CD player with distortion. laser?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(To my eyes actually!) :D
I am very excited to hear that!

Nice job Mooly and Andy. I am proud to be on this forum with you guys, this really warms my heart. Please know that by helping grahamfocal with his endeavors you have taught me allot, and I'm sure others too.

grahamfocal, I am happy for you, not just for having a new and wonderful CD player, but also for the learning experience and for the awesome satisfaction.

Have fun, and enjoy allot of music :)

You are absolutely right, I hope others have learnt as much as me to along the way. It was frustrating at times, but now I feel I have the confidence to modify and check instead of looking at the circuit board like most men look at engines (pretending to know whats inside :D)
And thanks for your kind words as well.
I just hope that I can return the favour one day to someone else.

The CD player sounds amazing, leaps and bounds above my £600 sony blue ray player for sure.

:):):)

This has been an interesting, and very timely, thread, as I have a Phillips CD620 being used as a transport which is exibiting EXACTLY the same symptoms as Grahamfocal's - reads TOC, plays the disc but sounds horrendous.

I've been tearing my hair our wondering what to do, so Mooly, Andy and Grahamfocal - thank you for all the pointers!

On the basis that my player has the same fault, does anyone have a spare DRAM chip that they'd be willing to sell to/give me..?

Cheers :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This has been an interesting, and very timely, thread, as I have a Phillips CD620 being used as a transport which is exibiting EXACTLY the same symptoms as Grahamfocal's - reads TOC, plays the disc but sounds horrendous.

I've been tearing my hair our wondering what to do, so Mooly, Andy and Grahamfocal - thank you for all the pointers!

On the basis that my player has the same fault, does anyone have a spare DRAM chip that they'd be willing to sell to/give me..?

You would be best starting a new thread specifically asking for that part...
Parts - diyAudio

If you dont find one, website 'littlediode' do them for about £15 notes, you just have to ask them for a price.
Maybe there was a faulty batch of them, and yours and mine suffer from the same (hopefully) issue.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's as good a place as any.

The 5532 and 833 were widely used in by many manufacturers, and they are a superb specced IC... but so many others "sound" so much better. Subtle "better" but the difference can be like looking at £200 vs £2000 player if you appreciate the sonics. Hard to describe... you would have to try it for yourself.
The only advice I can give is fit sockets and try a few different types. They really are "plug and play" with a few basic safeguards, so see what's fitted first.

Out of all the threads on this forum "opamps" crops up the most.

The other thing to look at is recapping (electroylitics) as they will all be old by now.

Definitely try the opamps as it's so easy and guaranteed to make a difference.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This thread got silly and the op got banned ;) but it's interesting reading... just don't believe all you read to closely.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/154106-best-sounding-audio-integrated-opamps.html

I chirped in here,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...g-audio-integrated-opamps-51.html#post2012422
I'd still recommend the OPA2604 to replace a 5532 for "musicality" and something like the LM4562 for a state of the art device that really adds or takes away nothing... trouble is... it's when you fit something like that yet prefer something else that it all gets interesting.

You have to try for yourself... only you will know the sound that works for you :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's as good a place as any.

The 5532 and 833 were widely used in by many manufacturers, and they are a superb specced IC... but so many others "sound" so much better. Subtle "better" but the difference can be like looking at £200 vs £2000 player if you appreciate the sonics. Hard to describe... you would have to try it for yourself.
The only advice I can give is fit sockets and try a few different types. They really are "plug and play" with a few basic safeguards, so see what's fitted first.

Out of all the threads on this forum "opamps" crops up the most.

The other thing to look at is recapping (electroylitics) as they will all be old by now.

Definitely try the opamps as it's so easy and guaranteed to make a difference.

Uh oh, oh yes I can appreciate the difference. I will have to explain one day my history with hifi. I have been appreciating the difference between £200 and £2000 players since I was 11 when my brother in law introduced me to a simple but nice little hifi system.
So where can i get these op amps from (what do they do) that make the £200 sound like a £2k player, and how much are they? Are there normally 2 etc.
Might get them soon as, I want to start moding now, just dont tell the wife :eek:

This thread got silly and the op got banned ;) but it's interesting reading... just don't believe all you read to closely.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/154106-best-sounding-audio-integrated-opamps.html

I chirped in here,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...g-audio-integrated-opamps-51.html#post2012422
I'd still recommend the OPA2604 to replace a 5532 for "musicality" and something like the LM4562 for a state of the art device that really adds or takes away nothing... trouble is... it's when you fit something like that yet prefer something else that it all gets interesting.

You have to try for yourself... only you will know the sound that works for you :)

Found the OPA2604 but the OPA2604AP is that going to be the same?
Its only £8.99 from 'littlediode' sooo cheap, might buy one tonight.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
also found the LM4562 but its a LM4562NA-NOPB can I use that one?

First of all you need to know what's actually in there before ordering anything, so see what's fitted, and look under that "add on" PCB too.

I would recommend you get some decent 8 pin DIL sockets as well. If you settle on something you like you can solder them in for real later.

If /when you look to order make sure you get the DIL versions (that's dual in line) and refers to the package. Many are available as tiny tiny SMD (surface mount devices) which you don't want.

That price is outrageous from "littlediode"

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS|OPA2604AP.|OP AMP, DUAL FET IP, 2604, DIP8 | Farnell United Kingdom

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR|LM4562NA/NOPB.|Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp | Farnell United Kingdom

Sockets,
TYCO ELECTRONICS / AMP|1-390261-2|SOCKET IC, DIL, 0.3", 8WAY | Farnell United Kingdom

I would also get some small caps to add across the opamp supply pins... nothing scary. Says these are priced separately... strange usually have to order at least 5 or 10... I would get 10 anyway.

MULTICOMP|MCMLR100V104KX7R|CAPACITOR CERAMIC 0.1UF, 100V | Farnell United Kingdom

Back to the opamps and there are dozens to choose from. The two listed are as different as could be... that's probably enough for now to get the feel of things.

Data sheets for the opamps (if your interested) are PDF's on the Farnell pages or you can get most free here,

Datasheet catalog for integrated circuits, diodes, triacs, and other semiconductors, view

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think I have one of those too ......

Andy

What... a CD150 or a display :D

For the use mine gets it's not worth fixing, probably had 3 or 4 hours on the clock in the last 12 months... think some of the caps are failing too... last time it took a few goes to get it to play. Lack of use rather than overuse lol.

So thanks very so much if you were offering... very kind.

Main players a Micromega Stage 2... now that's a different story altogether :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.