Car speakers on home?

Also there was a Volvo C70 IIRC that had Morel drivers in it... If this video is to be believed, they can't be that bad. Then again, they may be seen as more hifi drivers to begin with.
It was a 3-way Dynaudio system. Specifically they used what I understand is the 3" Esotec MD142 dome midrange sans grille. I have some from a Volvo, and they are a good deal if you can still find them for <$100/pr. Keep in mind that the cars they came from are almost 25 years old, so not all of them are going to be in good shape. There used to be heaps of those speakers being sold by auto wreckers on ebay/etc but I suppose in recent times those cars have dried up so the only people still selling them are audiophiles and the prices have gone up.
I think the woofer in the Volvo was a lesser version than what was included with the retail Esotec component sets, not sure about the tweeter. The woofer and tweeter in the retail set weren't anything to write home about, so I doubt the Volvo versions are worth obtaining.
I believe in turn the MD142 may be derived from the D76 hifi midrange. The MD142 is not worth the hundreds of dollars people are asking for them.

Last edited:
IMG_20200915_080200.jpg

IMG_20200915_094227.jpg

IMG_20200915_173750.jpg
Here's one of the speakers that I've used car drivers for, the ( coaxial ) tweeters were removed and the hole for the screw used to have a piece of studding to go through to clamp the drivers back to back. I'm currently making some more car based speakers using IN PHASE XTC17.2 drivers, they'll be on a 3 litre enclosure with an aperiodic vent to a second 6 litre enclosure. I'm currently running in the drivers without the tweeters using a contour network, they have treble but cymbals go " ssssss " rather than " TISSSSS ! ", so I might use the supplied tweeters, rear facing and wired out of phase to add some treble sparkle.

It was a 3-way Dynaudio system. Specifically they used what I understand is the 3" Esotec MD142 dome midrange sans grille. I have some from a Volvo, and they are a good deal if you can still find them for <$100/pr. Keep in mind that the cars they came from are almost 25 years old, so not all of them are going to be in good shape. There used to be heaps of those speakers being sold by auto wreckers on ebay/etc but I suppose in recent times those cars have dried up so the only people still selling them are audiophiles and the prices have gone up.
I think the woofer in the Volvo was a lesser version than what was included with the retail Esotec component sets, not sure about the tweeter. The woofer and tweeter in the retail set weren't anything to write home about, so I doubt the Volvo versions are worth obtaining.
I believe in turn the MD142 may be derived from the D76 hifi midrange. The MD142 is not worth the hundreds of dollars people are asking for them.

My instinct was they were Dynaudio too but when I rewatched he said Morel... Goes to show that getting info from YouTube isn't perfect. Cool experiment regardless.

I see some people saying how bad car audio drivers sound, but is this due to the driver or the environment? Cars are terrible listening environments for conventional speakers. The idea tho that some car drivers are catered to this environment and would have shortcomings in the home is also viable. I don't think there is a blanket statement that can sum up whether its a "go or no" on car audio drivers.

If anyone has some JBL W15GTI car subs they absolutely hate for hifi, and don't have a car... let me know! :D

Thanks for such comprehensive answers. What I'm trying to figure out is how do speakers differ when they're the same construction? Has anyone measured the distortion or frequency linearity of these speakers. Rigid suspension and high Qtc can have hi fi speakers, and they also vary the quality of the money invested. After all, has anyone had the opportunity to hear how car speakers sound at home?

They don't. ;)

Some of them, though recently Google has turned into more of a book of diverse advertisements that are totally irrelevant IME, so might not find very many [if any] anymore.

'Ipso facto', they don't necessarily perform the same above the driver's upper mass corner [Fhm = 2*Fs/Qts'] where T/S theory peters out and why I look at/recommend how low its inductance as a good indicator of wide BW performance and if high or not listed, then just assume its BW is only good for < ~ its EBP [Fs/Qes' or Qts' depending on who you ask].

[Qts']: [Qts] + any added series resistance [Rs]: Calculate new Qts with Series Resistor

[Rs] = 0.5 ohm minimum for wiring, so may be higher if a super small gauge is used as a series resistor plus any added resistance from an XO/whatever.

Many times as they were usually free for the taking from junked cars and/or were originally used in inexpensive HIFI speakers as [upper bass] mids - upper mids, i.e. AM and/or FM radio BW.

Re more recent offerings [if you can call the '90s 'recent'], I auditioned way more mobile audio systems than I can remember, but ultimately the [original?] Infinity Kappa series' round coax for the dash/rear channels and sub system behind the seats proved clearly superior under the typical horrendous auditioning conditions and proved to be well beyond my expectations in a '90 Chevy SS 454 PU and later in an '88 Mazda RX7 convertible, so the systems I recommended for both mobile audio and/or small HIFI 'book shelf'/computer systems later when joined the WWW.

Are you saying that car speakers can be used as a middle class in hi fi? It would just be desirable for them to be well-known brands and not too cheap?here it was said how car speakers are specialized for the environment in the car.I don't understand how constructively this can be done when I don't see any mechanical or electrical difference from Hi Fi speakers, except that the suspension is maybe firmer? Mention is made that the Xs diaphragm movement is less than that of Hi Fi speakers? Yes although they are more sensitive than Hi Fi speakers, due to the smaller diaphragm stroke they sound bad, example gramophone speakers.