CD PRO 2 - The making of a high end CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
europe

Brian,

Where are you travelling to? I would buy an european hifi mag at the airport, they usually have adverts for various shops, etc.

HP,

regarding lettering, the dry tranfer types usually leave a residue, which affects the lettered zone. Have you tried engraving? Most jewelery shops will engrave for a small fee, and it is more permanent. The dry xfer stuff sometimes rubs off.

The knobs are surplus and I've seen them on Classe Audio. Top covers are usually surplus panels as well so I don't have to finish them. On my A75 amps I used 1/4" anodized panels without any ventilation slots. I've noticed that Alephs didn't have vents either and they work fine in spite of great heat they produce.;)
In my new amps I plan to place caps on the outside without covers, but since I paid fortune for them I'd like to expose them.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Gilid,

I am in Metz, France, and can travel anywhere in Europe within a decent distance. I have a extended Eurail pass, or I can rent a car. I have gone to Germany, Austria, Ireland, Switzerland, around France and the Czech. Republic so far. If anyone knows any good places in Europe, I can plan my weekend around them. I have no plans for this weekend, and am sick of going to all of the tourist sites and taking pictures, and need to spend less cash on activities, since I spent $800 a couple of weekends going skydiving, paragliding and canyoning in Interlaken, Switzerland. (pictures up at http://brian.darg.net )

I have gotten 2 audio magazines from Germany, and one from the Czech republic. I went to a couple of hifi places in Prague, and saw some pass labs products. I like the German audio magazines (even though I can't read german). Image Hifi is great, and has lots of pictures of internals of amplifiers, really good closeups of the pcbs. I wish there were magazines like this in the US. The other german mag: Audio Phile has some shots of the Pass Labs X600 (not many). I didn't get to go shopping in Germany, since I was with other people.

Anyone have any suggestions of good audio stores in Europe, Germany preferred, since I like renting fast german cars.

--
Brian

Brian,
I did a Europe trip on a bicycle once. I made 3,500 km in 30 days. I started in Paris, made a loop as far as Venezia and back to Paris. My impressions were as follows: Everything east of Paris is one big field with few small towns, Switzerland and Austria left the best memories, especially the area around Lausanne and Lake Leman as well as the area around St Anton in Austria. If it wasn't for Venezia (which is definitely worth seeing), nothern Italy didn't impress me much, it's more like Eastern Europe (which BTW is becoming a popular destination these days). Luxemburg was one big cigarettes store and looked like eastern France. Liechtenstain was very nice to see. I was kind of dissapointed wit Germany, did the Rhein and Mosel trip but expected to see more. If you like fast German cars you should see the south of Italy, it would probably take you only day and a half to get there.;)
As to "image hifi" I found it also as a better audio magazine in Germany.

Attachments

• eur.jpg
    eur.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5,244
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Interesting trip. That is a lot of mileage for 30 days. Speaking of bicycles, the Tour de France is coming through town tommorrow. It was in Luxembourg today. I agree that eastern France is kind of boring. I walked through town yesterday here in Metz, and could not find any decent hifi magazines or stores. The most hifi stuff that I have seen in one place was Prague. They had a lot of hifi stores. That was the only place over here that I have seen any Pass Labs stuff.

I might head down to southern italy. It does take around 16 hours to get there via train.

--
Brian

HPotter,

Have you finished your cd player? How does it sound? Would you post a picture or two of the final product?

Do you have any advice for others wanting to build with the cd-pro2? Would you be so kind as to post a schematic or even some general information on the layout and parts you used?

Many thanks.

brad

It does provide digital output as well as I2S. I resumed work on the project 2 days ago, after longer than expected holiday.;) I'm almost finished with a chassis and next step will be power supply. This will make unit able to operate and output both digital and analog signal.
Next step integrated DAC, this will take longer to complete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.