Chip amp modification to current drive

Hello,

as i am not into electronics but want to understand well is the the schematic now proposed? (See attachment)

Just tell me where to attach the 0,25 Ohms to ground in the amplifier? To GND at the LM3886 chip in the shortest way?

So this schematic is for 33x amplification.

Attachments

• current drive amp.jpg
    current drive amp.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 153

Attachments

• reyrergryty.png
    reyrergryty.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 124
  • schematic hard wired 1.png
    schematic hard wired 1.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 126

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What is the intention of the 220 Ohm resistor between plus and minus at the loudspeaker output?
Leave out that resistor. Disconnect the speaker. The amplifier has no NFB, wants to run "infinite" gain, goes out of control.

Well-behaved amps will just go to the rail and stay there. Many amps and layouts will squeal, perhaps supersonic.

I'm not sure 220r is the 'ideal' value, I'll leave that for fans of underdamped speakers. We do see it a lot in guitar amplifiers as a fair approximation of zero-feedback power pentodes.

Reactions: 1 user
This worked for Peavey. The multiple feedback loops give the designer more things to tweak. Yes, it is "drawn backward" with a funny style and is single-supply and a different chip.
Hello, interesting to see this one. Could be used with simple Laptop power supply. Could be tried, too.
However I think +28 is the main power supply positive rail. What is +14 Volt in this schematic for?
Should'nt C22 (1000 mfd 35 Volts) be of a bipolar type?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use that 220 ohm just as precaution if there is no speaker connected. If there is no load, current drive amp will raise the voltage to produce current, but nothing will flow. Than someone will plug the speaker and get surprise.
If you are sure you will not mistreat the amp, you can omit it. I would not.
Good luck. You will need it.

Reactions: 1 user
I use that 220 ohm just as precaution if there is no speaker connected. If there is no load, current drive amp will raise the voltage to produce current, but nothing will flow. Than someone will plug the speaker and get surprise.
If you are sure you will not mistreat the amp, you can omit it. I would not.
Good luck. You will need it.
Hello Adason, so nice to learn about it! I would not omit it just wanted to know what it does.

I will certainly try out with LM3886 as soon as I get my hands on some chips and find the time to bring it all together. It certainly has less distortion than the TDA2040.

Wish you good luck, enough to get a working chip there.

I mentioned before, and being realistic, not so deeply interested on who made the chip, as in:

• does it work?
  • does it (reasonably) meet specs?
  • will it survive regular use?

so not really against "second source" or it being a "copy" or even "being different inside" as in it being usable, meeting above basic specs.

my 2c: all you need is to ensure 3886 stability if you use DSP to EQ. I'd use 0.22 | 0.25 Ohm in series with spk; instead of a single 220 Ohm: {4.7 Ohm + 10uF} || {4.7 Ohm + 330nF} bypassing "4Ohm" spk. Double R / half C for 8 Ohm. The gain will be ~20dB, Ft~200kHz. Basically, you need to repeat gain/tau from figure 3 in the datasheet.

Functionally, I'd think you need 26dB gain on audio frequencies and a drop to 20dB from 140kHz to 280kHz (for the sake of safe phase margin). That means in line with the speaker = Re / 20. Spk impedance grows as sqrt(f), so you need to limit it. So ... something like that.
1662604982806.png