Choky Susy F3 for LU1014's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I nearly forgot my question;) What is a mediocre speaker?? Is it the ProAc clones, widely aclaimed as the best speaker under 8.000£? Is it something else? To me the Scan speak drivers sounds just as fine as their reputation. And dont even give me that Fostex cr%p kind of talk!! They all sound bad, just like all the Lowther's!!

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Crappy speakers, no good amps.....
Do your self a favour and go listen to a real highend speaker.........
Makes you want to forget about all the homebrew cr#p:D
I have been eyeballing these "ISIS" for a while:
Avalon

I wasn't serious ........ and big question is can I ever be .....

but - gimme a brake .... :rofl:

1. thing - Avalons aren't DIY , so this time I didn't consider are they adequate for under 30W amps .

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:

Some folks honestly believe they can clone-replicate stuff like that, without the mellone dollari test setup. :clown:

couldn't agree more ;

hehehe

I'm from that part of Desert , where is more appropriate cloning Westminster or Autograph , than eeny weeny 7" footbackandforthmoving spk.

anyway , I see few other , more appropriate , solutions to bang 20Kquids ; and all o them are from pro world ;
and worst are PMC .

(just imagine this sit :
presentation of PMC/Bryston 5+1 system ; various tracks - remastered or oringinaly mastered for multich , including PF, Parsons Alan, some German guy (pretty high on something ) who is writing classical for 5.1 etc.

after extensive listening ......... I found myself drooling at several Tannoys (various cabs and combinations) , all of them with rotten suspension , just standing in several corners of room .....

anyway - silent and retired Tannoys are more music , at least for me ....... )

:rofl:

:clown:

edit :

is it necessary that I include line "it's allowed that YMMV" in sig ?

:devily:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:

A 2-bedroom appartment for 20 Millary Clintons sounds like a fantastic deal.

time flow is odd thing ......

ya're more and more one liner (as Papa :rofl: ) and I'm more and more "i'mreachingmaxallowedwordsperpost" (as GR :rofl: ) .....

but what's not changing is amount of dumbness of two of us

Attachments

• 3d smile 9.gif
    3d smile 9.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 633
jacco vermeulen said:

Some folks honestly believe they can clone-replicate stuff like that, without the mellone dollari test setup. :clown:
Steen's comment on the Cpt. Crabsters is dead on the meuney though.

I knew that at least you would agree and understand;) Anyways, the speakers are the notorious problem child in DIY and also in real life! A good speaker unit cost a minor fortune. A good set of speakers cost a lot more than that!! I have been searching the web for a decent pair of highend speakers DIY project.... It is a no go.... Tons of crappy stuff though.
I beleive I will have to bleed the $ for a real set of loudspeakers.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

I knew that at least you would agree and understand;) Anyways, the speakers are the notorious problem child in DIY and also in real life! A good speaker unit cost a minor fortune. A good set of speakers cost a lot more than that!! I have been searching the web for a decent pair of highend speakers DIY project.... It is a no go.... Tons of crappy stuff though.
I beleive I will have to bleed the $ for a real set of loudspeakers.

you're right ;)

but - I think that you already embraced good enough role-model with your amps ;
just wait a little more and see what gray-beared/haired man will reveal - in speaker department .

you were pretty good in following his fun with sand ........ I think that same - with paper , will be even easier .

as always - YMMV

:clown:

edit : I think that you misunderstood - that I don't agree or understand
what I wrote is :
so - if you (any of you/us) want special amp ........... then do your homework and find/buy/build some special spks ........ not any ProAc clone or fluffy cheapest Fostex in easiest box drek .

so - I clearly wrote that any of better Pap's amps is certainly better than usual Fostex or Proac clone DIY spk ;

8000 greenies - that's hardly any guarantee in today's world .
you know better than me what's implemented in that price ticket .

Well, we're down to semantics by now.

My personal attitude towards what's good and bad, is very simple. I couldn't care less what other people think, but I do like to hear the opinion of someone, whom I know well. This offers me a pointer, if I like it or not.

As an example, Steenoe offers great assistance to me in that aspect.
We sure have very different taste, but I know approximately what something sounds like to me, when Steenoe describes his point of view.

So, here you got somebody who's very happy with the sound of el cheapo Fostex FE166e in very simple box, and it's not because I have not heard something better. I have been working for Dynaudio, and heard their top of the range speakers....I just didn't like them all that much ;)

Magura :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:
Well, we're down to semantics by now.

My personal attitude towards what's good and bad, is very simple. I couldn't care less what other people think, but I do like to hear the opinion of someone, whom I know well. This offers me a pointer, if I like it or not.

As an example, Steenoe offers great assistance to me in that aspect.
We sure have very different taste, but I know approximately what something sounds like to me, when Steenoe describes his point of view.

So, here you got somebody who's very happy with the sound of el cheapo Fostex FE166e in very simple box, and it's not because I have not heard something better. I have been working for Dynaudio, and heard their top of the range speakers....I just didn't like them all that much ;)

:worship:

as I see it - we are here together ( it doesn't matter in what :clown: )

when someone tease me for something , it's never ******* contest .......

except when Jacco is in question .........

shall we open dedicated thread for "cheap" killer spks?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

Hmm, those Tannoy's could be an interesting thing to play around with, but here they're about as rare, as 25 y.o. virgin :xeye:

there are some other solutions , besides Tannoys ;

Magura said:

No offense taken, just making a counter argument to Steenoe and Jacco:smash:

yeah ..... these two pooftahs really need protection from me

Attachments

• 3d smile 165.gif
    3d smile 165.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 532
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.