Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

Having never worked with mono amps, I have a few questions: Should I treat these as 2 separate amps, one powering each channel with 2 power supplies, or can I use one PS.

For testing, before putting them in separate enclosures (with separate power supplies), I used them for a while by powering them via a single PSU - an ordinary laptop "brick".

Just put pluses and minuses from both amps together - I mean Vcc lines from both modules are joined into a single Vcc line, and both Gnd lines (from both modules) into a single GND line.

Hope I explained it OK :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Lacro,

If your SMPS supplies are not identical, they may fight each other. I have paralleled identical SMPS bricks together before successfully but they were the same model . For now, just run a single SMPS to both amps like den_hr says. Unless you are pushing high SPL's or driving a sub it should work fine.

If you still want to parallel two slightly different SMPS's - put a 10w 0.33R power resistor in series with the positive of each one, followed by an appropriately sized diode before tying them together at a common +ve. You will lose almost 1v down to 23v but they won't be able to burn each other out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I got them wired up. I decided to try my Astron linear regulated PS that I adjusted to deliver 15V powering both boards. So far the tiny little amps sound great. See postage stamp for size reference. Currently my test set-up is streaming Pandora from a tablet to some cheap Pioneer speakers.

seepHVD.jpg

yu8AXTK.jpg

BTW, can anyone recommend a solid (and small) tube preamp to be used with these (from ebay, as usual :))?

I can't, you can however make a tube buffer from parts yourself, easier than soldering the tiny smd's :D You'll like the increased bass output. If you also want to lower tpa distortion, that might be a little against your tube idea, make a differential tube buffer, a little more complex, but also plenty of schematics around.

his idea might be to add tube distortion
a tube buffer doesn't have to distort, differential the tpa distortion is lower than from single ended input
Keantoken buffer increases tpa bass too and that happens to be transistor, I can only imagine 9k input setting, I only have experience with 60k setting

So why should there be more bass?

Speculation here - there won't be more bass (as in higher amplitude) but there might be lower noise accompanying the bass due to a tube buffer having a higher input impedance and hence presenting less load to a source.

Note that a JFET could also present a high input impedance, as could a darlington connected bipolar. Nothing particularly special about a tube buffer.

Those mentioning magic really think it exists?

I bought a tube buffer as well,
firstly, it was to balance the "fatigue" effect I had with my IRS2092
It worked like a charm....
Then I bought a YJ TPA3116, fully modded.
I tryed with and without the tube pre.
Honestly, I don't know if the sound is distorded or not, but I am sure I prefere with the tube pre.
The tube pre is fully modded as well.
As it is the 2 tubes version (fully modded as well), dynamics are really really better than having no tube pre.
I tried the 3 tube version (with the rectifier tube) but it was not as good in dynamics.

OK, I went with what I had at hand :)
I had a small presentation yesterday, and I wanted to present two sets of mono block amplifiers - one based on Breeze TPA3116, and one with the new Sanwu TPA3118 modules.
I also had to have some kind od preamp/volume control, and instead of going with a simple passive solution (attenuator, or even a simple stereo pot), I went with a Chinese buffer board I had for some time, but never really got to put it to good use - and this was a good opportunity to use it. So, I put it into one of my older round enclosures, drilled a hole for the tube to stick out, and also relocated the volume pot to top cover, and voila - a nice "preamp" for the mono block modules to try out.
I was somewhat surprised by the general and universal praise the system(s) received. The speakers used were Ice by "Audio Epilog", also handmade in Croatia:
Products | Audio Epilog

In short, the people at the presentation were not just some random non-audiophiles who can't tell a good sound from bad - and the praise the systems received were that much more appreciated. To be quite honest, I never expected such compliments :)
(I mean, I know these modules/amps sound good, but THAT good....?)

The loudspeaker builder was there himself, and he told me that the systems sound way better than the Hypex modules he has (UCD400, I think he mentioned) - which is something I never expected to hear.... (and still can't quite believe!)

But, all in all, I'm quite satisfied how it turned out: I'm not that worried about THD numbers - what's important is the reaction from the listeners, and these were a total success (regardless of potential distortion, THD numbers, and whatnot)...

The owner of thse speakers (his office is where the presentation was held) said the system would remain in the office, and that he was considering getting a subwoofer, to "fatten" the sound somewhat, since the music will be played in the office - as a background music with volume turned down, so as not to interfere with work....
But, after hearing these, he said he wouldn't need a subwoofer :)

In the photos: from left to right: Breze amp, my server/streamer with front-mounted LCD display, plus round enclosure with amplifier, and on top is the tube buffer. On the right - two sets of mono block amps: top (darker wooden face, square enclosure) is TPA3118, and on bottom are mono blocks with Breeze TPA3116 boards...

Attachments

• Ice_HanaLab1.jpg
    Ice_HanaLab1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 952
  • Ice_HanaLab2.jpg
    Ice_HanaLab2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
den_hr,
Nice builds!! What are you using for PS's with the 3118's, and are they inside the cases or external?

Power supplies are "ordinary" laptop PSUs, external, one for each block - i.e. two power supplies for a pair of monoblocks. The supplies are *identical* models, purchased in the same batch from the same (reputable EU) seller, 19V/4A each.
A little underpowered, perhaps, but the mono blocks will not be pushed to the limit, they are intended for office use on relatively low volumes, so these should be more than sufficient. Also, the "heatsinks" for the tpa3118 are more than enough: the enclosures which are used as heatsinks are made from 4mm thick aluminium, so quite hefty.... During my tests, the modules did not heat up too much (only to very moderate temperatures....).
I prefer to use external bricks, avoiding possible interference - and keeping the amp and server enclosures small in size, which in my cease is an important design consideration.
Also, external laptop PSUs avoid dealing with electrical certification: I buy existing "brand name" ones from reputable dealers in the EU...