Carlos' snubberized Gainclone Power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is what I am talking about:

As you see, the situation is still very much favourable: we are above a ground plane, not a long distance away, in the real life the tracks can only have higher parasitic capacitance...

Attachments

• img_0689r.jpg
    img_0689r.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,863
the response of this setup:
(Though first I would put the curves for the Jamicon only, 2 inches away from the pins)

What you can see, that the net impedance, not really ESL, but the resulting equivalent inductance of the original capacitor is significantly increased!

What will happen now with our classical bypass arrangement?

Attachments

• img_0676r.jpg
    img_0676r.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,690
These pics I have made so as to contribute to the topic, have a more clear view about the things what you were talking about.

But what if someone would like to get really nice, smooth phase, low impedance, as much as possible resistive bypass impedance?

Jamicon 10000 uF, 2inch away, 470 uF phil., + 680 nF stacked film with 0,33 ohm in series, locally on pins:

Attachments

• img_0683r.jpg
    img_0683r.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,630
Pinkmouse, thanks a lot for the fast moderation!

Jorge, I don't think that bypassing in itself would be a dangerous thing. These curves only saying that bypassing with FILM capacitors, because of their high Q & lowish ESR, is dangerous! but, as you see from the last graph, they can be tamed, by adding series resistance.

An other point is: It is not as much the high ESL of big cans that is causing problems, but the parasitic trace inductance! It means, film capacitors are always risky, not only with electhrolytics!

By the way, for the same reason, also OS CON-s can cause problems, although, otherways, they have very good parameters

example:

Attachments

• img_0664r.jpg
    img_0664r.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,553
oops, previous picture is an OS COn, sanyo SH 150 uF, 6.3v

I would like also to add, before going to bed, that unfortunately I do not think that these measurements would shed light on the real nature of Carlos's snubber modification. What I want to say, these are just measurements, I did not try them in the amplifier setup, so I don't know, what sonic differences they cause.

There is one thing, what I have never understood about using big caps - one can play with the bypass setup, and it is even possible to reach quite reasonable results. But what can You do with the enourmously raised level of current peaks, high current sharp impulses crashing into that big cap, radiating EMI all around?

Good night, george

Joseph K said:

There is one thing, what I have never understood about using big caps - one can play with the bypass setup, and it is even possible to reach quite reasonable results. But what can You do with the enourmously raised level of current peaks, high current sharp impulses crashing into that big cap, radiating EMI all around?

Good night, george

Yes...and the parasitics inductance of the circuit traces that connect the capacitors..and produce lots of resonant circuits....etc

Well is late!

PS: Many thanks for your input!

Buonna notte!!;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Joseph K said:
Pinkmouse, thanks a lot for the fast moderation!

It wasn't me, another mod got there just before I did! Seriously, though, for posts with high info content like yours, moderation is a formality. We don't do it to annoy new members, just to keep a lid on timewasters.

Anyway, back to your results. I would find it interesting to see such measurements on real amp pcb traces. Do you have anything around that you could just stick on your jig as a typical example?

We don't have a smooth impedance curve as shown but how much does this affect on an amp with a bandwidth of 100 kHz and a power bandwidth of 90 kHz?

These measurements shows also that Carlos' 1 ohms may be too little to eliminate this resonance.

Anyway the topic is interesting but unknown how important it is.

I'll appreciate Joseph's technical attitude to the question and not boasting that he "get's it". Gold star for this. :nod:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,
Who then wrote:

"That is exactly the way those multi-kilo dollar cable peddlers, brilliant pebbles, magic pens, whatever, etc make their killing. They insinuate that if you can't hear the enormous improvement with their stuff, you're one of these suckers with wooden ears. And who wants to be that, right?"

That was written clearly by someone who believes strongly that anyone who hears differences from "multi-kilo dollar cable, brilliant pebbles, magic pens, whatever, etc " is deluded, which inherently implies that there is no audible difference to start with.
[snip]Sayonara

No Thorsten,

I DONOT believe that someone who hears audible differences between cables is a sucker with wooden ears. My point is, that those cable peddlers etc would like you to believe so, and thus influence you into believeing you hear what they say you should hear, making you feel you're one of those golden ears. Independently whether there IS an audible difference or not.
That is my point, not more, not less.

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,
[snip]You may not say "X is reliably inaudible" but what you write is aimed at insunating that it is and that anyone who nevertheless hears any difference is a deluded fool and/or Suckered Sucker...

Sayonara

Thorsten, I understand you tactic to use these adjectives to put images up into people's mind that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You throw terms around like "pseudo" or "religious" etcetera. You're good at it, but it is not my game. I think it is cheap and unfair. So, you'll have to play this one without me, I'm afraid.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jeff mai said:

How then can a DIYer ever make reliable judgements? A blind test doesn't change the fact that you are involved in the results.

Do you hire uninvolved strangers to select the gear in your system?

You are still involved in the results, but if the test is set up well, you have no way to know which of the tested devices is the one YOU made. So, if the end result is that you can only identify YOUR stuff 50-50, there would be no audible difference. Yes I know there is more to it with significant deviations etc, but as a first approximation, that's the gist of it.

If you can identify YOUR stuff let's say 3 times out of four, without having ANY clue (other than the sound) which set is playing, or without even knowing that the set is changed between changes, if you get me, well, then I would feel strongly that there is a clear audible difference.

On the other hand, if you go to this store for the umpteemth time to drool at these great looking cables, and after a lot of nailgnashing you lay out 2 month's pay to buy them, and you get home, try them and report they sound great, hey, gimme a break!

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.