ChatGPT ideas about amplifier design

Training on hallucinations is only going to make the problem worse.
What you describe, if I understood what you mean, is one of the emerging issues/problems related to the use of chatbots by ordinary people.
The fact that the former appear and even "converse" in a human-like way is one of the points that people fall on.
Really so many terms are similar to human ones and to biological ones (intelligence, neural, learn, training, etc.), but they are only calculation.
And people find it hard to believe it.

It's a lie that any of these AI's are not being trained with a continually updated data set.
Hi, I start by saying that I agree that multinationals lie systematically, but do they always lie?
Or do they lie one time and tell the truth another time?
It's clear that continuing at this rate we will accomplish just nothing.

However, please note that the point here is not what AI really is or isn't, the point here is what people think AI is and what people think they themselves can expect from AI.

Anyway, my humble and calm opinion is that to think together it is essential to have a common basis otherwise we will get nowhere.

Please note that you de facto say that currently we cannot believe anyone except you.
This way there is definitively no match and exchange of opinions is no longer possible.

"A few years ago, not many people outside of research labs were using models like BERT or GPT. That changed in November 2022, when OpenAI released ChatGPT.

According to the latest available data, ChatGPT had over 1.5 billion visits in March 2023. Microsoft incorporated ChatGPT into its search engine, Bing, and made it available to everyone in May 2023.

If chatbots become as popular as search engines, the energy costs of deploying the AIs could really add up. But AI assistants have many more uses than just search, such as writing documents, solving maths problems and creating marketing campaigns.

Another problem is that AI models need to be continually updated. For example, ChatGPT was only trained on data from up to 2021, so it does not know about anything that happened since then."

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/...-the-carbon-footprint-of-generative-ai-models

Please note that the corporations have not stated the above, but Associated Press* did.

*The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day."

If for you something like this can be considered a common basis then it's fine, otherwise there's no match and I'll say goodbye right away.

Please note that you de facto say that currently we cannot believe anyone except you.
No . like the X-files "trust NO one".
@OS Conspiracy, when you've got me.
No here , too ...
Money determines what truth oozes through. Profit determines intent.
OS
Hi, I start by saying that I agree that multinationals lie systematically, but do they always lie?
Short of outright lying , they could stack the response or just leave it open to interpretation (vague).

Or , what got this discussion going - AI's amplifier answers were outdated or just plain WRONG (and subjective).
If AI is trained with opinion , it's quite useless to me.
OS

The coding AI that I gave links to is cool.
It will suggest using a different library , or enlighten me to a different command in that library.
but is it really AI ?
Or , just a more refined search engine that can interface with my imperfect human requests ?
It still needs to know what port expander i'm using and what that expander hopes to control.
I think I'm training it with my requests as it gives me answers. After working with it for a week ,
it seems to be more intuitive for my subsequent new requests - it's learning along the way. (as am I).
OS

If AI is trained with opinion , it's quite useless to me.
To me too.
However, AI is loaded (trained is too much human, imo) with data.
CPUs calculate data.
AI is so many CPUs calculating so many data: where is AI intelligence?

In my opinion, if we started to stop attributing human/biological features to information technologies, everything would be more honest.
But corporations don't want to simplify things, far from it.

So I wonder: how does an intelligent (AI is not smart, it is just IT) and averagely educated person think that AI is constantly updating the bs of average users and that this makes it increasingly "smarter"?

Reflecting on this it then many things become self-explanatory to me.

Without wanting to consider the fact that such potentially dangerous technology is NOT regulated by any law around the world, yet ChatGPT had over 1.5 billion visits in March 2023 only.
But that's another story.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It maybe the weaknesses of current chatGPT are intentional.
It is the first hello of AI to the general public. It would be prudent not to scare people by a shear power introductory show.

I was watching this documentary (2016 events)
It is focusing on feelings of us humans (like in Asimov's trilogy).
George

More gpt fun

Comprehensive Guide to Designing a Phono Preamplifier
Introduction
A phono preamplifier, also known as a phono stage or phono preamp, is a critical component in the audio playback chain for vinyl records. Its primary role is to amplify the weak electrical signal generated by a phono cartridge and apply the necessary equalization to accurately reproduce the audio as it was originally recorded. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore the technical aspects of designing a phono preamplifier, delving into the history, key components, topology, cartridge types, loading options, RIAA equalization, noise management, and the integration of rumble and scratch filters to ensure a high-fidelity vinyl listening experience.

