Chris Daley's Stereo Coffee Preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for some sort of magazine write up on this techinical break thru and haven't found anything. About the only thing I came up with was an aussi DIY post where he claimed he was going to get a patent. This I would like to see since George's design goes back many years. Hmmm.... A patent on that power supply? Not hardly.
Been playing with DIY for years worked in the audio field and still I'm no expert. Performance generally is measured at least on my neck of the woods by how it performs when hooked up to test gear under controlled conditions. Once this is done generally people under go blind listening tests. So far all of Chris's little buddies have come forth shooting off their mouths and bad mouthing anyone that dare to say anything against Chris's magical little box.

I will issue a challenge here..... Send me your box. A box from Chris and a box from George. I will run tests and do blind listening tests to see if there is any difference between the two boxes. End result I will make the results known and I will PURCHASE the best box. If there is no winner I will return both boxes in 100% condition. At any rate there would be a decent non-bias evaluation complete with blind listening test with people that have nothing to loose or nothing to gain just plain audiophiles interested in only one thing the pure enjoyment of audio.

AndrewGM, robmid,
It's quite simple - the arrogant techies, all of them havn't created a single product, if they had they would we would all know about it - those that can do and those who can't mouth off.

I put the simple challenge to the likes of the super arrogant DF96 - he hasn't, can't invent/create anything.

DF96 - I asked a friend I have known for a long,long time - he is a psychologist with an international reputation to look at your posts - narcissistic personality disorder - you simply cannot be wrong, you asrer completely perfect:D

All those who enjoy products like Chris makes are - irrational/deluded - seriously you are hilarious :D:D:D

Like AndrewGM and robmid - there is no need for the likes of us to post anymore. I will continue to use diyaudio for info but that's all and contrary to what you arrogantly think - you hav'nt won you've lost totally - we are the winners.

I've been looking for some sort of magazine write up on this techinical break thru and haven't found anything. About the only thing I came up with was an aussi DIY post where he claimed he was going to get a patent. This I would like to see since George's design goes back many years. Hmmm.... A patent on that power supply? Not hardly.
Been playing with DIY for years worked in the audio field and still I'm no expert. Performance generally is measured at least on my neck of the woods by how it performs when hooked up to test gear under controlled conditions. Once this is done generally people under go blind listening tests. So far all of Chris's little buddies have come forth shooting off their mouths and bad mouthing anyone that dare to say anything against Chris's magical little box.

I will issue a challenge here..... Send me your box. A box from Chris and a box from George. I will run tests and do blind listening tests to see if there is any difference between the two boxes. End result I will make the results known and I will PURCHASE the best box. If there is no winner I will return both boxes in 100% condition. At any rate there would be a decent non-bias evaluation complete with blind listening test with people that have nothing to loose or nothing to gain just plain audiophiles interested in only one thing the pure enjoyment of audio.

I obtained Tom's ( tomchr ) quote. I can certainly save to pay for that but may take some considerable time. In the mean time your challenge above I think looks sensible, But can we raise the stakes a bit and have DF96 submitting the best design he can do as well ?

I obtained Tom's ( tomchr ) quote. I can certainly save to pay for that but may take some considerable time. In the mean time your challenge above I think looks sensible, But can we raise the stakes a bit and have DF96 submitting the best design he can do as well ?

It was implied that the challenge was a LDR type of attenuator, sorry if that was not absolutely clear.

Noting his criticism's over all these years of LDR's , lets see if DF96 can
build a LDR attenuator, and in the process be confronted and hopefully learn from the actual challenges involved.

It was implied that the challenge was a LDR type of attenuator, sorry if that was not absolutely clear.

Noting his criticism's over all these years of LDR's , lets see if DF96 can

build a LDR attenuator, and in the process be confronted and hopefully learn from the actual challenges involved.

I propose DF96 and Chris each submit a device of their own design and choice of topology for measurement to someone with the tools and knowledge to execute a fair comparison.

I’d throw an eBay knockoff attenuator in there as well as a point of comparison. I’d be happy to get one myself as my part.

My vote would be for Scott to be the recipient, if he should choose to accept.

