Chinese Pass amp clone

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it would help if you put inf about your location in profile

that helps in many cases, Boyz can give you specific info where to look for parts

if you are in Europe, dealing directly with Modushop is logical and clever to do - there is your case

next - I believe there are numerous local sources (everywhere) for decent and good quality xformers, no need to think that just few factories in world are capable of making them

junkyards and surplus stores are also matter of local knowledge

etc.

when making "just one for my self", possibilities to save money and have even more fun are endless

it would help if you put inf about your location in profile

that helps in many cases, Boyz can give you specific info where to look for parts

next - I believe there are numerous local sources (everywhere) for decent and good quality xformers, no need to think that just few factories in world are capable of making them

junkyards and surplus stores are also matter of local knowledge

etc.

I am in Denver, CO (location set). There use to be local sources, but no longer.

Find an old Sansui / Technics / Sony / most Japanese set, refurbish it.
Price will be really low.
Not Denon, Marantz, Yamaha or Onkyo, those are tricky.

Most would be a fraction of the price you have in mind, and need cleaning, switch lubing, pot lubing, and maybe cap replacement.
Solid sets, not doubtful Ali stuff.
And think of making one with Class AB or D, using a salvaged power supply.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is it really any different than when you clone it yourself?
Chinese will unscrupulously steal anything worth stealing. And you are supporting it.

When NP publishes his design on his FirstWatt page or here, you are free to make it for yourself. Making it a commercial enterprise is breaking a law.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have seen many Aleph built from scrap parts over the years. With a bit of ingenuity one can build it super cheap (you can play with rails voltage / number of fets / sinks size). No boutique component will ever give more listening pleasure that a DIY one. Let alone a third-party clone.

I have an old Aleph 3/30 PCB I will send you at my expenses if you promise to build it. What about this as a start?

3 - 2022-02-05 11.49.17.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users