The History of the Phono Preamp
The journey of the phono preamplifier begins with the invention of the phonograph by Thomas Edison in 1877. Early phonographs employed acoustic recording and playback methods, with no need for electrical amplification. However, the transition to electric pickups and recording led to the requirement for amplification and frequency correction. The first phono preamplifiers were bulky, valve-based units, and their design evolved with the introduction of transistors and later, integrated circuits, leading to the sleek, high-performance preamps available today.

Phono Cartridge Types
Phono cartridges, or stylus, play a pivotal role in converting the mechanical vibrations of a vinyl groove into electrical signals. There are two primary types of phono cartridges:

Moving Magnet (MM) Cartridges: These are the most common and affordable cartridge type. MM cartridges generate voltage using a fixed magnet and a moving coil, creating a magnetic field variation that produces the electrical signal.

Moving Coil (MC) Cartridges: MC cartridges are known for their high fidelity but come at a higher cost. They work by moving a tiny coil within a magnetic field, generating the electrical output.

The choice of cartridge can significantly impact the design of the phono preamp due to differences in output levels and impedance.

Phono Cartridge Output Voltage and Loading
Output Voltage: Phono cartridges produce low-level electrical signals, typically ranging from 0.2 mV to 10 mV, depending on the cartridge type and model. To bring this signal to line level, the phono preamplifier must provide sufficient gain.

Loading: Loading refers to the impedance presented to the phono cartridge by the input stage of the preamplifier. It's essential to match the loading impedance with the specifications recommended by the cartridge manufacturer, which is often around 47 kΩ for MM cartridges. Correct loading preserves the cartridge's performance and ensures accurate reproduction.

Phono Preamp Topology and Equalization
The topology of a phono preamplifier influences its noise performance and frequency response accuracy. There are two main topologies to consider:

Single Op-Amp Topology: This basic approach uses a single operational amplifier for both voltage gain and RIAA equalization. However, this topology is susceptible to noise and may result in less accurate RIAA correction.

Two-Stage Amplifier with Passive RIAA Filter: A more advanced topology separates the voltage gain and RIAA equalization stages. In this design, the first stage handles voltage amplification, and a passive RIAA filter is employed to ensure precise frequency correction. Passive filters are inherently quieter as they do not introduce additional noise.

Disadvantages of a Single Op-Amp Topology
The single op-amp topology has several drawbacks, including:

Noise: This design may introduce more noise into the signal path due to the high gain requirements.

RIAA Accuracy: Achieving precise RIAA equalization in a single stage can be challenging, potentially leading to deviations in the frequency response.

Distortion: Distortion may be higher due to the increased signal amplification.

The Recording, Pressing, and Playback Process
To design an effective phono preamplifier, it's essential to understand the vinyl record playback process:

Recording: Audio is originally recorded onto a master disc, featuring physical grooves that represent the audio signal. Early recordings used mechanical techniques, but later advancements saw the adoption of electrical and magnetic recording.

Pressing: The master disc is used to create metal stampers, which, in turn, are employed to press vinyl records. This pressing process may introduce imperfections and variations.

Playback: When a vinyl record is played back, the stylus of the phono cartridge meticulously tracks the groove. This mechanical tracking process results in vibrations of the stylus, which are converted into an electrical signal by the phono cartridge.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
The Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) is a fundamental parameter for evaluating the quality of a phono preamplifier, providing insight into how well it separates the desired signal from unwanted noise.

A high-quality phono preamplifier should provide an SNR of 80 dB or higher, ensuring that the signal remains significantly above the noise floor.
Considerations in Phono Preamp Design
When designing a phono preamplifier, consider these critical factors:

Input Impedance: Match the input impedance of the phono preamplifier to the recommended load impedance of the phono cartridge, usually around 47 kΩ for MM cartridges.

Gain: Ensure the preamplifier offers adequate gain, typically in the range of 40-60 dB, to elevate the cartridge's output to line level.

RIAA Equalization: Implement a passive RIAA filter for precise and noise-free equalization. The RIAA curve, an industry standard for vinyl recordings, corrects for the bass-cut and treble-boost applied during recording.

Noise: Utilize low-noise components and layout techniques to minimize noise in the signal path, preserving audio fidelity.

Phono Preamplifier Component Selection
The selection of components is a critical aspect of phono preamplifier design. Careful consideration must be given to the choice of operational amplifiers (op-amps), resistors, capacitors, and power supplies. Op-amps like the OPA134 are known for their low noise and high fidelity characteristics, making them ideal for the first stage of amplification.

