1 relay-based R-2R stereo attenuator

It even has measurements...

I’m surprised they haven’t manufactured an audiophile neck brace to keep you precisely in the listening sweet spot.

(Custom carved in Cocobolo of course)

And if anyone is wondering, I’ll be cooking my thanksgiving turkey in an oven recently recapped with Mundorf EVO Gold series, so standby for tomorrow’s review.

Last edited:
Stereo Coffee Passive LDR Preamplifier

Stereo Coffee LDR Passive Preamp Kits

Eerily similar, no?

More to your affiliation than just a satisfied customer?

I was going to ignore this childish attack but I have because I can't believe your destructive attitude and need to protect my own reputation.

I do not work for Chris, I do not work for Transcendent Sound or Uriah Daley or ER Audio. I share these projects so that others may enjoy them. Why don't you do the same?

If you bothered to look at my website you would realise there are several other projects I have built and discuss. Because the StereoCoffee has been completely redesigned, which you obviously don't know, I will be updating my experiences with it.

What have you ever built and shared with others ?

That’s not my concern.

Anyhow, off topic.

Edit:

The price is NOT $3000 as you state.

My StereoCoffee cost me $150. Now they have a totally new power/control power supply and have increased to $250 NOT $3000.

You can get one on eBay, that's where I bought mine.

I am confident the actual LDR is virtually blameless with third harmonic ,
or other distortions rather, and this takes a bit of a step or leap of faith, what Silonex measured was inadequate control LED circuitry

Strangely LDR's behave like this - if you use poor circuitry arranged for the control LED, thats how they then sound, If you use very good circuitry they just continue improving. How that transfer occurs remains a mystery.

I see where the problems arise. It is in the very liberal mixing of objective data, such as distortion and the subjective perception of distortion.

To think that LDR distortion is somehow dependent on the LED driving manner is...to put it mildly - clueless. At the same time the way the LEDs are fed is very likely audible despite the inertia of LDRs and the vehement denials of IP George :)

Has anyone experimented with replacing the LEDs with an incandescent light bulb? Less noise, a lot more inertia, complete absence of confusing anodes and cathodes :D ...not sure how easy the surgery would be.

I see where the problems arise. It is in the very liberal mixing of objective data, such as distortion and the subjective perception of distortion.

To think that LDR distortion is somehow dependent on the LED driving manner is...to put it mildly - clueless. At the same time the way the LEDs are fed is very likely audible despite the inertia of LDRs and the vehement denials of IP George :)

Has anyone experimented with replacing the LEDs with an incandescent light bulb? Less noise, a lot more inertia, complete absence of confusing anodes and cathodes :D ...not sure how easy the surgery would be.

Thanks for your comments. The NSL32SR3 is a encapsulated LDR having a internal LED not exposed to ambient light, see the datasheet , so raising comparison to bulbs etc is obfuscating what is actually being used, despite Georges interesting historical notes.
http://lunainc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/NSL-32SR3.pdf

The attached data sheet for a TL431 which is used in my circuit is attached see "applications" ,disagrees with your mild opinion.:cool:

Attachments

• TL431_432.pdf
    443.2 KB · Views: 43
Un-encaspsulating one of these critters would have been my first order of business if i were into LDRs. And obviously experimenting with alternative light sources, slower and less capable of transmitting PS noise.

No idea why a TL431 datasheet is attached or in what way it disagrees with my opinion.

An incandescent bulb might have more noise than an LED, especially at low frequencies, although it will have some low pass filtering built-in for PSU noise.

The very first MkI's I made in the 70's with the Nikon lightmeter photocells, I used a 3 or 4" tube the same size as the photocells one was glued in each end, and a hole was drilled in the middle of the tube, for at the time all I had laying around were small neon bulbs for the lights source, similar to these. http://www.giangrandi.ch/electronics/neon/glowing-lamp-dc-neg-s.jpg

And to analog_sa above it is virtually impossible to detect the difference with regulated 5v with linear wall wart supply or a pure battery source, it is well documented.
The only time a difference was detected and measured, was when they were powered with SMP not linear wall warts, which raised the noise floor from a few uV's, this noise came in via the ground plane and some "think" they heard the difference.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.