Black Stuart said:
It's quite simple - the arrogant techies, all of them havn't created a single product, if they had they would we would all know about it - those that can do and those who can't mouth off.
Your view of the world of commercial audio is quite naive; it makes rich pickings for snake oil merchants.

I put the simple challenge to the likes of the super arrogant DF96 - he hasn't, can't invent/create anything.

DF96 - I asked a friend I have known for a long,long time - he is a psychologist with an international reputation to look at your posts - narcissistic personality disorder - you simply cannot be wrong, you asrer completely perfect
Declaring the messenger mentally ill is a tactic used in totalitarian regimes all over the world. I hope you will forgive me if I don't immediately march off to see my GP with your friend's carefully considered and highly professional remote diagnosis and insist he refers me to the local mental health facilities.

All those who enjoy products like Chris makes are - irrational/deluded - seriously you are hilarious
When you take a dislike to someone it is always easier to criticise what they haven't said. It saves the time you would need to analyse and rebut their actual views.

Like AndrewGM and robmid - there is no need for the likes of us to post anymore.
Thanks. That will save me from the trouble of extending my ignore list.

Chris Daly said:
But can we raise the stakes a bit and have DF96 submitting the best design he can do as well ?
Best design for an LDR volume control? You must be joking; my first step would be to omit the LDRs!

This thread is about Chris's particular circuit claims. It isn't even about LDR controls as such, as that has been argued in other threads. Those issuing 'challenges' obviously have not been following the thread, or have not understood the issue.

I understand the thread and the issue.

My point is to once and for all put an end to the snake oil and proposed magic. I offered to test and it was rejected. I was also going to throw a pair of 100K Allen Bradley pots into the mix and test them as well.

Still waiting to see how that Patent is going Chris:D

I would have thought he would have put it up also. He has nothing to loose after all he made mention that he was going to get a patent for it. I know for fact he can't patent the idea of using a LDR so the only thing left is his circuit which will be carefully looked at the patent office. Also, he would have had to patent it within a year of making it public if my memory is correct. Surely nothing to loose and everything to gain. So far he doesn't want any testing done on it and certainly no blind listening test from people other than his buddies. So it remains purely snake oil in my humble opinion.

This thread is about Chris's particular circuit claims. It isn't even about LDR controls as such, as that has been argued in other threads. Those issuing 'challenges' obviously have not been following the thread, or have not understood the issue.

The thread if you read Post 1 , is actually about a DIY Audio member sharing his opinion of my LDR 3 input kit.

An invitation for DF96 to stop being a theorist and instead extend his thinking to be practical which "Do It Yourself "(DIY) is all about where it was suggested he submit a LDR design of his own, to the quite good idea of a independent person, listening to each , and perhaps learns from that experience is met by:
Best design for an LDR volume control? You must be joking; my first step would be to omit the LDRs!

Oh my goodness, why oh why would you want to use a very cheap knockoff of a genuine article, that basically appeals because it uses the word D_A_C_T. And you can be sure that the vendor did not ask DACT for permission to use their trademark in any way shape or form.

No, it appeals in spite of the use of the word DACT. It is a volume control. Spend $12 and measure one. You will find that the resistance tracks very well channel to channel. You will not find measurable distortion (unless you are Ed Simon) nor dynamic range compression nor other artifacts. It is a voltage divider. I look forward to measurements of an LDR attenuator that can beat it, and unless the LDR beats it by a mile or costs less than twenty bucks, I would choose the one made of resistors, thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry, but NO.
It doesn't matter if it works well.
It matters that the vendor has stolen the DACT trademark to sell a product.

I tried, but my name and product was bought in too many times for me to stay mute to this BS

And what do you think has happened here with this thread and claimed "patented applied circuit" with this "product" and who's making a buck from someones else's IP, with some BS added circuit that does sweet FA. Just like the "Pass Transistor" circuit he tried on and was shot down in flames. That I'll leave someone else to post up.

Please!!

He calls himself an Electrical Engineer, can you please post up all the degrees so that we can see them for ourselves???

Cheers George

Attachments

• Chris Daly  preaching something for Java Audio. .jpg
    Chris Daly preaching something for Java Audio. .jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.