Passive vs. Active RIAA Filter
A passive RIAA filter is quieter than an active RIAA filter due to the following reasons:

Noise: Active RIAA filters, which use operational amplifiers, can introduce noise into the signal path. Passive filters, on the other hand, do not add additional noise.

Simplicity: Passive filters are simpler and require fewer components, reducing the chance of noise or distortion. They also preserve phase integrity.

Rumble and Scratch Filters
To further enhance the listening experience, you may consider integrating rumble and scratch filters into the phono preamplifier design. These filters help reduce unwanted low-frequency rumble and high-frequency scratches that can occur during playback.

Rumble Filter: A rumble filter is particularly effective at attenuating low-frequency noise, such as turntable vibrations or surface imperfections. Frequencies around 15 Hz are commonly targeted for rumble filters.

Scratch Filter: A scratch filter is designed to mitigate the impact of surface scratches or imperfections on the vinyl. Frequencies around 10 kHz are often chosen for scratch filters.

The best placement for these filters is typically after the RIAA equalization stage. This arrangement ensures that the filters do not interfere with the accuracy of RIAA correction.

Low-Noise High-Fidelity Phono Preamplifier Design
A well-optimized phono preamplifier design could encompass the following parameters:

First Stage:

Op-Amp: OPA134
Gain: 40 dB
RIAA Equalization Filter:

Passive RIAA filter
Second Stage:

Op-Amp: OPA134
Gain: 20 dB
Total Gain: 60 dB

Additional specifications:

Input Impedance: 47 kΩ
Output Impedance: 100 Ω
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 80 dB
The Balance of Resolving Capability
While it's vital to design a high-quality phono preamplifier, it's equally important to consider the balance of resolving capability. Excessive resolution may unveil imperfections and limitations in the LP recording and playback process, potentially leading to a less enjoyable listening experience. Striking a balance that offers a faithful representation of the source material while recognizing the practical constraints of vinyl playback is essential.

The Point of Diminishing Returns
In the quest for audio perfection, one may wonder about the point of diminishing returns when investing in better cartridges and phono preamplifiers relative to the turntable, tonearm, and record pressing. Here's why this concept is essential:

The turntable, tonearm, and record pressing play a pivotal role in determining overall sound quality, and significant investments in these components often yield substantial improvements.

Investing substantially in cartridges and phono preamplifiers beyond a certain point may not result in proportionate enhancements. This is because the turntable and pressing quality may not fully exploit these enhancements.

In conclusion, the design of a phono preamplifier is a complex and multifaceted task that demands a deep understanding of the various elements involved in the vinyl playback process. By carefully considering topology, component selection, and noise management, and by understanding the interplay between different components in the audio chain, you can design a phono preamplifier that strikes the perfect balance between audio fidelity and the practical limitations inherent in vinyl records.

Designing a phono preamp is a "human" endeavor. Considering it's purpose is to reproduce errors.
Not something to leave to AI , unless the AI is also trained in our "imperfections".
I'm learning this in designing analog VCO's/VCF's ... the "imperfections" are desirable. But .. I can design for this.
AND listen to the output on my protoboard.... real world rules.
OS

What jumped out to me was the absence of capacitance spec on the input. MM's are notorious for needing the correct input cap load. A few preamps have variable cap loading, while my hafler makes you solder in the correct value. As I said before, not terribly impressed with chat. chat also appears ignorant that MM's have higher output than MC's and the resistive load is quite different between them. It also goes back in history and yet omits ceramic carts. I think the training set for this ex, is really bad, so it failed to regurgitate a complete picture.

I dont think that GPT would have managed to find an analytical solution for modeling a diodes based rectifier or a simple complementary BJT output stage by its own means even if fed with all the mathematical and semiconductors physics litterature.

In the case of a BJT output stage it was believed in this forum, and for a reason, that there s no analytical solution, but yet there is one and it was discovered recently (as well as for the diodes rectifiers) by mean of an old equation which is known since 1758 or so, it s just that no one noticed its relevancy for the semiconductor domain till the 80s.

So as long as no human did notice the thing GPT would have been unable to sort out the solution even if all the necessary mathematical material is available since ages, it would have reproduced the usual approximations based on available and recorded human experiences.

And we wont even talk of solving mathematical problems that are still unsolved.

You can get any answer from chatGPT just by changing the way you ask.
Or just repeat the question. and you'll get a different answer.

And of course 80% of what chatGPT says is completely false, then you tell it that and it's like "yes, sorry for giving you incorrect information" (it says that no matter if you actually lied about the info being false or not)

It's just a search engine with a speech model glued onto that. Only actually useful thing from it is giving a lead on info as a last resort.